Oris Big Crown Propilot Date Review
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Oris Big Crown Propilot Date Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris Big Crown Propilot Date Review

I have had this Oris Big Crown Propilot Date for a few weeks and I thought I would share my thoughts. This will be my first review, so bear with me.
    Before purchase, I was eyeing a Damasko DA 46, but WatchMann was out of stock and I began to look around while I waited. I found this Oris with a metal bracelet for under $1000 (MSRP is $1800) and thought it seemed like a good value, so I went for it (putting the Damasko back on the wish list). Already having a Type A B-URH Pilot Watch, I liked the Oris Propilot’s case and the general modern take on historical pilots watch. These details along with the cool fixed bezel is what drew me into this purchase.
    Like any good pilots watch the legibility is top notch, with the clean dial and white hands. Lume leaves room for improvement, as the BGW9 lights up well right away, but fades quickly. The lume areas are pretty narrow, so not sure what could be done to improve here.
    This is my nicest watch with a brushed finish, so I don’t have much to compare it to, but the brushing size on the case and bracelet has a very fine texture and looks great. I got this on bracelet, but this one looks great on a variety of leather and Nato straps (see below). Getting the bracelet on and off was a little more difficult than on other watches. I figure that the end links have a tighter tolerance than I am used to, so the back sides of the lugs are getting their fair share of scratches.
    The Oris 751/ Sellita SW220-1 movement is running about +10 sec/day and seems a little more noisy than some of my other automatic. This isn’t rotor noise, but that the movement itself might be a little loose. Took it to my watch guy and he couldn’t identify any issues, so not a big deal but worth noting.
    Overall, I really enjoy that watch. The profile/turbine bezel insert are my favorite parts of this watch, along with the different style of hands, which I don’t have anything like in my current collection. See below for some different strap combinations. Thanks for reading!

Update: One thing that I really like and forgot to mention, is that the crown disengages from the movement when screwing it down. This makes the screw down action so much smoother than when you are hand winding the movement while setting the crown.

With stock bracelet:
    Name:  IMG_0406.JPG
Views: 1492
Size:  331.7 KBName:  IMG_0408.JPG
Views: 1481
Size:  326.2 KBName:  IMG_0407.JPG
Views: 1457
Size:  306.4 KB

Nato Straps:
    Name:  IMG_20150822_110700.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  407.8 KBName:  IMG_0415.JPG
Views: 1464
Size:  325.1 KBName:  IMG_0414.JPG
Views: 1465
Size:  313.9 KB

Olive leather Nato:
    Name:  IMG_20150822_104441.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  608.9 KB

Coal leather strap:
    Name:  IMG_0413.JPG
Views: 1453
Size:  410.0 KBName:  IMG_0411.JPG
Views: 1438
Size:  304.9 KB

My favorite angle on the watch:
    Name:  IMG_0419.JPG
Views: 1443
Size:  286.8 KB

Case back:
    Name:  IMG_0418.JPG
Views: 1433
Size:  366.9 KB
    Last edited by thejames1; August 29th, 2015 at 18:17. Reason: Update
    For Instagram photos: thejames80

Re: Oris Big Crown Propilot Date Review

Good review. I've been eyeing the new ProPilot 111. It's gorgeous and so versatile (as you very aptly showed - great pics BTW!). The 111 would be my first Oris piece, and I'm very curious about he build quality of the brand. I haven't made it out to my local AD yet to see them in person, I'm hoping to next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    boomguy57 likes this.
    “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

The 111 would definitely be a step up, as the Date only version seems to be at the bottom the the ProPilot series. However, this was my first Oris and am waiting for the Diver Sixty-Five to come out. Hope the Oris meets your expectations in person!
    TechGuyJ and boomguy57 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting. The watch looks great and to top it off the pics are fantastic.
    thejames1 likes this.

I love the design of the new 111. Simple but stunning (at least in pictures). If it lives up to it in person, I'll likely choose it over the IWC Pilot I've been eyeing for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Great review! I have this Oris and really like it too. What I think makes this watch so interesting and unique are the features you pointed out:

- The knurled bezel and crown. The crown almost feels sticky it's so grippy. A pleasure to wind.

- The cool font. I love the radiused 4 -- reminds me of my Heuer Bund and other classic aviation watches.

- The unique date wheel. The date is bigger than standard and Oris made it just for this watch. Beautiful and super easy to read.

- The unique hands. Well done Oris for coming up with something attractive and different than anybody else.

This watch is a real winner. Congratulations on yours, thejames1. By the way, you're right to keep the Damasko on your wish list. It's also an incredible value and an amazingly cool watch!

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post

Myron

Awesome collection Myron! Looks like I will be looking for a 20mm Brown strap now - yours looks great.

Sent from my HTC One
    boomguy57 likes this.
    For Instagram photos: thejames80

Quote Originally Posted by thejames1 View Post
    Awesome collection Myron! Looks like I will be looking for a 20mm Brown strap now - yours looks great.

Sent from my HTC One
    Thanks! I made these straps myself from Horween shell cordovan. I make all my own straps and sell the odd one here or there. Drop me a PM if you have any interest.

Congratulations again on your Oris. They are fantastic everyday watches and an incredible value.

Best,

Myron
    boomguy57 likes this.

LH2

Nice review, and congrats on a sweet watch!

Also - Myron's straps are excellent, don't hesitate to try his wares!
    Myron likes this.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Cracking watch, not a fan of the NATO strap though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information