Thinks of going for the aquis v1 to aquis 39.5mm
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thinks of going for the aquis v1 to aquis 39.5mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinks of going for the aquis v1 to aquis 39.5mm

I have 7 1/4 wrist, I can carry off 42/43mm watches but I so find 38/39mm watches really nice, they look so much more intricate.

I wanted to upgrade to the v2 aquis for a while, for the leather strap option, and the fact that the links on the v2 and more smoother and arent as angular - but didnt feel there were big enough improvements to warrant taking a £400 hit buying a new aquis and selling my aquis on ebay. But the 39.5mm aquis is different enough to feel like a whole different watch, my reservation is that is it too small for me.

Oris 43mm gen1
    Name:  oris.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  164.3 KB
    Last edited by TigerUK; October 6th, 2019 at 15:28.
    Davemro, NC_Hager626 and Miked6 like this.

Thumbs Up Re: Thinks of going for the aquis v1 to aquis 39.5mm

If that's the 39.5 on your wrist, then no, I don't think it looks small. It looks perfect. It may feel that way if you're used to larger watches. I have several regular Aquis and a Clean Ocean. I thought the 39.5 would look weird, but once I wore it a bit, no problems. As everyone here will say: if you like it, to hell with what everyone else thinks.
    Last edited by Davemro; October 6th, 2019 at 03:43.

Re: Thinks of going for the aquis v1 to aquis 39.5mm

As mentioned in the previous post, if that is the 39.5mm Aquis then it is the perfect size for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just beware of the horrible screw bar design. It’s why I got rid of mine. You need TWO of their proprietary screw drivers (NOT CHEAP, if you can even get a hold of them, I had to fight with Oris to even get them to let me purchase them) luckily the AD I bought them from was awesome and was able to get me one. Also there’s about a 50/50 chance you’re going to absolutely destroy and mash the screw head part because of 1) they’re made out of play-doh and 2)For whatever reason they decided to use some extreme permanent bewitched thread locker on them.

I asked Oris to see if there was some trick to removing the bars and the person said they weren’t meant to be unscrewed and would need to be sent to a service center for any strap changes. Yeah no.

So if you do get the 39.5 get it on the strap you want from the start and if you do want to change to a rubber/bracelet etc plan to spend ~$100 for both screw drivers and new spring bars

That's a 43mm aquis, sorry, the way the hour and minute hands are placed it looks like a the newer hands.

So I'm guessing a 39.5mm will be too small then?

Quote Originally Posted by TigerUK View Post
    That's a 43mm aquis, sorry, the way the hour and minute hands are placed it looks like a the newer hands.

So I'm guessing a 39.5mm will be too small then?
    Well, you wear the 43mm very well on your wrist - you must have a flatter wrist than some other people - what is important is whether or not it is more comfortable to wear than the 39.5mm.

Try a 39.5mm on. Back in the day Oris did a 40mm Aquis and a lot of people who went for it later said that they wished they’d gone for the larger size.

Quote Originally Posted by rdranade View Post
    Just beware of the horrible screw bar design. It’s why I got rid of mine. You need TWO of their proprietary screw drivers (NOT CHEAP, if you can even get a hold of them, I had to fight with Oris to even get them to let me purchase them) luckily the AD I bought them from was awesome and was able to get me one.
    ...and, they are smaller than the ones you use for the full-size Aquis. 2.5 mm vs 2 mm. Found that out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Try a 39.5mm on. Back in the day Oris did a 40mm Aquis and a lot of people who went for it later said that they wished they’d gone for the larger size.
    Thanks, the nearest oris dealer is quite far for me, I should pop in and try it on for size. I always liked 40mm watches. I bought a sterile dial submariner to try on for size and I was surprised at how wearable it was, you can't notice you're wearing it.

Part of me (from the feedback above) wants to stick with the oris I have and buy a rubber strap for it and aftermarket leather strap that's sold on etsy.

Mentioned this before at various places on WUS.

When the 40mm version was announced I was just as excited as most however when I tried one on I hated it. Its too "stubby" imo. The proportions of the 43mm are great and short lugs work very well for me however the 39.5mm version felt very awkward. All they did was smoosh the 43mm down to 40mm. I have (and have had) many other 40mm divers that fit me much better. Others seem to like them however I hate them. I have 2 43mm Aquis that are among my favorite watches.
    Last edited by mplsabdullah; October 7th, 2019 at 17:10.
    TigerUK and GT3RS like this.
    %99 of people do not notice or care whats on your wrist. All that matters is that YOU like what you see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information