REVIEW: ORIS AQUIS TITAN CHRONOGRAPH (HOME-BREW!)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By adsusanto

Thread: REVIEW: ORIS AQUIS TITAN CHRONOGRAPH (HOME-BREW!)

REVIEW: ORIS AQUIS TITAN CHRONOGRAPH (HOME-BREW!)

Ok guys, here is the home made review on the Aquis Titan Chronograph (having used the watch for a week now). Hopefully it's useful.

Background preview

I am not in any way related to any dealers, sellers, or even forum owners. There is definitely NO commercial or monetary gain for me in doing this review. I am just an ordinary user who loves mechanical and high quality watches.

WARNING: NOW before you can proceed further, let me ask you a simple question….Are you into “big” sport watches? Reason I ask?, there is no point for me in talking “ICE CREAM” to someone who hate ice-cream or even have allergic reaction it?? (Get the point??) Personally I love big watches….yeah I know, I heard you guys…as long as they fit well on the wrist. Believe me I AM NO HULK, I am completely normal human…in fact I think my wrist is even smaller than “Bruce Banner”??

Here is a picture of my “sexy” wrist, so if you think you have a beefier wrist than me, then I am pretty sure the watch will fit you even better. But I guess if your wrist is much skinnier (like a Barbie) then probably you should start looking at other smaller options.

Name:  IMAG0662_zpsc553c797.jpg
Views: 6820
Size:  53.1 KB

First of all let me start this review by telling you guys FORGET looking at those pictures from GOOGLE or even the OFFICIAL ORIS web site. Not saying they are fakes, but I think most photos have done well to cover up the real “deal” or characteristic of the watch. (Color, size, weight, etc) Believe me, if you are asking “How in hell the watch bezel turn bluish color? I have seen on most retailers or online dealers and they are pretty much grey?”… You are NOT the only one!

That’s not to say that the Aquis Chrono is not a nice piece. For me, it’s the one that stand out from the others. The unique grey color and the tungsten bezel really blend nicely with the titanium bracelet. Actually having used the watch for about a week now, the watch does seemed to be a little bluish at time on certain lighting or if you take a picture with your flash on. (I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that this is the color effect of tungsten?) Personally, tungsten is one of the reasons I want to give this watch a try. I have seen a lot of black, and most of the high end watches are made of ceramic…but I have never seen much in tungsten? I do believe tungsten is a better scratch resistant than the ceramic. (I will give a test later on)

Name:  IMAG0659_zps01ad1902.jpg
Views: 9189
Size:  44.2 KBName:  IMAG0656_zps39315415.jpg
Views: 10366
Size:  43.3 KBName:  IMAG0663_zpsc39cd6a3.jpg
Views: 7419
Size:  41.6 KB

Now let’s go to the real deal, is the watch really super big? Will it fit my small hand? Is it heavy? At 46mm and about 1.7 cm thick, I would definitely say it is big (not super)…but that’s not to say it will not fit someone with medium to small wrist. On mine it fit just nice (anything bigger I will look just like Ben 10 or those Power Ranger dudes) ==> this is the reason WHY I ask before, if you like big watches or not?? I am glad at least ORIS fit my hand better than TW STEEL (which is a lot bigger on my wrist!). ORIS photos on the official web site, and most on the net did well to hide all these characteristics (thickness, size and weight). I am surprised there are some claims that this watch is light (just because it’s titanium). In fact at 180g (w/bracelet), it is heavier than my HTC One X+ mobile phone (with additional flip cover at only about 140g). Believe me swing this watch, and hit one of your best mate head, and I am pretty sure he will insist he invented the E=MC2 formula!!! Maybe the tungsten bezel is responsible for this? (Since it is
    much heavier than stainless steel, titanium and Ceramic.) Can anyone else confirm the weight of the ceramic version?? (I.e. The Carlos Conte edition) ; since I don’t have the watch. Is it the same 180g???

Quality and Performance

All I can say I am pretty happy with the built quality. The watch look sturdy, well-polished, and shine well. So far all the buttons and crown work well. Is the Tungsten really good? Here is the photo of all the tests I have done….

