Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)? - Page 6
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Re: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    I find it interesting that people consider fountain pens to be "luxury" items. Quality, well-made items, perhaps, but luxury? I wouldn't think so. They seem to forget that not too long ago, a fountain pen was the only ink-based writing instrument available.
    One needs to remember that in today's world, a fountain pen is part of the "evil" rich. You know, someone to be disliked because of their flaunting their wealth.

For example, I have a Pelikan demonstrator I paid 75USD for and I put in a spare Pelikan gold nib. When my friends found out I paid $75 for it, they were very dismissive. "Why I should get a ball point for under $2! This is despite the fact that most FPs can go for more.

When I told them that it amounted to their buying lunch for 2 weeks while I made mine from leftovers, they were not amused.

The fact that the FP was the defacto writing implement makes little sense to the wealth envy hating crowd of today.

Enjoy what you have. I certainly do!

Dan

I use my fountain pens (yes, pens) every day. But of course, that should come as no surprise to anyone who reads my signature!

My current favorite is a Sailor Naginata in black wtih gold trim and an EF nib. While I love the line made by a broad nib (particularly cursive italic nibs), the EF is more practical for 90% of my use, which consists of writing notes and marginalia.

I'm not sure which watch Sailor would be considered on par with, but their quality is outstanding. Few outside of the pen cognascenti are familiar with the brand, but they are generally well-thought of by those who've used them, plus they generally offer excellent value for the money. Perhaps Stowa?
    James Partridge

On the wrist today: D. Dornblueth & Sohn 99.8

Quote Originally Posted by TimeZero View Post
    I use my fountain pens (yes, pens) every day. But of course, that should come as no surprise to anyone who reads my signature!

My current favorite is a Sailor Naginata in black wtih gold trim and an EF nib. While I love the line made by a broad nib (particularly cursive italic nibs), the EF is more practical for 90% of my use, which consists of writing notes and marginalia.

I'm not sure which watch Sailor would be considered on par with, but their quality is outstanding. Few outside of the pen cognascenti are familiar with the brand, but they are generally well-thought of by those who've used them, plus they generally offer excellent value for the money. Perhaps Stowa?
    Sailor! They are gorgeous pens, you have great tastes.

Regards:
    -Aaron
    The Mentionables:
    -TagHeuer
    Aquaracer Chronograph Automatic, SS & 18K
    -SEA-GULL M199s Moon-phase chronograph
    -Seiko Flight Master Alarm Chronograph
    -Citizen Promaster 200m Automatic NY2300

-Parker Sonnet Sterling tartan trim Fountain, 18K nib ($240)
    -Monteverde Invincia rosegold & carbonfiber fountain, Ir. ($90)

.SEA-GULL

TAGHeuer

ROLEX

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes! I am in high school and I use mine everyday in English Class, US History, and Spanish Class. Every now and then i'll use my Waterman expert rb.

Ozy

Wow, long thread!

I use mine all and every day ...my wife bought it for me, I know nothing of fountain pens, except that I like to write with them. I like to connect 'through' through them, as writing is becoming a dying past time.

It's a Sterling Silver Waldmann please, forgive the Patina if it's not yout thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxq View Post
    Ball point pen are also a lot cheaper have a better price:value ratio.
    If we look at the value of the ink, you get more mileage per money unit using fountain pen ink instead of ballpoint ink. When the ballpoint ink is finished, you end up with something that you have to put it in the garbage, be it a plastic body or a metal refill body. Fountain pen is both more economical inkwise and enviromental safer.
    Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E
    ;333338
    In my very humble opinion, they are impractical to use, and require higher maintenance when compared to ball point pens.

So in what situation do you fountain pen owners use them? Only for signing large cheques?
    I use them almost exclusively. The only time I need a ballpoint is when I write on a coated paper.

Since I do not have bulletproof ink, I also use gel/ ballpoint ( Iso 12757-2 type ) when I need my signature to be tamperproof. I will immediately switch to fountain pens, when I get my bulletproof ink.

I really do not find fountains pen impractical at all. Care is needed; I do not store them with nib pointing downwards. If I am not going to use a fountain pen for several weeks, I empty the ink and clean it by filling and emptying it with warm water before I store it. Even if I do not do this process, it really is easy to clean a dried ink in a fountain pen.

Granted the ballpoints do not need this type of care. But the writing experience between the two is not comparable. I am willing to pay the price for it by taking care of the pen in order to enjoy my writing experience. I fill them up when I travel and had no problem with any of my FPs.

3 days ago a BIC style ballpoint leaked in my house. Since it is oil-based ink, I still have not been able to clean it. All modern fountain pen inks are water-based and simply just wash away with plain water.

"Fountain pen is like a mechanical watch, and ballpoint pen is like a quartz watch" is a good anology.

Regards,
    Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

Hi Kaissa,

I thoroughly agree with what you've said. In this world of "green" this and "eco" that and "Earth-friendly" the-other and "bio"-something else, people are gradually realising that perhaps they should look to history for inspiration.

I use a mechanical watch; it requires a servicing every five years, but that's it.

I shave with a double-edged safety-razor which uses old razor-blades which are resharpenable.

I use fountain pens which last forever.

If someone asks me why I use any of them, I just say: "It's good for the planet".

A ballpoint pen is a metal tube with paste in it. Once it's used up, you throw it away.
    A quartz watch is probably thrown away once the battery dies. Or else is replaced with a new battery and the other one goes to the landfill.
    A modern cartridge-razor has blades which you can't resharpen, so once they dull, you throw them away and waste more money on more blades...which you'll also end up throwing away in a few weeks' time.

I'd be lost without my fountain pens. I absolutely refuse to write with anything else. You won't find a single ballpoint pen in my room, and you'll never find one on my person, either. I simply don't keep or carry them; haven't done since I was seven years old.

Buying a fountain pen purely to show it off and display it behind a glass case is a waste of money in my book. You SPENT the CASH; you might as well use the damn thing! It's like buying a house and not living in it, or a car and not driving it, a watch, and not winding it or wearing it. If you're not going to use it, you've just wasted your money. And the more expensive something is, the more I'd be using it. My most valuable watch is in regular use every day. If I wasn't going to use it, it'd be sold by now.
    Last edited by Shangas; February 14th, 2010 at 11:33.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I am using both fountain pen and ballpoint pen to write article. Fountain pen hand writing is fabulous so I always prefer fountain pen than ballpoint pen.

I use mine all day every day. I find the smooth feel and writing characteristics to be quite therapeutic. If I were forced to use a ballpoint all day long it would eventually be used as melee weapon in a scratchy ballpoint induced fit of rage.
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information