Oris Big Crown Propilot Date: Defect on case or normal?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Oris Big Crown Propilot Date: Defect on case or normal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris Big Crown Propilot Date: Defect on case or normal?

Hello! I just picked up my very first mechanical watch after gaining an interest in watches after the announcement of the Apple Watch. Yup, the Apple Watch got me interested in watches. I almost bought the Apple Watch but after the hype died down I realized that a watch with a blank screen felt soulless to me and the last thing I wanted was another electronic device "updating" me throughout the day.

So I went with an Oris Big Crown Propilot Date and so far I'm really enjoying it. I think it looks great on my wrist. When I brought it home though, I started taking a close look at all of the details and the beautiful craftsmanship of the watch but I spotted two details that seem a bit off to me. One of them is on the clasp. Theres a spring that holds down the flap on the clasp and the spring's end is sticking out of the case. I saw a picture on a review site that showed the same detail so that makes me believe it's simply the way the watch is made. Although I wonder why Oris wouldn't bend the the spring's metal end back into the case to hide it.

The second detail that seems off is around the bezel of the watch. There's a small gap between the bezel and the case. I attached a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm assuming this is probably the way the watch is supposed to be. It does look symmetrical in person, although not in the picture, which makes me feel inclined to think that it's by design. If this isn't by design, my only concern would be whether or not this would affect the watches water resistance.

Can anyone chime in and let me know if I should be concerned?

Much thanks for the help.Name:  P9050001.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  973.7 KB
    Last edited by FirstMechanical; September 6th, 2015 at 10:48.

Re: Oris Big Crown Propilot Date: Defect on case or normal?

Normal. It's for removing the bezel.

Enjoy that watch. It's a beauty.
    Kohe321 likes this.

Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

Interesting introduction to watch appreciation. I think the high price tag of the Apple watch might have that effect on others. Hopefully anyway. My thinking is, once people decide they will pay over a certain amount for a watch, say 6,7, or 8 hundred on watch, perhaps they will realize the gorilla glass and soul less circuitry of a smart watch will not have the longevity of a nice mechanical. The craftsmanship, the history, the beating heart. That's my take anyway
    Last edited by John333; September 6th, 2015 at 17:34.
    TradeKraft and Jeff Scott like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good for you - discounting the Apple Watch in favour of an Oris. It's a normal bezel so don't let it interfere with your enjoyment of the watch.
    Jeff Scott and Richerson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    Normal. It's for removing the bezel.

Enjoy that watch. It's a beauty.
    That's what I was hoping to hear, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by John333 View Post
    Interesting introduction to watch appreciation. I think the high price tag of the Apple watch might have that effect on others. Hopefully anyway. My thinking is, once people decide they will pay over a certain amount for a watch, say 6,7, or 8 hundred on watch, perhaps they will realize the gorilla glass and soul less circuitry of a smart watch will not have the longevity of a nice mechanical. The craftsmanship, the history, the beating heart. That's my take anyway
    The Apple Watch actually has sapphire glass, only the sport edition has gorilla glass. There's a lot of things to really like about it, the quick release watch strap system being one of them. I'm inclined to believe that the watch industry can learn a thing or two from Apple in this regard. If the Oris had a quick release system I would buy at least 1 other strap to change up things. But as far as mechanical watches versus smartwatches goes, I believe we are going to see a push against the constant computerization of our lives. Not just in watches either, but in a greater scope. For example, Vinyl is having a mini-resurgence. There's also still a group of photographers who hold analog film dear to their heart, young and old. For the short term, it'll be interesting to see how much interest smartwatches hold over the longer term. Right now they are new and people are interested and I'm seeing more and more Apple Watches in the wild but for how long they'll hold people's interest will be interesting to see.

I'm 32, so I'm not old at all but a mechanical watch is something of a push back by me against the computerization of my life. I'd say about half the time I take my phone out of my pocket it's to look at the time. So part of the reason I bought a watch is to help me leave the phone in my pocket. The other part is because I've always had a thing for watches, since I was kid but somewhere down the line they left my memory. Then the Apple Watch came along, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Good for you - discounting the Apple Watch in favour of an Oris. It's a normal bezel so don't let it interfere with your enjoyment of the watch.
    Got it, thanks! So far, I'm really enjoying wearing a watch again after not having worn one for a very long time. This is the first mechanical watch I've owned and easily the nicest watch I've ever owned. I always lusted after watches like these as a kid but I finally have the means to actually make a purchase like this. As much as I'm loving my new watch, I feel the Oris 65 still calling me. When I was talking to the dealer about which watch I should go with, I couldn't decide between the Big Crown or the Diver 65, he knew I'd probably be back for the Diver 65 and he may just be right.
    nesal, BrentYYC and Jeff Scott like this.

Does anyone else see OP's quote of John333's and Sticky's posts as attributed to me? Weird.

Disclosure:

Quote Originally Posted by John333 View Post

Sorry I love my mechanical Watches, but all watches are soulless.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMechanical View Post
    As much as I'm loving my new watch, I feel the Oris 65 still calling me. When I was talking to the dealer about which watch I should go with, I couldn't decide between the Big Crown or the Diver 65, he knew I'd probably be back for the Diver 65 and he may just be right.
    LOLOL... That's how the addiction starts. Welcome to the 'madness'.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMechanical View Post
    ...I believe we are going to see a push against the constant computerization of our lives. Not just in watches either, but in a greater scope.
    Just a couple of weeks ago we bought two cast iron waffle irons that you put on top of a stove! No electricity, no Non-Stick chemical surfaces, no programing the perfect waffle to be made while we are still in bed, etc.!

I recently bought my first mechanical watch this past June, a ProPilot Day Date with the SS bracelet, fantastic watch. And I got my second one a month later, an Artix GT Chronograph, and even nice watch!

Congrats on getting a BCPPD, I would have bought that but I wanted the day complication, too.
    tsteph12 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Just a couple of weeks ago we bought two cast iron waffle irons that you put on top of a stove! No electricity, no Non-Stick chemical surfaces, no programing the perfect waffle to be made while we are still in bed, etc.!
    Ah, and now you must try cooking pizza on the grill with a flat-iron skillet. Best possible without a full blown brick pizza oven.
    Jeff Scott likes this.

Disclosure:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information