Thoughts on Oris Polishing
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Oris Polishing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thoughts on Oris Polishing

Hi all - I have the Oris Diver 65 (hodinkee) with a mirror polished caseback. The watch was my first with a mirror polish and also my first piece with a steel bracelet. The result has been a pretty scratched up caseback and lugs (as a result of strap changes).

What do you guys recommend? My friends are telling me not to touch it as itís only the underside of the watch but the scratches do really bother me as the watch is a recent purchase. On the other hand, I imagine Oris could polish it in a way thatís completely not noticeable but I hear from watch enthusiasts that would be a hit to value. I donít really plan to flip it but who knows in something like 10 years or so. Anyone ever have their watches polished by Oris before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Thoughts on Oris Polishing

Chrono, pics would be helpful. If the marks were only minor I’d leave them but your idea of minor and mine might be totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Chrono, pics would be helpful. If the marks were only minor Iíd leave them but your idea of minor and mine might be totally different.
    Sure. See below. These pics were taken within 20 minutes of each other. Really depends on the angle for the mirror to see the scratches.

evlkoala likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Leave them, they’re nothing
    evlkoala likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
    Leave them, theyíre nothing
    Yeah? Perhaps itís my OCD like tendencies but they bummed me out. The lugs especially. Iíve changed straps before but never had to remove a bracelet and did some damage there (even using tape). Would polishing do more harm than good to the value of the watch? Again, not looking to flip but just want to preserve the value of the pieces as I own from a collectorís perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKing View Post
    ...my OCD - want to preserve the value of the pieces as I own from a collectorís perspective.

If that's the case (no pun intended, [yeah sure, buddy LOL!]) don't ever wear your watches, just keep them in their display/shipping boxes.

If you ever sell, you van just disclose the scratches, which I’m sure there’s going to be more off by the time your done. Don’t worry pal it’s fine
    ChronoKing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
    If you ever sell, you van just disclose the scratches, which I’m sure there’s going to be more off by the time your done. Don’t worry pal it’s fine
    Thanks, Aidy. I wanted to remedy the scratches for my own benefit and use too but I'll likely learn to get over it. Better to disclose scratches than to disclose polishing, I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Chrono, pics would be helpful. If the marks were only minor I’d leave them but your idea of minor and mine might be totally different.
    Sticky, any thoughts on your end?

Minor, superficial marks my friend. Nothing at all to worry about.

Couple of side notes-

1. When you send your watch in to Oris for servicing at the normal interval, ask them to polish back to factory. That should do it.

2. It appears to my eyes from the 2nd pic that those minor scratches are coming from your bracelet when youíre laying the watch down, perhaps at night? Like, with the bracelet on, and you lay the watch down dial up on the bracelet? Am I off?

I hate polish finishes for the exact reason of your post. Thatís why I brush all of my bracelets

Good looking watch, wear and stare!

ChronoKing likes this.

Back then this would bother me, but here’s what I realized: I can get it polished, after that point when I put my watch back down wherever I used to put it, those scratches would happen again. I’d rather buy a new strap for the cost of polishing :)

If you’re not planning on selling the watch anytime soon, just leave it. You’ll forget it’s even there. Some people might recommend using cape cod to polish it off.
    ChronoKing likes this.
    Just a man staring at his watch, but not looking at the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information