Oris Aquis Date - Color and size dilemma
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Oris Aquis Date - Color and size dilemma

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Oris Aquis Date - Color and size dilemma

Hello!

I have narrowed down my search for my first automatic watch and came to the conclusion that it will be the Oris Aquis Date that I want. However, when I was trying both the 43mm and 40mm at my local AD, I was getting really unsure of firstly the size of the watch and secondly the color of the black 40 mm version. I wear a suit to work and I believe the 43mm will be too big and "flashy" for me in my line of work, and that the 40mm will be just perfect. I have been reading up on this watch for quite some time now, that it does wear smaller than it seems, but I am undecisive. Since I believe I have decided to go for the 40mm (changing my mind pretty often..) another question arose; the color of the dial looks way to gray than it should be. Is the 40mm the smarter choice when wearing a suit for work?

Is this normal due to light settings or is the black version usually this gray?

Name:  14513604_10153814326857797_1268721277_o.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  98.9 KBName:  14536650_10153814326532797_507941555_o.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  130.4 KB

Compared to this one that I found on the internet:
    Name:  blackcolor.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  226.5 KB

That one looks more black than the one on my wrist.

To sum it up:

Based on the pictures, is the 40mm the right way to go alongside a suit for a daily wearer or does it look way off? And lastly, regarding the color. Is the color on my picture the actual black color or is it some bad version of it?

This is my first grail watch I will be buying as an achievement for making it through university and landing my first great job, so please be kind if this question has been answered before, I have simply not found it.

Thank you!

Re: Oris Aquis Date - Color and size dilemma

I have the 40mm in grey with the Tungsten bezel. Love it. Also it's subtle which i quite like.

I've tried the 43mm. It wears a little to big for me.

Good luck with your decision. Cant go wrong either way!
    Konkret and DrGonzo like this.

The 43mm looks like it works on your wrist. Keep in mind that many people wear the Submariner, which is a 40mm but wears more like a 42mm, with a suit everyday and it works! It really depends on the size of your wrist and what you feel is right for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Victorinox Airboss Automatic
    Oris Aquis Date (Gradient Blue Dial)
    Vintage Oris Chronoris
    Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie Ultra Slim

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

after bracelet adjustment you will find 43 version just perfect. I had 40 mm and after 6 months changed it to 43. 40s little bit girly with this narrow bracelet, trust me

Wysłane z mojego SM-N920C przy użyciu Tapatalka
    sfl1979 likes this.

While I have never owned an Oris diver I feel qualified to chime in as I owned a Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish 42.
    In my profession I wore a suit almost daily. I took my position very seriously, as well as my attire. With that said, I personally would never wear a diver in a suit...never. Not to offend anyone but it looks "juvenile" imho. I either wore my DateJust or a vintage Omega (36mm) with a suit. Looked terrific and professional. Remember, just because you think it looks good may not be the case. I feel it's important to understand other's perception of you. I hear people say "it does not matter what other's think." Interesting concept lol...then why wear a nice suit at all? Why worry about the size of the watch? You see what I mean.

If you want a watch to wear with a suit, buy a dress watch. It's pretty simple actually.
    With regards to the size, I found the 42 to be near perfect for me at the time. As I have gotten older now (and retired), I enjoy wearing smaller watches (38-41 mm).
    chrusp likes this.

A compromise is a slate blue 43mm with brushed bracelet. The slate blue is understated (vs. the starburst blue you tried on) and the brushed bracelet cuts down the bling.

Timbre, Louie777, Sam-e and 1 others like this.
    "Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy Valvano.

If you wear a suit everyday, it might make sense to invest in a dress watch. Buy the dive watch you like best to wear casually.
    UofRSpider, Furball and supawabb like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Go for the 43mm. Quite a few people have played it safe and gone 40 only to realise how small Oris divers wear and wish they'd gone 43 instead.
    sfl1979 likes this.

If I was wearing a suit everyday I would be wearing a dress watch. Such as a Frederique Constant. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with wearing a dive watch with a suit. I wouls go with the 40 mm. The 43 is a bit obnoxious IMO. Especially if you are wearing a suit

mpalmer likes this.

I personally think the blue faced dial would go great with a suit. I wear the 43mm black dial. I think the blue dial looks more dressy than the black dial. My perfect size for me is 42mm, 40 just feels too small. The 43mm is a fairly chunky watch but is perfect for me. That said, I wouldn't want it any bigger. Whatever size that is in the picture, I think that blue dial will look great. I think the black dial is a little more versatile though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information