A Tale of Two Blue Oris Watches - The big crown pointer date and the Carl Brashear
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: A Tale of Two Blue Oris Watches - The big crown pointer date and the Carl Brashear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Tale of Two Blue Oris Watches - The big crown pointer date and the Carl Brashear

Hey everyone!

So over the past year, I have rediscovered my passion for watches and have rapidly expanded my collection (RIP my wallet)

About 6 months ago, I heard about the Carl Brashear limited edition, and fell in love with it. I found a used one for a decent price, and decided to bite the bullet (my first big watch purchase...yikes). Absolutely love the bronze case (with the nicely developing patina) with the deep blue dial! Here are some pictures!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200219_220510.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	14884113 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200219_215644.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	14884115

Name:	IMG_20200219_215922.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	341.6 KB 
ID:	14884117 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200219_221229.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	262.0 KB 
ID:	14884111

Since then, Oris has been on my radar and when I saw the Oris big crown pointer date, I knew I had to have one. I think the vintage aesthetic is really cool and would make a great dress watch. So last week, to celebrate a milestone at work, I decided to bite the bullet (AGAIN) and pick one up. Based on reviews I had seen online, I was keen on either the 80th anniversary edition (with the green dial and bronze case) or the light blue pastel dial. I walked into the shop prepared to buy either one of those...and then I saw the version with the deep blue dial and the bronze bezel (think its called the bicolor version). There are almost no reviews of this model online, so I wasnt even aware of it...and I was blown away by it. The gold hands and bezel, and white date marker and numerals looks amazing against the deep blue dial! As I am somewhat of a sucker for a blue dial (they seem to work well with my skin tone), I decided to get it. Here are some pics!

Name:	IMG_20200216_114218.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	14884119 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200219_220313.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	14884121

Name:	IMG_20200219_220207.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	14884123 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200219_215942.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	14884125

So I am now the proud owner of these two beautiful Oris watches! Keen to hear what you all think, and if you have any strap suggestions! :D

Name:  IMG_20200219_215756.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  357.8 KB

Re: A Tale of Two Blue Oris Watches - The big crown pointer date and the Carl Brashear

Best not to tell your wallet about the Brash chrono. Now there’s a REALLY nice bit of kit.

Re: A Tale of Two Blue Oris Watches - The big crown pointer date and the Carl Brashear

I'm not much help because I wouldn't change a thing with those straps. They look perfect as is...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It sure is...I was sorely tempted to flip my one and get the chrono. But I really enjoy the large running seconds hand on the regular Brashear, and I couldnt justify the higher price. Maybe one day I shall own one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thyholynoodles View Post
    It sure is...I was sorely tempted to flip my one and get the chrono. But I really enjoy the large running seconds hand on the regular Brashear, and I couldnt justify the higher price. Maybe one day I shall own one :)
    Sadly (for me at least) it never seems to work out like that. There’s always something new and shiny to distract me.

Oooooooooooh, the patina on that Carl Brashear LE
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner1 View Post
    Oooooooooooh, the patina on that Carl Brashear LE
    That’s just how I like to see patina. I’m not into the green bronze look.

Congrats on your two Oris'. Both are developing their own unique patina. However, my favourite of the two has to be the Big Crown Pointer Date. As the patina ages, it will in all probability have a nice vintage vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    That’s just how I like to see patina. I’m not into the green bronze look.
    Agreed in theory, although I haven't personally seen / handled the green bronze before. My bronze Sixty Five is only 2 months old (and doesn't get a whole ton of wrist time), so I don't expect to see much patina for a while. That said, I absolutely love the bronze material.
    Before you ask, yes, I've seen -45 degrees (both Celsius and Fahrenheit)

Two beauties congrats.
    Alpina, Ambassadeurs, Frederique Constant, Girard-Perregaux, Glycine, Mido, NORD Zeitmachine, Omega, Oris, Poljot, Seiko, Swatch, Tissot, Tutima, Ulysse Nardin, Zenith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast