Oris Aquis was gaining time but now losing time
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Oris Aquis was gaining time but now losing time

Oris Aquis was gaining time but now losing time

Hi everyone,

New to the world of mechanical watches and the Oris Aquis Source of Life is my first mechanical watch. I bought it in August and overall it's been great. I understand that losing or gaining time here or there comes with the territory. However, is there anything to be concerned about if there's a clear change from consistently gaining to consistently losing or vice versa?

In particular, for the first week or so the watch was consistently gaining 1-2s per day. There was one day in there where it seeemd to suddenly be off by ten extra seconds, but I wound it a little (no idea if that was necessary) and it was accurate again for several days.

At some point, however, I noticed it seemed to be losing time slightly, and now it's consistently 3-4 seconds slow per day, which seems like it's edging up to actually being out of spec (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that last part).

I wear the watch every day. In terms of storing the watch when it's off my wrist, I don't think there are any major changes. It's always on a flat surface, and with the pronounced crown and crown guard I think it's always resting on the same side.

In terms of wear and tear, it did take a couple of somewhat hard knocks. The worst of which was slipping off my wrist onto a countertop on day 2, although that didn't seem to affect accuracy. Aside from that, one encounter with those spring-loaded airplane bathroom doors and maybe one other bump. Also took it swimming a couple times.

Only other change from the first week is now the watch seems to be constantly fully wound since I wear it so often.

A few questions:

1) Is there anything to be concerned about based on the above info?
    2) If I did want someone to take a look, should I send this to Oris or just have any reputable watch repair shop take a look (will this affect water resistance?)?
    3) General question about warranty: at some point down the road before the warranty expires should I send this to Oris for a tune up?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sent from my SM-G973N using Tapatalk

Re: Oris Aquis was gaining time but now losing time

I believe that the spec for that watch is -5 SPD so It’s still within specs (if I’m right, that is) Keep an eye on it and have a word with the dealer if it continues to bug you or it goes out of spec. I wouldn’t take it to a watchmaker as it will m most likely invalidate your warranty. Have you registered it with My Oris for a third year’s warranty? (I assume you bought it from an AD)
    Picnic likes this.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it. Wasn't sure if these watches had a settling in period or if those knocks had something to do with it or if it just needs observation.

I did register the watch. I was also curious if it's normal protocol to get the watch checked out at least once under warranty to kind of prepare it for the long haul.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

What method do you use to monitor its accuracy?
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

1) Set the watch every 5-7 days
    2) Account for it being slightly slow (~0.5s = reaction time plus pushing in the crown)
    3) Hold phone up to watch at approximately the same time the next day (and the next day...) and once the phone changes time see how many seconds are left before the watch hits 12
    4) Check multiple times in succession as part of the test

Pretty clear pattern of running very slightly fast vs. now being consistently slow. Open to any verdict but while I know watches can keep time differently in different positions, I wanted to see if going from always gaining time to always losing time was a concern.

lvt

Did you make a test to see whether your watch is magnetized?
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I haven't tested yet to see if it's magnetized. One other thing I haven't done is test the watch's performance in different positions.

When I first bought the watch, I was on a business trip and also had a nagging wrist injury, so it's possible I wore the watch for significantly fewer hours per day than I do now. I'm curious if more time off the wrist lying on its side induces some kind of speeding up.

Not real optimistic that this is the answer but worth checking I suppose if for no other reason than understanding my watch better.

Thread Information