Name:  IMAG0660_zps61424300.jpg
Views: 7215
Size:  55.7 KBName:  IMAG0661_zps97efe72f.jpg
Views: 6343
Size:  53.8 KB

Very impressive indeed, I have tried to scratch it using my keys and house knife. At first it look like it’s scratched ….but do a standard Tungsten cleaning method (you can Google on how to clean Tungsten jewellery), and it’s back shinning again!
    As for the accuracy test, the ETA 7750 movement has done well. The watch is only 2 seconds faster per day. The only thing I am a bit disappointed or puzzle is the precision of the seconds movement (you know the one with the 500m indicator). I am not sure if anyone else noticed this….have a closer look (maybe even with a magnifier), observe also the long hand movement. Assuming the 12 is the starting point (just like a normal clock) for the seconds to move clockwise, wait till it reach a full 60 seconds cycle, you will observe the long hand is not actually moving precisely a minute?? I guess the craftsmanship may not be very perfect after all or maybe I expected too much from a watch which has a $4K RRP.

The quality of the superluminova BG W9 is excellent and very bright. I have difficulty telling of the color initially =( At first I thought it is supposed to be very bright blue (looking at some pictures from the web and forum), however when I had it in flesh, I am pretty sure it is green (though maybe not bright green, maybe a little bluish effect but not clear). However after a few days of using it, I found a way to finally show its true color. You guys can try this: put your watch outside the window, when the SUN is pretty tense…leave for about 5-10 minutes. When full charged, you will see the dial will glow bright blue (surprisingly even in broad day light, you don’t even need to go in the dark)…very nice indeed!

Packaging and manual

The box packaging is quite good and neat, something that you would expect from a luxury watch. Personally though, I was expecting ORIS to give a better choice bundle for the AQUIS Titan Chronograph, since it is the top model of the AQUIS series. (Maybe something like the ProDiver series, which include extra rubber strap and changing tool kit, and even the waterproof watch case).

Now come to the manual…this is the part that I really think ORIS need to change! It is not the material or how the presentation disappoints me, but it is the lack of personalization to the product you buy and lack of detail! What I mean it is too generalized. It covers almost the whole type of watches available in ORIS (Chronograph, time zone/world timers, etc.). Come on ORIS, when I buy a product I expect the manual to be exclusive! Do you think when you buy Volvo XC90, you will get a manual that tell you how to operate Volvo C70?? I believe ORIS is doing this simply on business and costing reason.

Personally when I got this watch first time, I am almost embarrassed thinking the watch is dead or DOA because the big second hand is not moving? Only to be told that it is the chronograph feature (or will only work on stop watch function). The actual seconds is the small one with the 500m indicator. Even the second movement is confusing. The seconds has two tone (one is white, and the other is metallic). So which one actually indicates the exact time in seconds? Another thing, is the starting point the same as normal clock?? Vertical or horizontal position? All these should have been explained clearly in the manual. (Unfortunately nothing). ORIS should expect that not everyone has experience or familiar with the ORIS watches. If car manufacturers can include detail information on how to read their odometer (even when most car drivers knew them), so I can’t see why not a watch maker?

Conclusion:

Overall I am very happy with my watch. But I do hope ORIS will listen more to the customers. I believe ORIS has a great motto and design “Real watches for Real people”….I am also sure that it is not first time people are complaining ORIS watches are simply too big and seem to be getting even bigger with newer model. They need to put their watch on a serious “slimming” course. I am pretty sure “real” people are not mostly giants? Do a world-wide surveys and I bet 70-80% people will have a medium to small size wrists. For me 46 is the maximum (nothing more). ALSO please ORIS have a manual made exclusive to the product I “exclusively” chosen.
    Last edited by adsusanto; July 7th, 2013 at 11:46. Reason: fix the line spacing...
    kachog likes this.

Re: REVIEW: ORIS AQUIS TITAN CHRONOGRAPH (HOME-BREW!)

Sorry guys, I tried to copy and paste my review "work" to the thread....but it's definitely NOT looking too good (especially the lining.....and my suck english)....OH well, hopefully you guys still understand....

Thanks for sharing - that is a great, comprehensive review. This review is going to be very helpful to anybody considering this watch.

Chris

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great review. I know that it's a heavy watch but after strapping on the 260g Depth Gauge the Titan feels like a lightweigt.

Great write up...

But can someone please confirm what manual you get with the XC90???

;)
    BELL & ROSS - BR01-96 | CASIO - G Shock G-7900A-7 | ORIS - Oris Divers Small Second, Date | TISSOT - T Race-MotoGP | TIMEX - Indiglo Reef Gear

I always enjoy reading write ups like this because it really helps potential buyers out a lot. Well-written piece by the way. I think ORIS has some of the best looking watches and couldent agree more with you about the slimming down part. It is a little on the big side but i think watches look better on the larger side than they do on the small.

