ORIS Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 - a WiS's dream come true!
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: ORIS Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 - a WiS's dream come true!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

ORIS Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 - a WiS's dream come true!

WIS = Watch Idiot Savant. A person who knows, or professes to know, a lot about watches and is also quite fanatical about watches. In my case, I do profess to know a fair bit about watches and, unfortunately, very little about most other things! I can't possibly review this watch to the same extent as all the professional reviews out there, so this will really be my personal experience in purchasing and owning the watch.

When this ProPilot X - PPX - was announced Thursday morning, it was love at first sight. I spent literally the entire day frantically digging around for all the information I could find in countless reviews, and looking at all the photos I could find. Already I knew without seeing the watch in real life, that I had to own one. It occurred to me at 1 o'clock in the morning on Friday, that Time & Gold here in Vancouver, just might already have one. If not, I had to pay a visit anyway, and hopefully spend countless more hours discussing the watch at length with all the amazing people at the shop. I have been a proud customer there since 1997 and absolutely love everyone there and the time they are willing to spend with me chatting about all watches, and not necessarily only the ones they sell. Well, yesterday was no exception, and an absolute dreamy way to spend a couple of hours.

They had the watch! And it had only been in the display for a few hours. And nobody had been able to spend any time really looking at it, apart from taking it out of the box and putting it in the display. So, for a couple of fun-filled hours we all spent time analyzing every aspect of this beautiful piece. This type of interaction with AD staff is when you know without a doubt that you are dealing with only the best folks. The owner himself, who is an expert watchmaker, got involved with the thorough examination of the watch along with the rest of us, and we all came to the conclusion that we were looking at a masterpiece. For me, a truly memorable few hours.

So I came away with the watch strapped to my wrist. Feeling a bit guilty that any other customers in the next few weeks would be unable to see the watch in real life. I love every bit of this watch. The research and development which has gone into the watch is remarkable. I never thought owning a watch with a skeletonised caliber would be possible for me. Most I have seen are automatic movements, some with date function, and just far too complicated looking for my taste. Having a manually wound movement with no complication other than small seconds is absolutely ideal. To be able to glance at the dial and make out every single component at a glance, and still be able to very clearly read the time, is so satisfying. To be able to see the movement come to life while winding the mainspring and watching the power reserve indicator move is the best possible human interaction one can have with a watch. This, to me, above all else is the essence of what this watch means to me.

The use of titanium for case, movement and bracelet is ideal, and the greyish brown hue of the metal along with totally brushed surfaces of these components, gives what I call a very industrial look to the watch. Even though it is light, it has a very strong and robust feel to it. Very futuristic design including the exquisite and very comfortable bracelet, and the turbine bezel just seems to bring it all together. The crown is perfect size, and it's operation is as good as any I have seen and tried. The clasp which is designed around a seat belt style, even has "LIFT" on the release, and feels very sturdy and secure. While holding the watch and seeing it from the side, the bracelet looks perhaps a bit thin. But the center links a really quite thick, and the outside links taper out to the edges, so the bracelet looks thinner than it really is. Some argue otherwise, but to me it is the perfect tool watch. Especially with a screwed down crown and a water resistance rating of 100m, the watch is ready for almost anything.

There is really not a single rounded surface on the watch and with the angular effect of all the facets really contributes to the futuristic design. No polished surfaces either, but there is still a sparkle and a warm glow emanating from the watch. A few details about the watch, and then a slew of photos. There are countless reviews and excellent photos online, so I won't go into more explanation:
    Case width 44mm
    Case height 13mm
    Lug to lug length 51.5mm
    Lug width 22mm
    Case, bracelet and movement material mainly Grade 2 and Grade 5 Titanium with a few brass components
    Sapphire crystal with AR coating, sapphire case back
    Caliber 115 based on 110 Caliber series, manually wound, with 10 Day Power Reserve

Photos of case and bracelet at various angles, and macros of dial side of movement:

I would also like to add that I have shown this watch to a lot of people in the past 24 hours. Most of them working or visiting at various AD locations downtown, and not just
    Oris ADs. Every single person without exception has thought so highly of this watch, and absolutely no criticism for any aspect. It is so cool to see folks who sell other
    brands than Oris totally approve of the watch. I would say an amazing tribute or Oris and this PPX!

Hope you enjoyed my review and countless photos. This is really a big part of the fun for me!

