What is it about Oris.........for you?
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: What is it about Oris.........for you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is it about Oris.........for you?

This will either turn into a really lame post and failure of a thread, or it will hopefully become a thread where owners and fans can really talk about their interest/love for the brand without discussing a particular watch.
    Oris has always occupied a certain space in my perception of this whole WIS thing right from the very beginning. I started this serious interest in watches (dive to be more specific) around 2006 I believe, when I started frequenting various forums, online retailers, etc. I started with a Seiko Orange Monster that was bought a few years previous and worn as a daily watch. I got sucked into the early Invicta thing that lasted a short time, got into Zodiac, Early Micro Brands like Bali Ha'i, and Orsa, SKX series divers, and Citizen Divers. The likes of IWC, Rolex, Panerai, Anonimo, etc, were so far out of reach, that they never did (or likely will) play any role in my collecting.
    The Oris TT1 on the other hand was one of those attainable watches that still held "grail" status. I combed over photos and reviews incessantly and could not stop obsessing over this watch. There was something about it. The dial work, the kettle/donut shaped case which was unlike anything I had seen at the time, made me feel like Oris had it's own authentic design language, that was not derivative and they seemed liked a true idependant manufacturer. Three years later in 2009 I was in a position to spend the 2200.00 or whatever it was from a brick and mortar AD no less and get the TT1 1000m small seconds on bracelet with orange lume. I could not believe the finishing and workmanship of that watch. It was the first watch that felt like it was imparting some kind of "feeling" while wearing it. At least for me. Not just visual interest, weight, or mechanical accuracy, but an actual "sense of well being" feeling. Like magic. No other watch in my sizable collection had this effect.
    I imagine this is what high end watch owners feel with their top tier watches. Oris owns that rare space in the 2000.00 (retail) segment that is such a huge jump from 500.00 Micros and entry level big name watches, like Tissot, Certina, Alpina, etc, but bridges that gap to the 8000.00 dollar and above category (at least I feel like it does) so well.
    They are a grail watch for everyday watch fans, and they deserve that position and then some in my humble opinion. Oris will always occupy a prominent position in my perception of this watch game.

PLEASE. share your thoughts as Oris owners/fans.

Quick memory lane trip.................. Remember when there was one mid series season of the Soprano's in which Oris had aggressive product placement? Heavily featured in almost every episode? I do, and being a couple of decades before the advent of influencers and the like, thought it was the coolest thing ever. Oris has done a TON of stuff right in my book.

What is your story?
    ..........never cheer before you know who is winning.........

Re: What is it about Oris.........for you?

Threads are useless without pics, I guess, so here are my three. They've all been seen here before several times, but whatever.......that's what WUS is for!

The original grail that I still proudly own.

Name:  49mile038.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  71.9 KB

2011 Big Crown Chrono

Name:  IMG_20180423_172352 (1).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.18 MB

Recently acquired 65

Name:  IMG_20191130_0750331.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  3.17 MB

Perth Western Australia (born and family) but ATM I'm based in Queensland AUS in Townsville

Good post! I'm in the military here in Australia and needed a real military watch that could keep up with my need, and decided on a Oris Paradropper. It was near new with box and papers for $4200 AU which isn't cheap but I'm hoping it will last a life time with proper servicing.
    Cheers....

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perth Western Australia (born and family) but ATM I'm based in Queensland AUS in Townsville

Quote Originally Posted by wheelbuilder View Post
    Threads are useless without pics, I guess, so here are my three. They've all been seen here before several times, but whatever.......that's what WUS is for!

The original grail that I still proudly own.

Name:  49mile038.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  71.9 KB

2011 Big Crown Chrono

Name:  IMG_20180423_172352 (1).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.18 MB

Recently acquired 65

Name:  IMG_20191130_0750331.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  3.17 MB
    That big crown looks awesome buddy!

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    evlkoala likes this.

I started collecting watches in the early 90s with Swatch and Gucci, Mickey Mouse. I "Graduated" into a Rolex thunderbird, a Submariner and a Tudor around the time I turned 21. I was then off into Omega with the Seamaster Bond and a few vintage pieces (ah the old days of cheap omegas!) I moved on to Seikos and bought a ton and then as you mentioned I found Oris, Hamilton and other brands that were a fraction of the price new, I like the designs better and I just went that way. I purchased my first Oris after seeing a williams F1 a guy I met from another forum had--there was a website way back in the day called "Friends of Oris" it was a sister site to "friends of Habanos" a cigar shop. I do not know what happened to either of the sites, but they had a great feel to them with alot of manly type content like fishing, smoking, drinking and generally acting like frat boys-there was one gal named Lisa that kept them all in check. I bought my first three Oris from them including two Frank Sinatra Date models (one I still have) and an Oris Miles Davis. I also bought an artelier complication from a local Jared that I lusted after but found the dial to be too complicated so it didn't stick around.

