Questions about ProPilot Altimeter

Thread: Questions about ProPilot Altimeter

Questions about ProPilot Altimeter

Hi,

I recently got a (new) Oris Big Crown ProPilot Altimeter, and I was wondering if someone could please help me with some questions I have. I've been a long time (particularly ABC) watch enthusiast but this is my first mechanical watch. I found the design so compelling that i had to get it.

(Question 1) I noticed that if the watch is tilted along certain directions, or even with just the usual shaking when moving ones arm, the altimeter/barometer needle lands in a different position, by up to +\- 300 feet or so. Sometimes I can see a pretty big 'bounce' were it moves far off the current altitude and comes back and lands near the original.

Since I just got the watch, I was wondering whether this is normal or not, and whether I should get it replaced/fixed.

I was a little disappointed in this, given how much mention there is in the marketing material about the altimeter needle being made of carbon fiber for 'accuracy'. It's not clear what the expected level of accuracy is. I didn't expect a lot of precision, but I expected the needle to stay in the same place with normal arm movements.

(Question 2) The barometer is a tad off by about 10mbar is there a way to calibrate it?

Thanks!

Re: Questions about ProPilot Altimeter

I have this watch as well and (question 1) happens to me also. I think that it's normal, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ_Faixapreta View Post
    I have this watch as well and (question 1) happens to me also. I think that it's normal, but I could be wrong.
    Thanks for the reply, I think you're right.

I've taken a close look at all the videos of this watch on youtube and it is clear that the altitude needle variations are normal. All the videos show it.

As for the barometer calibration, I think I found how to do that after a bit of research. The back has to be removed. The aneroid device is secured to the pressure scale by friction using 3 flat head screws with washers. It looks like the screws can be loosened to recalibrate the pressure scale.

Thread Information