Timeless Oris 65 Limited Edition "On The Wrist" Review
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Timeless Oris 65 Limited Edition "On The Wrist" Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Timeless Oris 65 Limited Edition "On The Wrist" Review

One of the things I like most about Timeless Luxury Watches is that I never feel like a customer there. Vijo, Steve, Dan and Anna always treat me like an old friend regardless of the fact that I've only been there in person a handful of times and most of our correspondence is via email or phone call. My first purchase there was their Limited Edition Nomos (that I'll be doing a long-term review on later this year) and I had the opportunity to pick up my Timeless Oris 65 the very day they arrived at Timeless (and coinciding nicely with their year anniversary at the new store on July 20, 2019).

Name:  4CDAD45D-887B-49B1-873C-9D13A0E9263F.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  1.79 MB

One of the first things you notice about this version of the Oris 65 is the lack of an ugly date window that mars the regular line of watches and the lovely dark "seaweed" green dial. The dial appears slightly curved and has a wonderful grainy texture to it. It starts as an algae or seaweed color and fades to a dark dark green into black at the edges giving it a lot of character and the graininess gives the owner a lot to look at in direct sunlight. In darker weather or lighting it has a very subdued dark forest green feel and gives it a more reserved tone. Accenting the green is a bronze ring on the circumference of the rotating diving bezel. These accents are mirrored to the bronze colored hands and the applied surrounds around the numerals. Offsetting these two colors are bright white Brashear-style indices as found on their Brashear Limited Edition.

Name:  IMG_6138.JPEG
Views: 206
Size:  2.22 MB

The combination of colors is a pleasant combination of soft green, bright bronze, dull bronze, black and white. The bronze edging of the diving bezel patinas nicely without looking dirty or gaudy and the black and white numerals found around the bezel give plenty of legibility. Top it off with a huge dot of Superluminova at 12 o'clock and I never once had trouble reading the bezel at any position at any time of the day. In fact, the Superluminova (C3 I believe) is so thickly applied that just stepping into my garage mid-afternoon was sufficient to get a great shot of the lume in action.

Name:  IMG_6017.JPEG
Views: 194
Size:  390.4 KB

Usually I need to step into the bathroom without the lights on to get these shots, but not with the Timeless 65. The case is made of regular 316L stainless steel with a solid caseback that's tasteful and sparse hiding the modified Oris Caliber 733 (Sellita SW200-1) inside. At only 12.75mm thick it's pretty darn easy to wear and the bronze is somewhat attention grabbing. Lots of "hey what's that" from people I don't know that well, which is a huge rarity for almost any WIS.

Name:  IMG_6222.JPEG
Views: 190
Size:  2.88 MB

There's very little not to like about the aesthetics of what Timeless has done with Oris on their first collaboration, but I do have one nitpick that's hard to pick up on camera, but very easy to see with the naked eye. The watch sports a hugely domed "bubble-style" sapphire that evokes vintage divers and reflective bronze surrounds and minute indices on the black edge of the dial. The result is that the middle-to-edges of the indices are distorted and it makes the minute marker hard to see accurately. Often times I actually just use the dive bezel in the default setting to be able to reference those indices as they are easier to see when I’m filling out documentation.

Name:  58743064438__60EDAAAA-28A6-4E6E-98BD-B7B97C08D567copy.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  1.88 MB

The watch is delivered on a leather quick-change strap with an additional "tropic" rubber strap that also has quick-change springbars. This is really the first time I've been truly disappointed with the quality control from Timeless and it makes me wonder if Oris altered the straps between approval of the prototype and delivery. The tropical rubber strap is by far the more comfortable of the two, immediately coming out of the box supple and flexible with enough sizing holes to always get a good fit in just about any condition. However, the ends of the strap are too big for the case of the watch and require you to force them into position clipping the rubber at the ends. The leather band is just an absolute disappointment.

Name:  IMG_0132.JPEG
Views: 198
Size:  770.3 KB

The leather band Oris provides looks good enough but it is incredibly stiff and even as of this writing hasn't really "broken-in" the way I'd like or expect it to. The pin-buckle strap the band comes on has chewed up the entire length of the sized portion. After inspection of the buckle, I cannot find any burrs or sharp edges leaving me to believe the paintwork on the side of the strap is simply sub par compared to higher quality straps. At the end of the day the worst thing about this watch is the easiest thing to fix, I just wish I didn't have to fix it at all considering the watch is less than 6 months old. If I was going to order one today, I'd get it on the bracelet and find a strap from someone who will give you a better experience.