Cheers,
    Carl
    Last edited by carlhaluss; September 8th, 2019 at 09:06.
    Jeff Scott, lassus, B79 and 17 others like this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: ORIS Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 - a WiS's dream come true!

Again, big congrats! Thanks for the review and photos! Really appreciate it. Wow, I’m just in love with this thing. I love all the little details that keep coming out as I look at more photos. Even the crown guards have beautiful, crisp lines and the crown itself has that sharp turbine design on it. Love it! Enjoy!
    carlhaluss likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    Again, big congrats! Thanks for the review and photos! Really appreciate it. Wow, I’m just in love with this thing. I love all the little details that keep coming out as I look at more photos. Even the crown guards have beautiful, crisp lines and the crown itself has that sharp turbine design on it. Love it! Enjoy!
    Thanks. I am glad you noticed all the detail about the crown guards as well as the crown. The crown guards is actually one of my favorite features of the case, as small as they are. Every detail about this watch is a joy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

B79

Congrats again Carl.

If you have any means of measuring and can find the time, I love to hear how this new movement performs over a day at full wind, 1/2 and 1/4 etc.

Thanks for the reviews and I hope the new toy on Christmas day feeling lasts a very long while. She is a beauty.

Cheers,

B79
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B79 View Post
    Congrats again Carl.

If you have any means of measuring and can find the time, I love to hear how this new movement performs over a day at full wind, 1/2 and 1/4 etc.

Thanks for the reviews and I hope the new toy on Christmas day feeling lasts a very long while. She is a beauty.

Cheers,

B79
    Thanks. I have been playing around with the watch so much, and all my friends at the AD as well, so we wound it up as far as 9 days. Tomorrow probably I will give it the full wind and start monitoring the timekeeping. Unlike the Panerai PAM 562 8 Day I had, this fortunately has hacking seconds and the power reserve indicator. I am sure the feeling for this watch will last a long time!

Cheers,
    Carl
    B79 likes this.

Thanks for these absolutely crisp pictures. There are several Aspects i really Love with that Watch. Foremost it is the clasp and that modern bracelet. Then, i usually don’t like skeletons, but this one is really nice executed, it’s a really modern Design.

The only thing i don’t like is the size. But i Hope this Watch Will Be the beginning of a whole new series of watches.

The 65 line on the vintage-y side and this modernized design on the other, and oris is all-set for the Next years ;)

Typed by throwing coconuts randomly at my keyboard.

More watches? @brrrzkrrz on ig.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarak Trisaltuol View Post
    Thanks for these absolutely crisp pictures. There are several Aspects i really Love with that Watch. Foremost it is the clasp and that modern bracelet. Then, i usually don’t like skeletons, but this one is really nice executed, it’s a really modern Design.

The only thing i don’t like is the size. But i Hope this Watch Will Be the beginning of a whole new series of watches.

The 65 line on the vintage-y side and this modernized design on the other, and oris is all-set for the Next years ;)

Typed by throwing coconuts randomly at my keyboard.

More watches? @brrrzkrrz on ig.
    Thanks. With the huge mainspring and barrel I think it would be next to impossible to fit all the components in a smaller size. And the case was basically built around the movement. Yes, I wonder what will be next. I don't think they want to do much more with this particular movement, like adding complications such as a date. It would just add too much clutter to the simple movement. I got a couple of Diver 65 as well, and really love them. Like you say, they really are set!!

Cheers,
    Carl

Congrats and thanks for the speedy purchase and nice review on the 115. Lots of nice photos too, though not enough of my favourite part the back. ;)
    I think the 115 is a touch monotone for me, I really like the touches of red on my power reserve indicator.

While some like the angularness (if that is a word) and crisp lines of the 115 I prefer the more rounded lines of the 111.

That being said damn I want a 115 barrel in my 111.
    trhall, carlhaluss and nigelw like this.
    Alpina, Ambassadeurs, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

Thanks for the pics and review. This watch certainly has a big WOW factor, hoping that Oris will release a 40-41mm version.
    carlhaluss likes this.
    Instagram - @fenil_tp

Yeah, yeah, just rub it in Carl, why doncha .

Just kidding .. Feeling a little envious because she is too big for my puny wrist and is, quite frankly, magnificent. Unfortunately I suspect we won’t see a smaller-sized skeleton from Oris any time soon because of the diameter of the inhouse movement.

Congrats once more, and great review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    carlhaluss likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information