Question for Oris x Hodinkee Owners
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ChronoKing
  • 2 Post By GregoryD
  • 1 Post By Kattywampus
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Question for Oris x Hodinkee Owners

Question for Oris x Hodinkee Owners

Iím a proud owner of the Oris x Hodinkee Diver 65. Itís so beautiful and I canít remember having this much fun with a new watch in a while. Itís already been in the water (not diving) and is the perfect summer watch.

Because itís my first diver and also is manual, I do have a couple of questions on properly operating the watch. Unscrewing the crown is simple enough. After I unscrew it, letís call that position 1. Winding the watch on position 1 feels a little weird. I wind the watch until it stops but it does seem like thereís a little pushback (kind of a rubber band effect) even before that point each time you wind up which is not my experience with my other manual watches. Is that consistent with everyone elseís experience? Setting the watch on position 2 is nice and easy.

Screwing down the watch from position 1 can be a bit wonky too. You have to push down rather hard and it feels sometimes it catches the thread and sometimes it doesnít. Sometimes I have to wind it back a bit before I can push down and screw it in. This may be consistent with divers in general but as is my first, wanted to ask. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    evlkoala and EightEyes like this.

Re: Question for Oris x Hodinkee Owners

I would recommend always winding backward to find the catch, then screw it down. That way you don't risk cross-threading.
    OedipusFlex and evlkoala like this.
    Cheers,
    Greg

That rubber band effect you mentioned winding the watch sounds normal for mechanical wind movements. Be careful not to overwind the watch. Sounds like you're finding the fully wound stopping point. Enjoy that watch! One of only 250 made. I watched the ebay sales of that watch. It seemed to spike in price at first, but in the end guys were pretty much breaking even after taking into account the ebay and paypal fees they were going to have to pay.
    ChronoKing likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like Greg says get into the habit of always back winding it a little when screwing the crown down.
    Last edited by sticky; August 2nd, 2019 at 17:02. Reason: Apple autocorrect strikes again
    evlkoala likes this.

Thanks all. Thatís helpful to know! Tricky for sure but love the piece. Glad to hear that little rubber band effect is normal. Not my experience in my other mechanical movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kattywampus View Post
    I watched the ebay sales of that watch. It seemed to spike in price at first, but in the end guys were pretty much breaking even after taking into account the ebay and paypal fees they were going to have to pay.
    Yup, I followed that too! I really plan just to hold on to this guy. Iím a late bloomer to Oris - the watch I purchased is the first Oris Iíve tried on and immediately fell in love with the feel of it on the wrist. Light and breezy. Thanks much for the tip.

This may be a silly question, but are you making sure that the hands of the watch are below the 3 & 9 positions on the dial, pointing down? I was always told to make sure both hands are pointing down below the 3 & 9 positions before winding or setting the time & date on a watch. This was my first time with a screw down crown as well and it took some getting used to....and I have the same problem with the threading catching as I am screwing it down....and I back wind it a little too.

Quote Originally Posted by Username_13 View Post
    This may be a silly question, but are you making sure that the hands of the watch are below the 3 & 9 positions on the dial, pointing down? I was always told to make sure both hands are pointing down below the 3 & 9 positions before winding or setting the time & date on a watch.
    I've never heard that before, and can't understand why the hand position would make any difference for winding. curious to see what others have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Username_13 View Post
    This may be a silly question, but are you making sure that the hands of the watch are below the 3 & 9 positions on the dial, pointing down? I was always told to make sure both hands are pointing down below the 3 & 9 positions before winding or setting the time & date on a watch. This was my first time with a screw down crown as well and it took some getting used to....and I have the same problem with the threading catching as I am screwing it down....and I back wind it a little too.
    Interesting. No, I didnít do that. Also not sure that would make a difference as the threading really doesnít seem to be tied to that at all. Perhaps thereís something Iím missing though. I did get some comfort in winding my friendís speedy and feeling the same rubber band effect there.

I was told that by a salesman in a Tourneau store in the mall a long time ago. He said that most automatic movements were designed that way....so that's what I've always done. Not sure if true or not.

Thread Information