Fast forward to today and I really enjoy the "Oris Bear" and that they don't take themselves too seriously - the stodgy nature of the watch industry has always turned me off. I have met Rolf the CEO in Vegas and a few other high level execs at watch shows and they are super nice people. I recently purchased the Oris "Honey" Diver 65 - they really knocked it out of the park with the 65 in all of its iterations. I wish I could have been around for the redbar edition as it is a grail for me. The slogan "Go your own way" fits with how I live my life.

TLDR- been a fan for many years, love the connection to music and art and the company is ran by cool cats. They also offer great value for money and avant garde designs I dig.

Interesting, I don't remember any Oris PP in The Sopranos.

To me, I appreciate that Oris has a very long history in watchmaking. They didn't do a whole lot of pioneering and aren't commonly recognized for it, but I like knowing it's there. They seem to take a vested interest in what their current lineup is inspired around (sponsorship of motorsports, aviation and oceanic preservation) which I also appreciate. Oris also seems to punch pretty well above their price point in terms of quality and design. My ChronOris was never really a grail, or anything more than "oh that's pretty neat" to me, until I tried one on and really liked it. Something about actually wearing it really pulled me in. I'd say I see them as more of an "enthusiast" brand, or that someone wearing one is probably fairly conscious of quality relative to price, or even as more attainable "grail" watches for some.

For photo relevance, my ChronOris:
    Name:  IMG_6757.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  3.04 MB
    _Harrison

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@indygreg.........I remember Friends of Oris as well. There was an on air camera operator for CBS or one of the other networks who was a part of that, and was kind of the Oris authority on the various smaller forums like WTF, BDWF etc............it was one of his pics of the TT1 that got me started.

@projekt-H.......my memory is fuzzy but it was the season in which Christopher became involved in movie production? They attended an awards show that was supposed to look like the oscars or something. The gift bags all had various Oris watches in them and there was an Oris booth that many of the scenes were shot around. Paulie was there and robbed an actress of her gift bag in the parking lot for the watch that was in it. Every subsequent episode in that season showed numerous wrist shots of all of the main characters including Tony wearing Oris. It was pretty over the top but pretty damn cool. It only lasted that one season though, then the Oris were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelbuilder View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

@indygreg.........I remember Friends of Oris as well. There was an on air camera operator for CBS or one of the other networks who was a part of that, and was kind of the Oris authority on the various smaller forums like WTF, BDWF etc............it was one of his pics of the TT1 that got me started.

@projekt-H.......my memory is fuzzy but it was the season in which Christopher became involved in movie production? They attended an awards show that was supposed to look like the oscars or something. The gift bags all had various Oris watches in them and there was an Oris booth that many of the scenes were shot around. Paulie was there and robbed an actress of her gift bag in the parking lot for the watch that was in it. Every subsequent episode in that season showed numerous wrist shots of all of the main characters including Tony wearing Oris. It was pretty over the top but pretty damn cool. It only lasted that one season though, then the Oris were gone.
    That is the dude I met! I used to own a nightclub and he was running a camera at the Indy 500. We partied and had a great dinner at Maggianos. Damn that's been around 15 years ago now. Time flies. He is also why I first got a black monster. Almost positive his name was Jeff but it's been a long time. He took amazing pics of his watches. The internet really has brought alot of folks together!. (And prob isolated many more) but that's a topic for another day. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

First thing first - they have good designs. Then the list goes something like this for me:
    - They are good value for the money
    - You don’t see every Tom, Dick, and Harry wearing one
    - The brand doesn’t take itself too seriously
    - They have good history
    - They are one of the last Independently owned watchmakers
    - They have some excellent designs
    - They have some great in house movements

I first discovered Oris when I stopped in a store to check out another brand and they had them there. First piece I saw was the then-new ProPilot cal 110. I fell in love, but was weary about spending that much on an unknown brand and a brand new in house movement. By the time I went home and did my research and went back to take a more serious look at it, someone had already snatched it up. I then started looking (and lusting) for several years. My chance to own one finally came in 2017 when I acquired one as part of a trade deal with a member on here. I have the new silver dial ProPilot Date and love it. I probably have a dozen straps I swap out all the time.

It sits and fits in my collection right next to my Omega SMPc, 1968 Omega Speedy, Tag Grand Carrera, and several other pieces. I’m now on the hunt for another Pilot (the black case date model).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    evlkoala, gmads and Tanker G1 like this.
    “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Because they make watches like this...
    The dial is stunning. (Unlike my photo!)
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 126
Size:  1.75 MB
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information