Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By BrentYYC
  • 1 Post By Nolander
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 2 Post By ky70

Thread: Small Seconds vs. Titan C 47mm

Small Seconds vs. Titan C 47mm

Hello Folks,
    I've been out of watches for a long time (well 6/7 months) and I thought I was done with the watch hobby, but I've got the urge again and am looking to get my 1st Oris.

I've always chuckled at "which one should I buy" threads but here I am starting one because I'm truly torn between these two and keep going back on forth as I love the look of both.

With the Small seconds, I like the weight of the stainless steel but I'm concerned with the reported weaker orange lume. How do owners feel about the lume?

With the Titan C, my concern is the lighter titanium but 189 grams should still have some heft to it. What do owners think about the weight? Is the lume better on this than the orange lume?

I could go either way on this one so Id appreciate input from those with experience with either or both. Thanks!

Borrowed web pics:

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Small Seconds vs. Titan C 47mm

I have what you could almost consider to be a hybrid between those two watches, the Aquis Maldives. It has almost the same dial configuration as the Small Seconds, with orange lume, but has a titanium case like the Titan... so I basically have all the things you're trying to decide about, in one watch.

Personally, I love the orange lume. It's not as bright as the white lume but it's adequate, and it adds some pizzaz to what otherwise would be a pretty standard looking dial. I also like the titanium case because I prefer my watches to feel like they're part of me and not like I have a piece of heavy steel strapped to them. Although it doesn't sound like it's important to you, something I like about the Maldives compared to the two you're considering, is the slimmer case profile... it looks very much like a Small Seconds but has the thinner case thickness of the Date, allowing it to fit easier under a shirt cuff and giving the watch greater versatility (I also love the matte ceramic bezel insert).

My two cents.
    ky70 likes this.

I have the Titan C and I like the light weight. I have been told by other non watch enthusiasts that it feels heavy. Compared to SS in a watch this size it does feel very light on the wrist, and in combo with the 2:00 and 4:00 crowns it is my most comfortable watch. I haven't handled or worn a 47 mm SS Oris diver to compare it to though.
    Last edited by Nolander; June 6th, 2013 at 00:54.
    ky70 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The orange lume on the SS is "weaker" than that of the C but it's not a deal breaker by any means and it looks really smart. The Ti of the C means that weedy guys like me can wear larger watches with ease. I wear a 49mm PDD on a regular basis with no problem but my 47mm steel SS is a bit much. Of the two I would probably go for the C, not because of the orange lume (the orange is actually a plus in my book) but because I prefer the look of the C. Not enough to make me crave a C rather than my SS but if I had to choose between the two I would go for the C
    ky70 likes this.

Thank you guys for the great input. I really appreciate it. I'm less than a month away from making this purchase and suspect I'll be changing my mind the entire time.

If I were to lay odds right now, I would say I'm leaning 55/45 in favor of the stainless steel small seconds.

I held both in my hand a while back and had to make the same agonising decision...

I ended up going the SS just because the orange gave it that little extra something. I have no regrets!
    BELL & ROSS - BR01-96 | CASIO - G Shock G-7900A-7 | ORIS - Oris Divers Small Second, Date | TISSOT - T Race-MotoGP | TIMEX - Indiglo Reef Gear

Quote Originally Posted by red_dave View Post
    I held both in my hand a while back and had to make the same agonising decision...

I ended up going the SS just because the orange gave it that little extra something. I have no regrets!
    Thanks Dave. I've all but decided on the small seconds. At the end of the day I want/like the extra weight and the pop of the orange accents.
    scuup and red_dave like this.

I Have The Small Seconds And Think You Made The Right Decision ... Don't Get Me Wrong The Titan Is An Awesome Watch Too.

Decisions....decisions...

I have my sights set on a GBR and a Small Seconds (Black Dial with Orange markers). I love the look of both and their quite different when compared against one another.

Frank - NY

Quote Originally Posted by fcammarata View Post
    Decisions....decisions...

I have my sights set on a GBR and a Small Seconds (Black Dial with Orange markers). I love the look of both and their quite different when compared against one another.

Frank - NY
    I think the easiest way to make the decision is whether you are lefties or righties? Both are awesome watch....personally though, I think the orange will stand out better from black background?? and the fact that I am right handed so I would be leaning toward small second.

Thread Information