Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)? - Page 8
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Well, the only pens I own are fountain pens! I am currently writing a book on Henry David Thoreau and I am writing between 10-20 pages in the extra large clairefontain journal daily.

I find writing with a fountain pen really helps with my creative flow!

All the best,
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by shandy View Post
    ... I am currently writing a book on Henry David Thoreau and ... I find writing with a fountain pen really helps with my creative flow!
    I don't write book(s) but agree with your point on creative flow. It's also about the feel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GavH View Post
    The only FP I own at present is a Chrome Cross ATX with a Medium nib, .... If anything I'd say it is too broad and wet, something I am hoping to remedy by acquiring either a Namiki, Sailor or a Monteverde Invincia (or inevitably all of the above!)....
    If too broad and wet being the issue, you may like to consider ordering a replacement nib in "Fine" from Cross :

http://www.cross-pens.eu/products/ni...nib/pid-86166s

Otherwise, both Pilot and Sailor offer good value pens.
    (Photos taken from the internet.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Off Topic post Re: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

I usually use a ball point at work! BUT, at home I use Fountain pens almost exclusively...The best one I use id a Parker 51, a Sailor 1911, a Shaeffer Heratige, and two Lamy Safari's a med and a broad nib.
    My favoritist is the Parker 51!
    I write letters mostly to not forget what REAL is.
    Happy scribbiling,

LR

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E View Post
    Hey all.

I've got 2 beautiful fountain pens that were given to me, but I don't use them at all.

In my very humble opinion, they are impractical to use, and require higher maintenance when compared to ball point pens.

So in what situation do you fountain pen owners use them? Only for signing large cheques?
    I'm not a collector, just a guy who has learned to appreciate good writing instruments. After reading this thread, I realize that I have fairly distinct situations in which I choose to use different types of pens.

At my home desk, my Waterman Expert is the first choice for writing letters and annotating Birthday & Christmas cards. I suppose that the "ceremonial" act of using a fountain pen causes one to be just a bit more reflective. My notes are automatically better with a FP. The ink drys fairly quickly on glossly paper which automatically excludes using a rollerball. But the large waterman doesn't travel that well and doesn't lay flat under a suit coat, and it has that cap which is one more thing to drop or lose.

The pen I prefer for general use at home is a good rollerball. The on/off writing associated with paying bills and conducting business is ideal for a rollerball which is significantly less inclined to dry up if you set it down uncapped for a few hours while doing something else. But I doubt that any rollerball will work that well of glossy greeting cards. Rollerballs don't travel that well either; you always have that cap to lose and the Parker Rollerball I currently have tends to leak a bit, and requires more cleanup than a good ballpoint. (I am thinking about upgrading to a Pelikan 400.)

When I am "out and about", I carry my Cross Classic Ballpoint. It fits nicely under a jacket. The twist feature ensures that I won't inadvertantly push in a top button and ruin a shirt. It is a remarkably durable instrument that writes much better than the cheap "give away" that banks and businesses make available for use. I really don't expect to write any long narratives with it, but it is perfect for signing documents and filling out forms.

When I am wearing jeans, hiking or riding my motorcycle, I jam a compact Fisher Space Pen into my pocket. Those things really perform and they virtually unbreakable.

... and then there are all those cheapos that seem to find their way into the household, .... reproducing, .... cluttering up drawers and occupying coutertop space. I periodically round them up the worst of them and deposit them at Goodwill.
    Last edited by Moondancer; March 14th, 2010 at 20:41.

I started using cheap fountain pens in grammar school. It was not very popular with the teachers. Always concerned with my being able to erase my mistakes.... However it taught me to think before I wrote. It also gave me excellent penmanship, something that I still get comments on today.

Currently I do not own a fp, but I recently found a shop close by that sells and stocks quite a selection. I'll be getting one soon.
    Looking for a Benarus Megladon 500m. Also the Benarus Megladon 4 Titanium.
    PM me if you've got one for sale.

I have 4 pens on the go at any one time, Blue, red, green and purple ink.

I carry 4 small plastic bottles of ink with me. - No probs for me.
    Girard Perregaux Laureato EVO 3
    Oris TT1 in Titanium with full lume dial
    Ray Knight Pan Homage
    Boschett Cave Dweller No41
    Asian MM that my son no longer wears
    Parnis 'Portugese' with seconds and power reserve sub dials
    Glycine Incursore PVD and California Dial
    Minorva (true) Tourbillon Regulator
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver in Orange
    Tao International Retrograde
    Anonimo DayDate
    Tao International Big Date GMT

Quote Originally Posted by bvmjethead View Post
    I started using cheap fountain pens in grammar school. It was not very popular with the teachers.
    I was required to own and use a FP in high school in the UK as was everyone else I went to school with. That started a lifelong love affair with fountain pens for me.

heb

Apparently no one uses their Conway Stewart fountain pens.

heb

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E View Post
    Hey all.

I've got 2 beautiful fountain pens that were given to me, but I don't use them at all.

In my very humble opinion, they are impractical to use, and require higher maintenance when compared to ball point pens.

So in what situation do you fountain pen owners use them? Only for signing large cheques?
    I use them on a daily basis. During the day, I take notes and sign documents with my office ones. At nights, I do cartooning with the "special ones" of my collection.

Regards
    Docendo discimus
    Blog

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information