ORIS sapphire crystals quality?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ORIS sapphire crystals quality?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ORIS sapphire crystals quality?

Hi Guys,

Today I have discovered that my Oris Big Crown Pointer Date has a scratch on its sapphire crystal. The watch is only 2 months old and I don’t remember anything that could have caused this scratch.

Oris watches have anti-reflective coating, only on the inside of the crystal. so the crystal must have scratched, and not the coating.

I have many watches with sapphire crystals, and this has never happened to me. It makes me wonder, if Oris has cheapened out on its sapphire crystals…

How are your Oris sapphire crystals holding up?
    time matters, not the watch!

Re: ORIS sapphire crystals quality?

Unfortunately sapphire isn’t scratch proof - only very resistant to scratching so it’s quite possible for a brush against a stone wall to mark your crystal. In answer to your question the sapphire in my Oris watches is holding up just as well as the other stuff I’ve got.
    chaskablake and Roy1988 like this.

It seems that some other members have been experiencing this too. ORIS, what up with your sapphire crystals?
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f22/or...e-5051717.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f22/or...l-5058813.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Aquis is 2.5 years old and has no scratches at all. I wear it nearly every waking hour unless I'm doing something that might damage the watch - like helping my brother build his house, OR something that the watch might damage - like washing the car.

I've owned 3 Oris watches (still own 2) and never had a scratch.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

Quote Originally Posted by ctsean View Post
    My Aquis is 2.5 years old and has no scratches at all. I wear it nearly every waking hour unless I'm doing something that might damage the watch - like helping my brother build his house, OR something that the watch might damage - like washing the car.
    ORIS probably started sourcing their crystals from a level 1 factory in China not too long ago :)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsean View Post
    Even nothing in direct sunlight?
    I sometimes think these are actually reflections from the sunburst dial, but they are VERY visible on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roozbeh View Post
    I sometimes think these are actually reflections from the sunburst dial, but they are VERY visible on mine.
    I don't think so. If that was the case, every watch of this model would have this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Roozbeh View Post
    Even nothing in direct sunlight?
    nothing

EHV

I think that this is a defect on the underside of the crystal, where the AR coating is applied and this would be a warranty issue if that is the case.

Can we really have genuine sapphire crystals and/or crystals without any outer AR that get like this so quickly and without any serious damage from something harder than sapphire or without any pressure being applied? 30+ years of sapphire crystals for me and no scratching, even with some serious knocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information