Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)? - Page 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Funny you should ask. I have a Waterman pen that sat in my office drawer unused for years. My issue with using a fountain pen for me is how to carry it around (I"m not a pocket protector kind of guy). I found it in my desk drawer last week. Since I now regularly wear a belt bag to hold all my stuff, so I can conveniently carry the pen and thus have it ready to use...

so, yes, I now use my fountain pen (again !).
    The Raketa 24 hr Royal Majesty.
    3 and counting !

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

I only use them at home, or out locally. I keep one or two inked (collect vintage, mostly Parker 51's and Esterbrook with a few others too).

They're too much hassle to travel with though, I generally stick with a Parker Jotter or my favorite, a Fisher AG7 Space Pen when traveling/flying.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Mine are mostly collectible pieces but I do have one MB 149, which I bought for myself to use last christmas, which I have yet to do so...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Although this is a VERY late response to your post I'll give it a try.
    I noticed that of your many watches you only list one mechanical. To my way of thinking there is a 'kinship' between the mechanical watches and the FP. Likewise I see quartz watches similar to ballpoints/rollerballs.
    Yes, I do enjoy(please note that word - enjoy)using a fountain pen. And I enjoy a mechanical watch much more than a quartz. I think it's just two different types of people. Just my 2 cents worth- Don

I use my fountain pens all the time.

I bought my first Monteblanc, a Diplomat which I still have, in 1965 when I started college. I carried it all the time and used it for almost all purposes. And I've used a fountain pen consistently ever since.

I used a fountain pen for pretty much everything throughout my student and working life. Now, in retirement, I continue to carry a fountain pen every day and use it for just about anything I might need a pen for, except, for example, on inappropriate paper or when making copies on a multi-part form. I hardly ever use any other sort of pen.

Over the years, I've acquired quite a few. For the last several years I've favored my Pelikans and Auroras.
    Last edited by fiddletown; June 7th, 2007 at 08:27.

Picture Re: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

I actually just started collecting pens....and was honest with myself and only buy nice Roller Ball pens. I love everything about fountain pens...except using them!
    Someone likened FP's to mechanical watches and Ball Pens to quartz...I do not agree.
    I might agree to:
    Fountain Pen = Pocket Watch
    RollerBall & Ball Point = Automatic Mechanical Watch
    Computer = Quartz
    The best part for me with Rollerballs is you get the same beautiful looking instrument, more convenient, and usually 20-30% cheaper than the same FP version.
    Here is my small collection...which I use all-the-time
    left-to-right: Laban, Taccia, Xezo
    kostependrhs likes this.

I am a newbie on this site, however I have been using and carrying fountain pens for years. I use them every day at my desk for approving documents, signing contracts. I also try to do two to three hours of creative writing every week which I enjoy much more with a fountain pen than when I type. It seems that for me the act of creative thought is more productive when recorded with a fountain pen than with any other method. Anyway, yes, every day. I am currently using a MB Anniversary edition FP and I carry an identical rollerball so that I can hand it to other people to use if the need should arise.

i deeply regret not keeping the parker flighter i had. but i don't use fountain pens any more. my preferred writing instrument is either a fibre tip or a propelling pencil.

the thing about roller ball pens is, and this age old wisdom appears have been lost in the mists of time judging by this thread, that they ruin ones hand writing. the reason being that they do not give sufficient feel when writing. it's a bit like trying to stand on ice. hence my preference.

also, i spend so much time hammering away at a keyboard, i only use a pen for notes. i've a good size callas on my left thumb where it hits the space bar.

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E View Post
    So in what situation do you fountain pen owners use them?

I use fountain pens very rarely in daily work for notes (most of my work is done via a keyboard). I find that the ink takes too long to dry and I end up with ink on my hands or worse yet my clothes. I also prefer fine point nibs which are very rarely lent to people and you hope they do not come back damaged. I work with people that seem to be trying to engrave the the writing surface with the pen (i.e. very hard touch). I also use cartridge ink refills, so once I open the cartridge I continue using that pen until the ink cartridge is empty (call me cheap I hate having the cartridge just dry up). I then clean it up and place it back in its drawer until I get an urge that I can't suppress. I normally use at least (sometimes 2 to 3) a different writing instrument each day. It either matches the outfit I am wearing or the writing mood I am in.

Sandra

Sure I do. I only have one, a Waterman, but I use it all the time. My handwriting looks a little better at least compared to ball point, but mostly because I'm lazy! How is that, what with all the maintenance? Well, a ball point pen needs a little bit of pressure but with the fountain pen it just flows (like a fountain, I guess...).

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information