Oris John Coltrane
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Oris John Coltrane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris John Coltrane

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
    My history with watches is quite unexciting. With the advent of Treo, and especially with the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, I became one of those people who started whipping out their phones to check time. My watches...I can't even recall from where...gathered dust for years until I got fed up with not being able to tell the time at the end of the day because of a dead battery. I got a very basic Citizens EcoDrive watch which I promptly lost, which lead to getting another Citizens, this time a Perpetual Chrono A-T Black Dial. I love that watch. It has served me very well for the last three years, but it's looking very banged up.
    So we come to this year. I decided to get my daughter a nice watch, and we settled on a Tag Heuer Aquaracer ss black dial at the local AD. I also got my wife a Baume et Mercier Hampton black dial for Xmas because she's had her faithful Seiko for over a decade and she so deserves an upgrade. However, now I'm started feeling a bit of watch envy, so I started looking around. (My search usually led me to this forum sooner or later. Sorry about the long lead.) I really became enamoured with the Aquis date 43mm, and I even ordered one from before changing my mind to a Squale 50 Atmos ss. I should've stopped there. Obviously, looking at the title to this post, I didn't. Instead of being satisfied with a very robust works watch, I lost all reason when I saw a picture of the John Coltrane LE. I saw a used one on eBay and after some haggling, I got it. Unfortunately, they're missing the presentation box. So my question is, how much is the lack of the box going to hurt me if I sell the watch later on? They have a warranty card and everything else. I'll probably have the watch checked out when it arrives later this week to check it's a genuine Oris. I'm also wondering if the Coltrane can serve as a everyday wear piece? Anyone out there have one? Thanks.
    Last edited by Chris Hohne; December 15th, 2015 at 04:07.

Re: Oris John Coltrane

I can't tell you how much the lack of the box will hurt the resale price if you come to part with it but I can see no good reason why the Coltrane shouldn't make a lovely daily wear.

10-20% less. Total ballpark, with many exceptions. Like vintage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

(Thanks for the edit Chris. I got a bit involved with the long post and I let it slip by.)

I guess I was a bit hesitant about the idea of the Coltrane being an everyday watch because it seems so less robust than the Squale 1521. Sometimes, I have to load a lot of gear for work(photographer) and the Citizen is showing some scars.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenx View Post
    10-20% less. Total ballpark, with many exceptions. Like vintage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was able to talk them down slightly more than 20% in the end. I'm going to enjoy the watch for a long time, before I decide whether to sell.
    I don't think the seller really knew how scarce these watches are...at least, I had a hard time finding one for less than $1700.

Personally, I would not worry about the resale value. Just wear the watch in good health and enjoy it.

Welcome to the forums! Unique choice. Congrats on your new Oris!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

The Coltrane is a classy piece. Don't forget pics when you get it!

Im sorta like you. New and looking for used at the moment. Congrats

I'm eagerly waiting for the Coltrane to get here, but, in the meantime, I've decided to keep the Squale as well. I'm really diving into the vintage look with both feet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information