Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ? - Page 11
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Used to sell MB pens. Nothing wrong with them, except they are too fragile. Back when they offered fully S.S. models, I'd advise customers to buy those instead of the resin versions. Those are just too thin-walled. If you get a resin MB, just realize it's very delicate and you're horribly overpaying simply for the MB name.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Montblanc is that brand you know before you learn anything about Fountain Pens. Then you get into the hobby and find other offerings you like better and believe Montblanc is overrated. Only with time do you come back to Montblanc and actually appreciate them for what they are. They have excellent, extremely consistent nibs. They offer one of the few factory OB3 nibs still. Their pens have been iconic symbols for so long that the design has been copied by other companies and occasionally surpassed too. The 146 and 149 are excellent pens and are actually reasonably priced in the high end pen market compared to some other brands. If you don't buy pens (or watches) and don't understand the pricing, it seems expensive, just like Rolex.

Difference with Rolex is that watches are complicated machines. Fountain pens aren't. No way is a 149 even remotely worth close to its asking price. You're literally paying for the MB name and the status symbol aspect associated with it. Nothing to do with getting an actual quality writing instrument.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with Momocrom. There is a whole world of Pelikan, Sailor, Montegrappa, so many others that you can experience for 1/2 the cost or less even. Strat there.

When I began collecting pens Mont Blanc was the only European brand I had heard of, then I discovered Omas, Aurora, Montegrappa and Pelikan. I never did buy a Mont Blanc as there were so many other interesting brands available.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Jake View Post
    I agree with Momocrom. There is a whole world of Pelikan, Sailor, Montegrappa, so many others that you can experience for 1/2 the cost or less even. Strat there.
    Have you priced a Pelikan 800/1000 or Sailor King of Pens recently, relative to an MB? List pice on a Montegrappa Nazionale is 1200; Extra 1930 is 1100, just to name 2 models. Not sure what Montegrappa's line structure is at this point. (I did just get a Nazionale Caramel. Pretty pen, nib's decent but not overly flexible by my lights. What it does do nicely is line weight variance, so it's a good nib for an ink like Iroshizuku.)

Mind, there are good buys out there...mostly from Japan right now. But there are 2 aspects you've got to keep separate. #1: compare apples to apples across brands, so compare MB with the other brands' flagships. #2: is the flagship pen really worth its serious premium?

The killer is point 2. Regardless of brand, IMO the answer is No.
    barutanseijin likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I have one, it's a fine pen. I wouldn't pay $400 for one, this was a gift.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Yikes
    I’m used to rollerball model pricing

I had no idea they were that kind of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 14060 View Post
    When I began collecting pens Mont Blanc was the only European brand I had heard of, then I discovered Omas, Aurora, Montegrappa and Pelikan. I never did buy a Mont Blanc as there were so many other interesting brands available.
    It's unfortunate that Omas went out of business awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Have you priced a Pelikan 800/1000 or Sailor King of Pens recently, relative to an MB? List pice on a Montegrappa Nazionale is 1200; Extra 1930 is 1100, just to name 2 models. Not sure what Montegrappa's line structure is at this point. (I did just get a Nazionale Caramel. Pretty pen, nib's decent but not overly flexible by my lights. What it does do nicely is line weight variance, so it's a good nib for an ink like Iroshizuku.)

Mind, there are good buys out there...mostly from Japan right now. But there are 2 aspects you've got to keep separate. #1: compare apples to apples across brands, so compare MB with the other brands' flagships. #2: is the flagship pen really worth its serious premium?

The killer is point 2. Regardless of brand, IMO the answer is No.
    You're forgetting.... Those other brands are sometimes discounted. MBs are rarely so. Bit of patience, knowing where to look, not being too picky about body color, etc. I managed to snag a New In Box Pelikan M1000 for 45% off. Not used. Not a factory 2nd. No blemishes, no issues. Even got the Extra Fine nib I wanted. The catch? Had to order it overseas from a dealer in China. One with an excellent reputation. Had to wait quite a bit for it to arrive. And that deal only applied to the less popular all-black version with gold trim. No green finish on the pen at all.

Not my first Pelikan pen, and I actually use all the fountain pens in my collection. From my free Noodler's eye-dropper only Charlie pen, to my Pilot Maki-e pen. Yes, the latter is a genuine work of Art. (With price-tag to match.) Yes, I actually ink it up and use it.

Unfortunately, the asking-price on MBs is going to be firm. They truly are more fragile than the competition. And if you save money by going used, you risk realistically getting a fake. In some cases, one of the better ones out there.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information