Winder for an Oris?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Winder for an Oris?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winder for an Oris?

I finally have ordered a good watch, an Oris Diver Date and the Jewler mentioned that automatic watches work and last the longest if they keep working.
    Now I am wondering if I should purchase a winder since I will only be wearing the watch a few days a week at best. I am sure many members could accuratetly shed some light on this issue.

Thanks!

Re: Winder for an Oris?

I tried juggling 2 automatic watches without a winder. Achievable but i couldn't wear the same watch for more than 2 days in a row.

I bought a winder and life is much easier now.
    BELL & ROSS - BR01-96 | CASIO - G Shock G-7900A-7 | ORIS - Oris Divers Small Second, Date | TISSOT - T Race-MotoGP | TIMEX - Indiglo Reef Gear

No, unless you have an auto perpetual calendar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I see no reason to believe your jeweler. I believe that a mechanical clock should be set to work once a month or so, for 24 hours, just to keep the oil where it's supposed to be. But I see no reason to think that using it all the time, rather than part of the time, would help its long-term health.

The more complications your watch has, the more trouble you'll save by keeping it wound. But you'll have to change its time periodically anyway, because of the watch's inherent accuracy.
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

Let me guess - this jeweler also sells winders?
    124Spider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 124Spider View Post
    I see no reason to believe your jeweler. I believe that a mechanical clock should be set to work once a month or so, for 24 hours, just to keep the oil where it's supposed to be. But I see no reason to think that using it all the time, rather than part of the time, would help its long-term health.

The more complications your watch has, the more trouble you'll save by keeping it wound. But you'll have to change its time periodically anyway, because of the watch's inherent accuracy.
    Okay, I follow what you are saying and it makes sense. If I am going to wear the watch once a week, should I keep it wound or just re-set the watch when using it?

i ahve 2 spring drive Seiko's and just re-set them when using them. Difficult choices once you have 4 or 5 watches and this is where the Eco Drive (solar) becomes a real advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Okay, I follow what you are saying and it makes sense. If I am going to wear the watch once a week, should I keep it wound or just re-set the watch when using it?

i ahve 2 spring drive Seiko's and just re-set them when using them. Difficult choices once you have 4 or 5 watches and this is where the Eco Drive (solar) becomes a real advantage.
    Spring Drive watches aren't supposed to be on a winder; I have no idea why, but that's Seiko's firm recommendation.

I wear my Spring Drive watches for two days at a time, alternating, so the rarely run down (only when I'm out of town, because I only take one with me). The other two watches are mostly left unwound, worn occasionally (and wound/set for the occasion). I have several watch winders, but don't use them.

YMMV

Mark
    Mark
    ---------------------------
    Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph SPS003
    Oris TT1 Titan Diver Chronograph 1000M

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01
    Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT SBGE001

None of my autos live on a winder and the only reason I would consider one is if the watch had a complication that was a PITA to set when I came to wear it. The argument over whether it is best to let a watch run down or keep it moving rumbles on. No prizes for guessing which camp I'm in.

For the record, my "pro-winder" stance is purely because i'd prefer not to have to reset my watches before i wear them every time.

I could say i'm worried about putting undue wear on the crowns, but i'm just lazy :)
    BELL & ROSS - BR01-96 | CASIO - G Shock G-7900A-7 | ORIS - Oris Divers Small Second, Date | TISSOT - T Race-MotoGP | TIMEX - Indiglo Reef Gear

You now what, whatever you are comfortable with and works for your situation make best sense. I was just curious what is the best situation for the watch but apparently there are two trains of thought and I am sure that neither one really surpasses the other by a whole lot!
    Last edited by rickcin; November 7th, 2013 at 00:22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information