Purchase an Oris or Keep Saving
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Purchase an Oris or Keep Saving

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Purchase an Oris or Keep Saving

Let me start off by saying that I love what Oris is doing right now. The divers 65 and pointer date are iconic pieces in my eyes and I would love to have one or both in my collection.

However when I think Iím ready to pull the trigger, the technical side of my brain takes over and makes me question if the juice is worth the squeeze.

No COSC, only 2 year warranty, and still a bit pricey for such luxury watch.

Have you ever found yourself in this situation? Where a watch seems to scratch the itch for you but then you wonder where that $1000, $2000 etc could be else put in the watch world ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SugarShack; September 20th, 2019 at 02:59.

Re: Purchase an Oris or Keep Saving

I think we have all been in that situation, some of us with each watch purchase.
    Have you tried them on? An Oris pointer date was my 1st mechanical watch. I am happy I took the plunge.
    Alpina, Ambassadeurs, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

My ORIS Aquis is one of my go-to watches. It gets more wrist time than my Speedmaster. I’d recommend a Diver Sixty-Five.
    Thunder1, ShdwFX and mikem2277 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on what are you looking for. I own two Oris's, along with a Speedy - definitely the Oris gets much more wrist time and there is nothing wrong with it.
    Is it the "prestige" you are looking for with COSC certificate and maybe more complicated in house movement or a watch that is both beautiful, quality and with a brand that respects their customers, have rich horology and stays loyal for being an independent mechanical watch company?
    If I were you I would look for a pre-owned watch from the sales forum in a great condition for a decent price and squeeze the trigger.
    BTW my Oris stands within COSC timing.
    Sebast975 likes this.

We are all a little bias here but maybe these are the reasons I love Oris:

- COSC, great to have but easy to live without IMO. If it was all about accuracy we would all be wearing Quartz watches or the ones who can afford it would be wearing a GS Spring Drive both of which absolutely destroy any COSC certified watch as far as accuracy goes by a whole order of magnitude. On a related note the bog standard SW200-1 in my Aquis Source Of Life is chilling at +4sec per day which i'm very happy with.

- Unique designs, for some reason I feel like so many brands out there are just too scared to rock the boat. When the most groundbreaking thing from many of the big brands year on year is a new colour or tweaked bracelet its just stale and a little disappointing to be honest. Its like they are too scared to take any risks and upset the watch investment market or something.

Meanwhile Oris is doing new things all the time lately, think depth gauge and altimeter, their almost yearly limited editions

- Prices that I feel make sense, go and have a look at some next to a Tag which pales in comparison from my experience or maybe even a Tudor and see if you can explain where the Tudor Black Bay is worth double the price of the Oris Aquis if you ignore the names on the front.

In short buy something you like, not something just because you can afford it as you will just end up flipping it and likely losing money later, that being said; don't be ashamed if you find a watch that is more affordable that you do like.

There is plenty on offer from Oris that stands on its own merits not just its price.

As an example, take a look at this:

Oris Big Crown ProPilot Worldtimer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbFzuwu-DY

Possibly one of the coolest GMT/Duel time watches I have ever seen, at any price... (as long as you have large wrists like me anyway) and its actually obtainable for us normal people at around $3400 even if it takes some saving to get there.
    Sebast975 likes this.

Actually if you register it online on My Oris the warranty is 3 years. My Aquis is beautiful and I have cycled through one watch after another and I have never thought about selling it. What more do you want from a sub 2k watch out of curiosity? At that price, it is really about preferences as opposed to what you can get in terms of specs (you want absurd finish at that price then jump into 9f GS's, one of the few exceptions). I have looked far and wide for a diver at that price that equals the Aquis and the closest I have found is the Monta Ocean King (used MM300 if you are lucky). My point is the Aquis isn't overpriced compared to its competitors(unless you pay msrp. Also, if you want to see real differences you will have to jump up into the 5k arena and inhouse movements), but then again if you want to get philosophical anything other than a Casio f-91w is overpriced.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

Buy a used Oris Diver 65 or Pointer Date now AND keep on saving. Your used Oris will barely lose value, and if you want something else down the road, itís easy to sell, too.

Or if down the road you decide you donít want to sell it, buy a second (used) Oris with the additional funds. :)

Thanks everyone. The comments here are all very valid and have helped me realize that price doesnít really dictate quality.

I hope that I am able to find a gently used Oris locally but in the event that my reference canít be sourced, would it be a significant loss or mistake to buy at MSRP?

evlkoala likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarShack View Post
    Thanks everyone. The comments here are all very valid and have helped me realize that price doesn’t really dictate quality.

I hope that I am able to find a gently used Oris locally but in the event that my reference can’t be sourced, would it be a significant loss or mistake to buy at MSRP?

Even buying from an AD you should get at least %20 off msrp. So yes paying full msrp would be a mistake. Check prices everywhere including grey market, used, etc. and decide what your comfortable with.
    Sebast975, OedipusFlex and ShdwFX like this.
    %99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.

Quote Originally Posted by mplsabdullah View Post
    Even buying from an AD you should get at least %20 off msrp. So yes paying full msrp would be a mistake. Check prices everywhere including grey market, used, etc. and decide what your comfortable with.
    Is 20% the bare minimum? Should I anticipate more ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information