Fitting a cheap gel refill in my MB ballpoint

Thread: Fitting a cheap gel refill in my MB ballpoint

Fitting a cheap gel refill in my MB ballpoint

I prefer a thick, gel ink, and my favorite is the uni-ball 207 Impact 1.0mm refill. Unfortunately, that refill does not fit my Mont Blanc Starwalker.

I purchased some Monteverde gel refills, and while they write nicely they are just a notch below the uni-balls.

Does anyone know of a solution? Iíd love to get that 207 ink into a refill that fits. And yes, I appreciate the absurdity of owning an overpriced ballpoint that doesnít fit the refills I like, haha. What can I say, itís a sharp pen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Fitting a cheap gel refill in my MB ballpoint

What's the problem exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    What's the problem exactly?
    Out of the box, only the Mont Blanc or Monteverde refills will fit the starwalker. Curious if thereís a mod or some other technique that would make the uniball work

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I also wanted to use gel refill in my MB ballpoint and tried modding various refills - G2, Energel, and Uniball - to no avail. Nothing would fit other than Monteverde Gel refill you've tried already.

For alternatives try googling something like "gel refill compatibility"...there are several sites on the net, often with big online refill suppliers, that provide a cross reference.

Unfortunately, it looks like the responders are correct; MB or Montegrappa only. Which makes me think that Montegrappa is making the pen...or perhaps the refill...for MB.

Whether a different refill will work is gonna be based on shape...thickness, length, length of the shaft vs. the barrel of the refill. MAYBE something will work but probably not.
    Last edited by gangrel; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:47.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I also wanted to use gel refill in my MB ballpoint and tried modding various refills - G2, Energel, and Uniball - to no avail. Nothing would fit other than Monteverde Gel refill you've tried already.
    Alright, at least Iím not alone on this. Itís probably not worth the trouble and mess for the incremental improvement, but I wonder if itís feasible to get ink from the other refill into the Monteverde cartridge. Off to do more research...

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    For alternatives try googling something like "gel refill compatibility"...there are several sites on the net, often with big online refill suppliers, that provide a cross reference.

Unfortunately, it looks like the responders are correct; MB or Montegrappa only. Which makes me think that Montegrappa is making the pen...or perhaps the refill...for MB.

Whether a different refill will work is gonna be based on shape...thickness, length, length of the shaft vs. the barrel of the refill. MAYBE something will work but probably not.
    Appreciate the thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    That's what I meant by "what's the problem exactly". If it's just the length, get a knife and cut the plastic refill down to the proper length. But the 'nose' shapes are different too, so depending on how the internals of the pen tip are shaped the gel refill may bottom out before the tip of the cartridge actually gets through and out the tip of the pen. And if that's the case, you're SOL. If the cartridge will fit through the pen tip, and it's a clicky pen, you'll need a shorter spring too.

I know people take MB rollerball refills and trim just a bit off the plastic endcap and then they'll fit in any pen that takes a Pilot G2 refill, which is the same size/shape as the pictured Uniball refill. But the MB rollerball refills look different than the ballpoint.

That ballpoint refill looks more like a Parker style refill, and there are gel options for those as well...so maybe you could finagle one of them to fit.

And that's pretty much the entirety of my knowledge on MB pens LOL. I never saw the appeal of a pen costing a few hundred bucks that's made of plastic so I never paid them any attention.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 2 Weeks Ago at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    That's what I meant by "what's the problem exactly". If it's just the length, get a knife and cut the plastic refill down to the proper length. But the 'nose' shapes are different too, so depending on how the internals of the pen tip are shaped the gel refill may bottom out before the tip of the cartridge actually gets through and out the tip of the pen. And if that's the case, you're SOL. If the cartridge will fit through the pen tip, and it's a clicky pen, you'll need a shorter spring too.

I know people take MB rollerball refills and trim just a bit off the plastic endcap and then they'll fit in any pen that takes a Pilot G2 refill, which is the same size/shape as the pictured Uniball refill. But the MB rollerball refills look different than the ballpoint.

That ballpoint refill looks more like a Parker style refill, and there are gel options for those as well...so maybe you could finagle one of them to fit.

And that's pretty much the entirety of my knowledge on MB pens LOL. I never saw the appeal of a pen costing a few hundred bucks that's made of plastic so I never paid them any attention.
    Precious resin! Precious resin! Haha, yes it is objectively silly, but I do write a lot for work and enjoy the pen.

Yeah, the issue is the nose shape so trimming it down does nothing.

Thread Information