Screw down crown question
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukoner1
  • 1 Post By teeritz
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By Yukoner1

Thread: Screw down crown question

Screw down crown question

Folks - Question for those of you with screw down Oris crowns (in particular, the Sixty Five diver). When you unscrew your crown, at some point does the crown "pop out" on its own to position 1, where you can manually wind the movement ? I find that maybe every 2 to 3 times I unscrew the crown, I can perpetually unscrew (counter-clockwise direction) forever. If I pull the crown out a tiny bit, it pops out to position 1. If I turn even a millimeter clockwise, it pops out to position 1. Most times, however, it pops out on its own when unscrewing the crown. An issue ? Not an issue ? Me being over concerned ?

FWIW, I can hear / feel a slight bit of clicking when unscrewing the crown. Some kind of gear slippage I'm feeling ? I cleaned the threads with dental floss as many have recommended on the forum, nothing really interesting in terms of dirt or anything. It's the same sound you get if you put the crown into position 1 and wind counter-clockwise (so the opposite of manually winding the movement), so I'm assuming it's just some kind of slippage that's normal.

Thoughts ?
    Last edited by Yukoner1; December 30th, 2019 at 07:29.
    evlkoala likes this.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Re: Screw down crown question

You have nothing to worry about. I have two D-65s and, as with a lot of my other watches across other brands, when I unscrew the crown, it turns and turns, and if I then turn it in the clockwise direction, the crown then pops fully out into the winding position. You can feel the spring doing it's job. Entirely normal.

The clicking sound also appears to be normal. If you were to feel more of a grinding sensation in your fingertips as you wind the watch, then that would be something to be concerned about.

For now, unscrew the crown, wind the watch ten or twelve times, put it back on the wrist, live your life. The rotor will do the rest.
    As long as you keep moving.

Enjoy the watch!
    evlkoala likes this.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

Some crowns come out of the watch like they’re trying to get you whereas others leave you wondering if you’ve actually unscrewed them fully so I’d say that your 65 was perfectly normal.
    evlkoala likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks folks I assumed I was being overly sensitive / over-analyzing. The watch works perfectly so I have no real reason to suspect something is actually amiss (that said, it's my favourite watch that I own, so I'm going to overly baby and worry about it, haha). The unscrewing / winding / date / time adjustment are all very smooth actions. There is no physical sensation of grit or grind. I originally thought there might be, but then I paid more attention and realized it was just me projecting based on the sound. I threw on some headphones to take away the sound completely and it's as smooth as butter when "feel" is the only sense you have. Interesting how the mind works when it comes to such things..... I haven't had a screw down crown in a very long time, so it would seem that I've forgotten what's normal and what's not.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Some crowns come out of the watch like they’re trying to get you whereas others leave you wondering if you’ve actually unscrewed them fully so I’d say that your 65 was perfectly normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    You have nothing to worry about. I have two D-65s and, as with a lot of my other watches across other brands, when I unscrew the crown, it turns and turns, and if I then turn it in the clockwise direction, the crown then pops fully out into the winding position. You can feel the spring doing it's job. Entirely normal.

The clicking sound also appears to be normal. If you were to feel more of a grinding sensation in your fingertips as you wind the watch, then that would be something to be concerned about.

For now, unscrew the crown, wind the watch ten or twelve times, put it back on the wrist, live your life. The rotor will do the rest.
    As long as you keep moving.

Enjoy the watch!
    evlkoala likes this.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Thread Information