Oris Rubber Strap Question
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Oris Rubber Strap Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oris Rubber Strap Question

This is my first post here. I took delivery this week of a black 43mm Aquis Date with a Rubber Strap. It may be my favorite watch I ever put on (and best value).

With all that said, my OCD is getting the best of me. The strap design and clasp is brilliant (although I imagine myself ordering 10 extra clasps because I know it will be scratched up pretty bad).

My issue is that I did in fact have the strap cut a little and it still seems big (by an authorized dealer). I have the clasp on the 3rd from last hole on the strap and the tightest setting of the clasp (I really don't scuba dive.....but if I did....I couldn't adjust it any more).

The tail wraps up 3/4 of the way on the inside of my wrist causing the overall diameter ON ONE SIDE to bulge and not be symetrical. Candidly it took a lot of adjusting to get the clasp to sit directly on the bottom of the wrist with the asymmetry.

So the question: IS THIS NORMAL? I will post a photo later.

Re: Oris Rubber Strap Question

I'm a little confused as unless you have really small wrists like mine there should be no need to cut the Oris strap. Big watch + little wrist meant that the AD had to cut a bit off where the strap attaches to the sledge on my ProDiver.
    The way you describe the tail curling round your wrist and making the strap "bulge" sounds normal but you know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Name:  20150628_090607 (450x800).jpg
Views: 546
Size:  179.7 KBName:  20150628_090600 (450x800).jpg
Views: 552
Size:  187.6 KBName:  20150628_090612 (450x800).jpg
Views: 550
Size:  158.1 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In the first photo you can note the tail wrapping around the 'right side of the wrist'.

In the second photo you can see the clasp at its tightest mirco-adjustment setting.

Obviously I can loosen the hole the clasp is set on and then relocate the micro-adjustemnt of the clasp - but that moves the clasp location off center with the bottom of my wrist.

Just has a squint at my wrist (today is a ProDiver Date day) and the only difference is that yours is newer than mine and the clasp is a heck of a lot less sctratched.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I have a couple of comments.

First, you said you have the clasp set to the tightest setting, but your photos show that it's actually at the loosest setting because the diver extension is fully extended (position 5 of 5). My picture below shows it set to position 3 (middle of the range).

Second, you might find it sits better on your wrist if you flip the straps to the opposite sides of the case. From the look of yours, they're attached backwards. You can generally tell if the straps are mounted to the correct sides if, when you look at the inside of your wrist while wearing the watch, the logo or writing on the clasp is right side up. In your photo the logo is upside down when looking at it, which is an indication the straps are mounted backwards.

Name:  IMG_20150629_232037_800_600.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  22.0 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; June 30th, 2015 at 23:40.
    adamcb likes this.

OP, don't be tempted to cut the "tail" off to get rid of the bulge. Some do and often end up regretting it.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    OP, don't be tempted to cut the "tail" off to get rid of the bulge. Some do and often end up regretting it.
    I concur.

And if you tighten the diver extension to the tightest (first) position, rather than the loosest (fifth) position, you may be able to loosen the tail of the strap by two holes which will reduce the amount of overlap. Also, if you reverse the strap so it is installed correctly, the overlap will now be on the outside edge of your wrist rather than the inside edge, and you won't notice it.

Here's a photo I poached from the web that shows what I'm talking about. The first thing about this photo is that the strap is properly installed so that the inside overlap is positioned along the outside edge of the wrist rather than the inside edge of the wrist like yours (and the Oris logo is now right side up as a result, which is the tip-off that the straps are on the proper sides). The second thing is the diver extension setting is at its second tightest setting with one more position to go versus yours which is set on its loosest setting. Flip your strap so the tail wraps to the outside edge of your wrist where you won't notice it and set the clasp to its tightest setting so there is less inside overlap, and I'll bet you'll be much happier with it.

Name:  oris-aquis-date-11.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; July 1st, 2015 at 02:40.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and assistance. I will try your suggestions tomorrow and report back.

What Brent says. I'd try swapping the strap sides.

I have pretty big wrists, but the rubber strap on my ProDiver is still long. But having the rubber part completely go under the metal deployant actually makes the watch pretty comfortable for me.

Name:  FullSizeRender 19.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  972.7 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender 19 copy.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  1.25 MB

The buckle does bulge a bit, but as Brent says make sure you tighten up the micro-adjust to it's last place to at least eat up another half-inch of material. But DO NOT cut the strap - you will regret it later I think.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information