Oris Force Recon GMT: taking advantage of Marines
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By poison

Thread: Oris Force Recon GMT: taking advantage of Marines

The new Force Recon watch is billed as a SpecOps-grade watch, created in partnership with those it is named after. The CEO of Oris says a portion of the proceeds will benefit the units programs:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe...mt-diver-18171

A number of Recon Marines have called Oris to task on this, and in snooping twitter, I saw a response clarifying that they support the MCCS, the Marine Corps Community Service, in vague terms.

http://www.usmc-mccs.org/careers/who...m#.VdSVgM1lBE8

There is no mention of when, how, how much, etc. Essentially Oris has capitalized on the hard earned reputation, forged in blood and lives, of the elite Force Recon, without committing to give back to the very unit they named their watch after. This is a cynical use of that reputation, and isn't making members of that unit happy. I would assume the last thing Oris would want to do would be to insult and offend the fine members of the Force Recon.

A quick word from Oris on exactly how this benefits the Force Recon could quietly put this to rest.
    Last edited by poison; August 19th, 2015 at 16:53.

Re: Oris Force Recon GMT: taking advantage of Marines

This is no different than Luminox's shameless exploitation of the Navy SEALs due to their long and storied "history" together. Its nothing more than a marketing stunt. The only difference is that Luminox never promised to divert proceeds like Oris is doing. "Taking Advantage" unfortunately is what makes capitalism work, we as consumers of course do the have the recourse to elect to not buy said products.

As you said, it actually is different, since they have said they will be making unspecified donations. Supporting the MCCS is a vague concept, and using the force recon reputation, but donating *something * to the MCCS, is getting amg performance at smart car pricing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear Nate,We take greatly to heart the comments you made about this partnership. This
    watch was developed in conjunction with and tested by 4th Force Recon
    Company Marines. Through this partnership, we received a license to use the
    Force Recon name for this watch from HQMC and the licensing fees we paid go
    directly to the HQMC Trademark Office and from there flow to MCCS. Given
    your feedback and that of others, we have also reached out to the Force
    Reconnaissance foundation to see how we can help. Please understand that
    this partnership was conceived with genuine intention with Force Recon Marines and was not an attempt to just use the Force Recon name without permission or purpose. We hope that all in the Force Recon community will support this project after understanding how it truly came about.

---

Nice response.
    Ryan Williams likes this.

I have it on good information that Oris is in contact with Force Recon directly, and working hard to resolve the issue. Very nice expedient response, good job, Oris. That's a stand up company!

With lots of customers coming from China and middle east and Russia, i'm not sure marketing on the US Army is such a good idea ...

Quote Originally Posted by hannesr View Post
    With lots of customers coming from China and middle east and Russia, i'm not sure marketing on the US Army is such a good idea ...
    Someone somewhere is offended by anything you can think of. There are plenty of other watches to choose from.

Oris has gone above and in resolving this, and continues to work with Force Recon. Really impressive response!

Nice of Oris to respond and clarify. By the way, you just insulted a bunch of current and ex-Marines referring to the U.S. Army. The U.S. Army has its own equivalent to Force Recon.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by hannesr View Post
    There buying Rolex AP and Patek

Ha, if this upsets you, you should go research the susan g komen foundation! Oris makes a top quality product for a fair price. Go ..... about Kraft's "partnership" with all of the armed forces......

Thread Information