Quote Originally Posted by adsusanto View Post
    Personally when I got this watch first time, I am almost embarrassed thinking the watch is dead or DOA because the big second hand is not moving? Only to be told that it is the chronograph feature (or will only work on stop watch function). The actual seconds is the small one with the 500m indicator. Even the second movement is confusing. The seconds has two tone (one is white, and the other is metallic). So which one actually indicates the exact time in seconds? Another thing, is the starting point the same as normal clock?? Vertical or horizontal position? All these should have been explained clearly in the manual. (Unfortunately nothing). ORIS should expect that not everyone has experience or familiar with the ORIS watches. If car manufacturers can include detail information on how to read their odometer (even when most car drivers knew them), so I can’t see why not a watch maker?
    thanks for the review. i own this watch as well and must disagree on certain points. i'll start with the second-hand. i think it's a common practice to have a small second hand for time and a big one for chronograph. the two-tone nature of the second hand is actually sort of an ORIS feature and you'll notice all their watches featuring the so-called "small second" hand have it. i had no problem identifying which half of it was the pointer since it has the illumination coating on it.

btw, you get the minute movement you want when using the chronograph (on the small minute hand) ;)

as for the size, i completely agree. if you're not into big watches, this one isn't for you. my wrist is actually smaller than yours and i still enjoy wearing it. it's really not the 46mm that makes it big but the 1.7cm thickness. this baby is fat! but beautifully fat. although i must say, i'd still consider it mid-sized watch. there are plenty of other high-end brands with collections that feature much larger timepieces.

i couldn't agree with you more about the manual! that outright infuriated me! yes, it's a lower to mid-tier watch but at the same time, i feel like even a $30 Timex would provide a model-tailored manual, so why not a $2k+ ORIS? really, really disappointing!

on the illumination, unlike other divers from ORIS, i actually find this one looking greenish rather than blueish. the illumination is quite subtle and a bit underwhelming when seen right after seeing something like the Ball storm chaser dlc glow (which may be a bit over the top).

overall, i tend to stare at this watch in admiration quite a bit. it's a particular style that doesn't fit everyone but i happen to think it's a thing of beauty!

Thanks for writing! Great review. Very bold to try your best to scratch your watch :0

Quote Originally Posted by adsusanto View Post
    Ok guys, here is the home made review on the Aquis Titan Chronograph (having used the watch for a week now). Hopefully it's useful.

Background preview

I am not in any way related to any dealers, sellers, or even forum owners. There is definitely NO commercial or monetary gain for me in doing this review. I am just an ordinary user who loves mechanical and high quality watches.

WARNING: NOW before you can proceed further, let me ask you a simple question….Are you into “big” sport watches? Reason I ask?, there is no point for me in talking “ICE CREAM” to someone who hate ice-cream or even have allergic reaction it?? (Get the point??) Personally I love big watches….yeah I know, I heard you guys…as long as they fit well on the wrist. Believe me I AM NO HULK, I am completely normal human…in fact I think my wrist is even smaller than “Bruce Banner”??

Here is a picture of my “sexy” wrist, so if you think you have a beefier wrist than me, then I am pretty sure the watch will fit you even better. But I guess if your wrist is much skinnier (like a Barbie) then probably you should start looking at other smaller options.

Name:  IMAG0662_zpsc553c797.jpg
Views: 6820
Size:  53.1 KB

First of all let me start this review by telling you guys FORGET looking at those pictures from GOOGLE or even the OFFICIAL ORIS web site. Not saying they are fakes, but I think most photos have done well to cover up the real “deal” or characteristic of the watch. (Color, size, weight, etc) Believe me, if you are asking “How in hell the watch bezel turn bluish color? I have seen on most retailers or online dealers and they are pretty much grey?”… You are NOT the only one!

That’s not to say that the Aquis Chrono is not a nice piece. For me, it’s the one that stand out from the others. The unique grey color and the tungsten bezel really blend nicely with the titanium bracelet. Actually having used the watch for about a week now, the watch does seemed to be a little bluish at time on certain lighting or if you take a picture with your flash on. (I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that this is the color effect of tungsten?) Personally, tungsten is one of the reasons I want to give this watch a try. I have seen a lot of black, and most of the high end watches are made of ceramic…but I have never seen much in tungsten? I do believe tungsten is a better scratch resistant than the ceramic. (I will give a test later on)

Name:  IMAG0659_zps01ad1902.jpg
Views: 9189
Size:  44.2 KBName:  IMAG0656_zps39315415.jpg
Views: 10366
Size:  43.3 KBName:  IMAG0663_zpsc39cd6a3.jpg
Views: 7419
Size:  41.6 KB

