Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Hey all.

I've got 2 beautiful fountain pens that were given to me, but I don't use them at all.

In my very humble opinion, they are impractical to use, and require higher maintenance when compared to ball point pens.

So in what situation do you fountain pen owners use them? Only for signing large cheques?

WX1

Re: Do you actually use your fountain pen(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E View Post
    Hey all.

I've got 2 beautiful fountain pens that were given to me, but I don't use them at all.

In my very humble opinion, they are impractical to use, and require higher maintenance when compared to ball point pens.

So in what situation do you fountain pen owners use them? Only for signing large cheques?

Yeah, the actual “use” of fountain pens (FPs) is a source of never-ending opinion in my experience:
    • Heck, it’s valid not to use ‘em, DW-5600. Some pen aficionados collect pens to do just that – collect them. The vintage and current stuff shares the same category as “luxury items,” for lack of a better phrase, as watches. I have an identical model of the pen I prefer (more on that later) just sitting in a box in a safe place just for posterity’s sake [!]; more on what that pen is later. Maybe, these aficionados never take ‘em out of the box (me, included), but, still have other fountain pens (FPs) that they use. Maybe they have these “preciouses” in a cabinet in their home for show. And never, ever end up filling ‘em. With relatively little maintenance, the pens can last ‘til the next generation who can do what they will with ‘em (hopefully keep ‘em ‘til they can get a nice price for ‘em, or, heck, use ‘em and brag that they’re using an antique or old-age pen). I guess this is one thing pen aficionados have over the watch people in terms of storage. No auto winder needed, no need to check the gears, no need to worry if you’re doing the right thing by stopping the movement – pen folks don’t need to worry about that. I dunno.
    • At least in my experience, for me, FPs, while required to be maintained (yes, I agree with this) when compared to its ballpoint and rollerball counterparts, among “tool” collectable items (stuff treasured, "grailed," etc., but, actually used, no? And, I don’t think that’s just limited to watches and pens . . . I just can’t think of other examples at this point), the FP seems to be the least of those that need to be "maintained" regularly. Don’t hit me, but, I like FPs over watches (watches come a verrrrry close second, though. I really like writing anyway and, so, if there’s a collectable or “luxury item” that should agree with me the most, I supposed FPs do the trick) and I’m just happy camper happy that I don’t have to take in FPs every five years or so or whenever the thing “stops” because an FP doesn’t really “stop” unless you manage to drop the pen on its nib on hard floor; yeah, I guess that’s the FP’s version of “stopping” all of a sudden and for reasons its owner doesn’t understand. But, at least with an FP, you KNOW what happened basically, from the aforementioned reason to getting a defective nib with your FP (just an example; I’ve personally NEVER heard of that happening). I could be wrong in all of this, so, let the volleys begin.
    • Again, in my experience – once you write with an FP, you never go back (except in the case of writing on your computer, of course. Really. I’ve done grocery lists with FPs. If it’s a good nib, it writes smooth, you can control the width and texture of the lines you write. I seem to have more success in writing longhand then copying to a blank page on a screen via keyboard later, as needed. And, I don’t know any better way to explain it except to say that, it’s really great to use something without worrying about its mini-moving parts stopping on you alla’ sudden or needing to plug the thing in to make it work.
    • Found this out at university, lasting to this day: when reading/studying, I concentrate better using a capped pen to press against the page. Twirling the pen, too, while I read/studied. Honestly, for some reason, made the difference between an A or B. So, here’s one way, at least for me, where a pen is utilizable without being used for its original purpose.
    I like S.T. Dupont’s Orpheo line. Once you write with an FP you never go back and, in my experience, once you write with an S.T. Dupont Orpheo, you prefer that brand over others (again, my opinion). I have three (including the one I just have sleeping nicely). I have one that is my ultimate prized possession (platinum metal; and the fact that me and that pen have been through some harrowing situations, me having to write so much in my profession) that I use. I clean the thing with regular tap water when needed and apply Flitz metal polish to the cap and barrel. And it’s pretty much new every time I clean it that way.

Do a search on one Richard Binder. The FP man. The FP guru in my book. His ‘site has competent info’ on classic pens, some pen history, nib information, filling systems (and some really cool-looking diagrams, not to mention), a glossary (a very competent glossary regarding pens, I might add), and (because you wouldn’t expect anything less from a good number of pen folk) ESSAYS which express the whole passion.

I’m surprised with the many parallels between pens and watches. Difference between preferences among East Asian- and European-based pens, for starters. Preference for some brands. The equivalent to “movements,” though, is quite limited as the fountain pen IS the thing in some pen forums.
    Last edited by WX1; April 11th, 2007 at 03:52.

Quote Originally Posted by DW-5600E View Post
    Hey all.

I have a couple of fountain pens (Montblanc, Pelikan, Stipula) and I find myself using the Montblanc Starwalker on a daily basis. I never did that with the MB 146, Stipula or Pelikan. The thing is, I don't want to carry inkbottles with me all the time, so I chose the Starwalker as a daily 'beater'. It just needs a cartridge and a good cleaning once in a while and that's it. I can live with that.

RJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I use my FP daily, altough nowadays I do typing more than writing. My favourite FP is Pelikan and at home I use Nakaya

At work, I tend to use Lamy Alltars as they have a rigid nib and I do lend them often to customers to sign carbonless copy invoices. At home, i use several different pens, but mostly parker jotters.

-Sean

Absolutely, use mine every day at work.

lar

Namiki Mandarin Vanishing Point and Noodler Bullet Proof Legal Lapis ink. Wouldn't be without the a VP, had it almost 3 years now. VP's do not dry out since you can retract the nib. I attend seminary and take my class notes in a Moleskine with this combo and it can go all day with no problem.

no i wish i did.. if i did id buy myself a Omas 360

Of Course!!!

I carry two fountain pens to work with me every day -- today I had a Sailor and a Parker 51. I am a crossword puzzle fan -- I almost always use a fountain pen.

Hi
    I use my fountain pens daily - for up to 20 hours writing a week. Because my vocation/profession (priest) involves writing sermons, lectures, text-books etc I write several thousand words a week. I use fountain pens for all my writing. I have some very old very rare ones from the 1920's but I use these - rather than keep them in a safe. OInce owned the ultimate vintage pen grail - a mint turquoise Patrician from 1929 - I stuck a sac in it & wrote with it until traded!

I enjoy the weekly exercise of chosing that week's pen, washing the pen out, chosing an ink colour etc - Unlike biros, fountain pens have individual characters. They need treating slightly differently - held differently, at different angles, written with harder/softer pressure etc etc

I love the aesthetics involved with pens - and the deeper sense of connection between my thoughts and the paper that I strangely dont seem to have when I write with biros.

Using vintage pens brings something special - the thought that for 50++ years someone has used this very same pen & written love letters, recorded thoughts in their journals, balanced their finance books, did their home-work etc etc

anyway - just my musings

si
    Last edited by Simon; April 14th, 2007 at 11:30.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information