Quality Between Oris and Omega
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Quality Between Oris and Omega

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quality Between Oris and Omega

Just wondering if there is a watch company making dive watches better than Oris but not quite at the Omega level. I know there are some priced at this point but I'm not convinced any do it better than Oris.

Collection

Seiko Sumo, Oris Aquis, Seiko Turtle, Seiko Coutura Chronograph, Seiko Samurai, Seiko Sea Urchin, Orient Ray II, Laco Aachen B, Citizen Eco Dress Watch, Glycine Combat Sub, Casio Duro, Invicta Pro Diver, Invicta 200M chronograph, Timex Weekender

Re: Quality Between Oris and Omega

For me, Oris’s quality lies in its build and design, not its specs. I love the Oris bracelets I own (they are more comfortable than my Omega’s) and I love the very distinct designs of Oris...but Sinn, Damasko, Monta, Archimede, Stowa, Seiko’s Marine Masters, etc. I think are far better “tool” watches and have better specs at similar prices (preowned though, you can generally purchase an Aquis below 1k and for that price, I don’t think there is anything that matches it). So yes, there are plenty of brands, but I can honestly say I haven’t found one at the Oris price range that I like more than my Aquis as a whole (I’m not a spec sheet buyer).
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Marathon: JSAR Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

For the money I’ve yet to find a diver that can compete with Oris.
    Konkur, mpalmer and Myrrhman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with post above. I've had just about every watch I want under $15k and I just recently bought an Oris Aquis. Two weeks later picked up an Aquis GMT. It has now become one of my favorite watches I've ever owned. The only diver, at any price point, that does it for me more is my fifty fathoms. Fit and finish is on par with watches 2-3x the price and the case design and strap are top notch. Most comfortable watch I've ever owned. And looks good too... I love the fact it doesn't steal any design cues from a submariner like just about EVERY dive watch does... People complain its not NATO strap friendly but that's why I like it. The case is more thought out and the strap integrates with much higher fit and finish. They didn't just hang some lugs off a case and say "there that'll work..."
    Konkur, dglsjhan, JCB43 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by danimal107 View Post
    Agree with post above. I've had just about every watch I want under $15k and I just recently bought an Oris Aquis. Two weeks later picked up an Aquis GMT. It has now become one of my favorite watches I've ever owned. The only diver, at any price point, that does it for me more is my fifty fathoms. Fit and finish is on par with watches 2-3x the price and the case design and strap are top notch. Most comfortable watch I've ever owned. And looks good too... I love the fact it doesn't steal any design cues from a submariner like just about EVERY dive watch does... People complain its not NATO strap friendly but that's why I like it. The case is more thought out and the strap integrates with much higher fit and finish. They didn't just hang some lugs off a case and say "there that'll work..."
    Yeah.. I don't understand the no NATO complaint, why buy a great watch with a great bracelet or rubber strap if that is your jam if you are going to slap a NATO on it. Buy the $50 Duro if you want to use a NATO so bad.
    JCB43 and ronsetoe like this.

Collection

Seiko Sumo, Oris Aquis, Seiko Turtle, Seiko Coutura Chronograph, Seiko Samurai, Seiko Sea Urchin, Orient Ray II, Laco Aachen B, Citizen Eco Dress Watch, Glycine Combat Sub, Casio Duro, Invicta Pro Diver, Invicta 200M chronograph, Timex Weekender

Or for a cool vintage vibe watch use a NATO on a diver 65. The beauty of the Aquis is the case design and strap. Its like telling the Ferrari dealer you need more ground clearance so you can go off roading... What!!! Go buy a Jeep Rubicon silly...
    Konkur, sticky and JCB43 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Konkur View Post
    Yeah.. I don't understand the no NATO complaint, why buy a great watch with a great bracelet or rubber strap if that is your jam if you are going to slap a NATO on it. Buy the $50 Duro if you want to use a NATO so bad.
    I’ve got Oris divers on both bracelets and rubber and both are nothing short of superb. Don’t get me wrong - I’ve got plenty of watches that I’ve chosen to put on Natos - just not an Aquis.

Omega has a master co-axial movement. The movement is not only horologically significant, but from a functional standpoint, it is one of the best modern mass produced movements available. Once you get past that, I think Omega still edges out Oris on case, bracelet, dial, etc, but the differences aren’t that significant. Oris shines with original designs and excellent cases, bracelets, and dial executions for the price point. If you are fine with a Selita movement, its hard to see you not liking what you will get from Oris.
    kiwi_kal and Thunder1 like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

If you're a movement geek then the Omega wins but I have found both my Oris keep time just as well. Within the 6 sec Omega specs... Even though Oris does have "looser" specs they tend to run much better than the max specs say.
    R. Thalen likes this.

Omega certainly has an edge in the mechanical watch game with the coaxial movement. The brand also has a very long, well respected history and they are definitely known for making high quality timepieces. That said, I personally view Oris as a sort of "underdog". Lower volume, movements that aren't the mass produced norm (Sellita vs ETA), a bit of unique marketing, etc. Because of these things, I also feel that I can relate to Oris on a business-level, so the brand "speaks" to me in a very specific way. Both brands are great - I personally prefer Oris, but that's just me, you can't really go wrong with either company's products.
    sleeperj74 likes this.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information