Now let’s go to the real deal, is the watch really super big? Will it fit my small hand? Is it heavy? At 46mm and about 1.7 cm thick, I would definitely say it is big (not super)…but that’s not to say it will not fit someone with medium to small wrist. On mine it fit just nice (anything bigger I will look just like Ben 10 or those Power Ranger dudes) ==> this is the reason WHY I ask before, if you like big watches or not?? I am glad at least ORIS fit my hand better than TW STEEL (which is a lot bigger on my wrist!). ORIS photos on the official web site, and most on the net did well to hide all these characteristics (thickness, size and weight). I am surprised there are some claims that this watch is light (just because it’s titanium). In fact at 180g (w/bracelet), it is heavier than my HTC One X+ mobile phone (with additional flip cover at only about 140g). Believe me swing this watch, and hit one of your best mate head, and I am pretty sure he will insist he invented the E=MC2 formula!!! Maybe the tungsten bezel is responsible for this? (Since it is
    much heavier than stainless steel, titanium and Ceramic.) Can anyone else confirm the weight of the ceramic version?? (I.e. The Carlos Conte edition) ; since I don’t have the watch. Is it the same 180g???

Quality and Performance

All I can say I am pretty happy with the built quality. The watch look sturdy, well-polished, and shine well. So far all the buttons and crown work well. Is the Tungsten really good? Here is the photo of all the tests I have done….

Name:  IMAG0660_zps61424300.jpg
Views: 7215
Size:  55.7 KBName:  IMAG0661_zps97efe72f.jpg
Views: 6343
Size:  53.8 KB

Very impressive indeed, I have tried to scratch it using my keys and house knife. At first it look like it’s scratched ….but do a standard Tungsten cleaning method (you can Google on how to clean Tungsten jewellery), and it’s back shinning again!
    As for the accuracy test, the ETA 7750 movement has done well. The watch is only 2 seconds faster per day. The only thing I am a bit disappointed or puzzle is the precision of the seconds movement (you know the one with the 500m indicator). I am not sure if anyone else noticed this….have a closer look (maybe even with a magnifier), observe also the long hand movement. Assuming the 12 is the starting point (just like a normal clock) for the seconds to move clockwise, wait till it reach a full 60 seconds cycle, you will observe the long hand is not actually moving precisely a minute?? I guess the craftsmanship may not be very perfect after all or maybe I expected too much from a watch which has a $4K RRP.

The quality of the superluminova BG W9 is excellent and very bright. I have difficulty telling of the color initially =( At first I thought it is supposed to be very bright blue (looking at some pictures from the web and forum), however when I had it in flesh, I am pretty sure it is green (though maybe not bright green, maybe a little bluish effect but not clear). However after a few days of using it, I found a way to finally show its true color. You guys can try this: put your watch outside the window, when the SUN is pretty tense…leave for about 5-10 minutes. When full charged, you will see the dial will glow bright blue (surprisingly even in broad day light, you don’t even need to go in the dark)…very nice indeed!

Packaging and manual

The box packaging is quite good and neat, something that you would expect from a luxury watch. Personally though, I was expecting ORIS to give a better choice bundle for the AQUIS Titan Chronograph, since it is the top model of the AQUIS series. (Maybe something like the ProDiver series, which include extra rubber strap and changing tool kit, and even the waterproof watch case).

Now come to the manual…this is the part that I really think ORIS need to change! It is not the material or how the presentation disappoints me, but it is the lack of personalization to the product you buy and lack of detail! What I mean it is too generalized. It covers almost the whole type of watches available in ORIS (Chronograph, time zone/world timers, etc.). Come on ORIS, when I buy a product I expect the manual to be exclusive! Do you think when you buy Volvo XC90, you will get a manual that tell you how to operate Volvo C70?? I believe ORIS is doing this simply on business and costing reason.

Conclusion:

Overall I am very happy with my watch. But I do hope ORIS will listen more to the customers. I believe ORIS has a great motto and design “Real watches for Real people”….I am also sure that it is not first time people are complaining ORIS watches are simply too big and seem to be getting even bigger with newer model. They need to put their watch on a serious “slimming” course. I am pretty sure “real” people are not mostly giants? Do a world-wide surveys and I bet 70-80% people will have a medium to small size wrists. For me 46 is the maximum (nothing more). ALSO please ORIS have a manual made exclusive to the product I “exclusively” chosen.

Thread Information