Personal Review: Oris Bronze Big Crown Pointer Date 40mm
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Personal Review: Oris Bronze Big Crown Pointer Date 40mm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Personal Review: Oris Bronze Big Crown Pointer Date 40mm

Waiting for an appointment schedule and I have time to burn, so I guess why not share my views of this watch, as quite a few are curious and to be honest, this watch looks very different when you see it in the metal compared to the marketing pictures

I have always had respect for Oris, and even had a diver65 at one point, but I had to let that one go for a trade on a watch I wanted more, and this is my second one

So, what made me buy one?

The first thing is, of course, the material itself, I have always wanted a bronze watch, but the ones available are either, too expensive for my taste, too large for my wrists, or I just dont like the overall looks of it

Along came Oris, with a slew of bronzey materials on the release of their watches

First I noticed was the carl brashear, definitely an awesome watch, but, it was a tad too large for me at 42mm, and of course the availability was zero around my area, and the price itself, was beyond my liking. Then came along the diver65, it was almost a winner for me, but the slight bronze on the bezel, wasnt bronze enough for me, hence making the trade-off

So after a while, it kinda went off my radar, until this came along last year

It was so hype but I couldnt find one available around me that I could see and try on, every month or two I asked my local stores, they had one or two and got sold immediately, so I didnt have a chance to try one until, a few days ago

The spec sheet looked very promising, 40mm case, 47mm lug to lug, pointer date, all bronze, green dial, rosegold hands, and all the while making it special was it was oris's big crown 80th anniversary, making it an important hallmark release, but as always, I dont buy watches blind, these costs quite a sum, while most regard Oris as an "affordable" luxury watch, I still find splurging cash over $500 on something Im unsure of, is not a good idea

I have to be honest, Oris' pointer date despite one of their most successful and longest running model, it never strikes me as something I'd imagine having it in my collection

But the bronze edition, makes it an entirely different proposition

So here I am

When I saw it in person, I had some back and forth, it wears very well, the case looks awesome, and, the pointer date complication is just a refreshing take than an aperture date, and also, the cathedral hand is very vintage-y looking. The whole package is very very very appealing. Especially given its pricepoint, it is really to me, a value for money proposition.

The case is very nicely designed, alternating between brushed, polished line, and coin edge bezel, is very very mesmerizing. The sunken bezel also gives an impression that the watch has depth and dimension, and doing so, they can make lug thicker making it a more sturdy and casual looking watch. This watch is nowhere near dressy, especially after it patina comes over, and thicker lugs helps address that more casual look.

I love the 20mm lug width as it is a common number for straps, so changing straps is a breeze, and I can combine this with numerous straps that I own. The lugs also curve down nicely, having it hug your wrist more. Even with my flat wrists, I can barely see any gaps when wearing it.

The one and only gripe, was the colour of the dial. The green is much paler than I thought, and when I mean much, is very significant. Its matte in colour, and well despite it looks good, I had hoped it would be a darker tone. Despite that, I end up buying it, and I find the dial to vary from different angles and different lighting.

Some people complain about the BIG CROWN writing above the automatic, saying they dont need to state the obvious. Well I beg to differ, I believe Big Crown is the name of the model, just like Onega would put Aquaterra on their dial, just like Rolex puts Datejust on their dial. Sure the name isnt as cool as the other two examples, but they imply the same meaning, model name.

Would I change anything?

Yes, there are things I'd like to change if I could, nothing is perfect.

First is the dial colour, I would really really be happier if it came with the Timeless edition dial colour, of make it a bit darker, or have the dial some metallic sheen to it or texture. I hope one day swiss watchmakers will experiment more on dial textures like Seiko does, it just elevates a watch to a whole different level.

Second is the lume, I would make it a light brown - faux patina colour. I know some may be put off by it, but imagine when the case is heavily patina'd, then you have a slight greenish lume, its not bad, but with a faux patina, it'll be awesome.

Third would be adding some colour differences on the stages of the dial, this is where a dial like the timeless edition would suit this perfectly, you'd have darker outer edge for the date, slightly brighter for the minute track, and even brighter the inner hour and hands.

So I guess that sums it up, there is a 36mm model version which I think is great that Oris provides this, and a slew of rainbow colour dial and materials as well, also complications too. They are ready to cater almost any market that would buy their watches.

Oh one more thing, the watch came with a patina from the store, it probably developed during shipment and storage, but its very easy to clean. I cleaned mine up early this morning, wanting the watch to develop "my" patina instead. All it took was a toothpaste, 15 minutes and a toothbrush. All you need to do is apply with your finger, rub with some amount of force, and brush under small running water with a toothbrush. Darker patinas takes a bit more effort and probably two times wash.

When its free from patina, it looks really really pink. Its not bad for those wanting a rose gold watch on a budget, all you need to do is wash it once a week depending how you wear it.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Re: Personal Review: Oris Bronze Big Crown Pointer Date 40mm

Great review and beautiful watch.
    i went through a similar decision tree for a bronze watch and ended up opting for the oris big crown bronze as well

good us posted with the Patina!

Great looking watch - thanks for the review. From my point of view I still can’t decide how it would look with a patina on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great watch!
    I appreciate your very comprehensive review.

same thought.
    I can't imagine how it looks. I saw many bronze diver watch with patina, but I am really curious for this watch

This pic is with patina, it came out from the store looking like this

You can maintain this look if you'd like by gently cleaning with toothpaste, and quickly too, as to not wash off all the patina

It will keep the looks around the same

Or, if you're the ones loving their watches shiny and clean, you can always wash once a week

NC_Hager626 likes this.

Very nice piece my man!

Simon

Beautiful watch! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats and nice review. That is a great strap BTW and fits the Bronze BCP well - could I ask what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetinari67 View Post
    Congrats and nice review. That is a great strap BTW and fits the Bronze BCP well - could I ask what it is?

Thanks, you are again one of the person liking this strap, I should start selling it myself haha

Got it from AND2, have a look at it

Vetinari67 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information