Inherited vintage fountain pens
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mconlonx
  • 1 Post By gangrel

Thread: Inherited vintage fountain pens

Inherited vintage fountain pens

Mrs-ish mconlonx recently rediscovered these two beauties, which we grabbed while cleaning out her grandmother's house.

Name:  20191127_061432_1574877278438.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  663.4 KB

The one on the left is an Eversharp with lever ink refiller, and on the right is a Parker with some kind of mechanism under the cap on the back end.

I like watches but I am totally out of my league with pens.

Someone tell me I have the equivalent of an OG Rolex GMT Masrer-I here...
    QuartzCrisis likes this.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Re: Inherited vintage fountain pens

Nothing that good but a couple nice pieces.

The Eversharp is a Skyline, in one of the more common configurations...burgundy with GF cap. Nice pen from the 40's, altho not a personal favorite. The shape's a tad odd...and with the GF caps, they don't balance well posted, IMO.

The Parker is a Big Red Duofold from the late 20s, looks like. It's a button filler; press the button, sac gets squeezed a bit, draws in some ink. Takes a fair number of presses to fill.

Both are fairly common, made in significant numbers, but also iconic pens for their day. Both are well worth sending in for a thorough cleaning, almost certain re-sac, and probably a bit of polishing up on the lever box and button filler.
    Simon likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Lovely
    I am huge fan of the Big Red and have used them for years - amazing when you think they are 80+ years old
    Is there any writing on the side still visible? You can put a little powdered chalk/talc on it, blow it off and it will sit in the stamping and make it legible
    does it say Lucky curve? USA? Canada?

I think the Big Red is the equivalent of the Rolex sub - only worth 1/100th the value
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I think the Big Red is the equivalent of the Rolex sub - only worth 1/100th the value
    Wouldn't go that far. If they're in really good shape, they're worth a fair bit...but if mostly worn imprints, they're just very common. Even in period, you're competing against Balances, Waterman 5x and 9x, and the 5 and 7 are around the same period with the colored nibs. Parker nibs are sound but not, IMO, particularly better than, say, Sheaffer or Waterman's non-flex nibs. (Flex nibs...different story, but also different price bracket.)
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Thread Information