Oris Tungsten Bezel
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Oris Tungsten Bezel

Oris Tungsten Bezel

Hello all of WUS. I was going to buy one of the Oris Aquis Date pieces and like the Grey color with the tungsten bezel. I had a question though about the tungsten vs ceramic bezel. I wasn't sure if one was harder than the other or scratch resistant than the other. I was also kicking around the idea of the color between the grey, black, gradient black, and blue. The Watch going to be worn in a social and maybe formal atmosphere.

Re: Oris Tungsten Bezel

Of your thinking formal, I would go black. I like a lot of the colours in the Aquis line up but chose the 43mm black. Very classic and goes with everything. Very subjective though, so go with the one you really like the most. You can make it work in any setting. Good luck, I love my Aquis, it's a solid time piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tungsten is harder- 8 to 8.5 on the Mohs Scale. Ceramic can be scratched by tungsten. I have a tungsten carbide ring that I have yet to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by heatharnold View Post
    Tungsten is harder- 8 to 8.5 on the Mohs Scale. Ceramic can be scratched by tungsten. I have a tungsten carbide ring that I have yet to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here, my wedding ring is Tungsten. My other hobbies are woodworking, motorcycles and and something I can not mention but is very hands on. 12yrs and not a single scratch or blemish. Plus the color of Tungsten is awesome. You can't beat it

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I have a tungsten bezel on my Prodiver and there's not a mark on it. On the other hand, neither is there a mark on my ceramic bezel Aquis. Either way you'll have a very scratch resistant bezel.

Both are extremely scratch resistant. I'd suggest making your choice based on aesthetics and color preference.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Come the end of the world there will only be two things left, cockroaches and tungsten bezels. Whether you go for tungsten or ceramic doesn't really matter as either material is as tough a heck. If you are wanting to wear the watch with formal clothing black might be your best choice.
    Howardnyc likes this.

Hardness aside, like the look of Black font on Tungsten over white font on black ceramic.

Last edited by yankeexpress; September 1st, 2015 at 04:09.

As the others have already established, tungsten is slightly harder than ceramic but in the real world both are going to be pretty hard to scratch. I would choose just from an aesthetic point and get the one you prefer the look of. I wouldn't wear an Aquis with a suit or tux, but if you're wearing it casually and semi-formally you can easily get away with the black, blue/black gradient, and the blue. I'd wear a different watch with a suit.
    The black is the most formal, but there's really no getting around the fact that it's a bulky tool-ish dive watch. The blue is really an interesting hue of grey-blue that completely changes depending on lighting. If you look at it in an AD with bright lighting it will look very blue, but in the outside world it takes on a much more subtle colour. The gradient blue/black is similar, having a very blue dial in bright light and going to almost black in the shade.
    Personally I went with the blue, it's such a unique shade of blue and really suits the style of watch.
    Breitling Navitimer | Omega Speedmaster Professional | Tudor Black Bay | Oris Aquis | Breitling Colt

Thread Information