Name:  IMG_0120.JPEG
Views: 189
Size:  2.89 MB

Even with my less than stellar review of the accessories and the slight legibility problem I can't help but wear this one all the time. It's a great looking watch and I've barely taken it off since July. It gets a huge amount of wrist time and a lot of people stop to take a look at it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the attention but unfortunately Timeless only made 100 of these so if you like the look of it and you can live with sourcing your own strap, I still recommend you consider one for yourself.
    Last edited by JacobC; November 5th, 2019 at 01:39. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

Re: Timeless Oris 65 Limited Edition "On The Wrist" Review

Great write up! I have had mine a few months and love it. Your right the dial is the best part, wonderful sorta forest/moss green with bronze accent bezel. The dial is symmetrical without a date window and I prefer the more slender hour markers makes the watch feels less chunky.

I couldn't agree more with the disappoint in OEM leather strap so stiff and not comfortable. I took it off after first day. I opted out of the braclet as I dont like the rivet style and I think the bronze bezel looks way better on leather and straps. The tropic rubber strap included is quite comfortable and nice to swim in but I don't think it makes the watch look it's best.

Crown and buckle straps saved this watch for me.
    First strap is their Chevron night & forest color. Super comfortable, adjustable and makes it wearable with blue

Second strap is Crown and buckle - black label Okan leather strap that is superior quality and comfort to the OEM. I think it looks better as well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    JacobC, EightEyes, kplam and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alutz View Post
    Great write up! I have had mine a few months and love it. Your right the dial is the best part, wonderful sorta forest/moss green with bronze accent bezel. The dial is symmetrical without a date window and I prefer the more slender hour markers makes the watch feels less chunky.

I couldn't agree more with the disappoint in OEM leather strap so stiff and not comfortable. I took it off after first day. I opted out of the braclet as I dont like the rivet style and I think the bronze bezel looks way better on leather and straps. The tropic rubber strap included is quite comfortable and nice to swim in but I don't think it makes the watch look it's best.

Crown and buckle straps saved this watch for me.
    First strap is their Chevron night & forest color. Super comfortable, adjustable and makes it wearable with blue

Second strap is Crown and buckle - black label Okan leather strap that is superior quality and comfort to the OEM. I think it looks better as well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the strap recommendation! I'm going to look into it because now that the review is over I'm pitching that strap in the trash where it belongs. Luckily it's still 81-88 degrees Fahrenheit here so the rubber still getting lots of love from me. Plus I work in a hospital so rinsing the rubber off and sanitizing it is a breeze.

Instagram @open_escapement

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Absolutely lovely watch - all that’s missing is a date window. Before you bin the strap reach out to TLW as I suspect there may be a known issue with these horrors and you never know your luck in a raffle.
    evlkoala likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Absolutely lovely watch - all that’s missing is a date window. Before you bin the strap reach out to TLW as I suspect there may be a known issue with these horrors and you never know your luck in a raffle.
    Normally I would but I also really love the straps from DE Griff and would rather have one of those than another Oris strap. I have no doubt TLW would make it right for me.

Excellent review and great photos as well! Yes, I have always had great experiences with Timeless, and that is all the way from here in Canada. All my questions and transactions done by email or phone. A great staff and owners!

My experience with the leather strap is about the same. The coating on the edges of the strap started coming apart almost right away. I remedied that by scraping off all the coating and applying a small amount of black shoe polish with a soft cloth. I haven't had problems with the shoe polish marking my clothing or skin, so far. Still, it is not a great fix and kind of ruined my feelings for the leather strap. I haven't tried the rubber strap yet, but am contemplating a stainless steel bracelet.

I really like the looks of everything else about the watch. Naturally, the unique green dial is the best feature. I also like the white markers, and agree about the lume.

The fact that there is no date window on the dial was a big selling feature for me. And I also found out that the movement was indeed altered, the date wheel removed, and also the date stop on the crown stem is removed, so it is a true no date watch. Very impressive.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Last edited by carlhaluss; November 8th, 2019 at 02:29.
    JacobC and evlkoala like this.
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

A great review and pics. Timeless did an excellent job of picking out the right green texture for their LE for the dial is stunning. And, thanks for the information about the Oris straps quality control issues - good to know. Enjoy your limited edition Oris 65.

Excellent review! This is one of my favorites of the many 65 iterations. I concur on the strap. Junk. The dial looks amazing in that combo with no date.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
    Excellent review! This is one of my favorites of the many 65 iterations. I concur on the strap. Junk. The dial looks amazing in that combo with no date.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    It's astonishing to me how good it looks.

Great review. This is my favorite 65 variant, but at $2,530 with a bracelet I needed some convincing. It is disappointing about the strap, but I never really liked it anyway. With only a 100 pieces, I better not think too long on it. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information