Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ? - Page 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Yes, that is a core problem. MB chooses to maintain an elitist position, so their distribution control is particularly tight. They're not that good. It's tricky, tho, comparing a gray market price to a legit dealer price...altho that still means Pelikans can be had at 20-25% off MSRPs.

Push come to shove, and price aside...MB has an excessive air of pretentiousness; they're bought as status markers. Pelikans are writers.
    Simon and Monocrom like this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I am a long time passionate pen collector - mainly British vintage - Conway Stewart & Parker.

MB 'were' great pens - the vintage 146's & 149's in celluloid are outstanding - I have a couple MB's from the 1940's and they are like new. I think MB made superb pens until the 80's and the move to precious resin.

Today they are overpriced and precious resin is easily shattered (dropped one on soft floor from a few feet and it snapped).
    Their nibs remain top drawer, but their quality IMHO not so, and their price is outrageous.
    Veblen goods. Pelikan blows them out the water - if I only had one pen it would be a Pelikan M800 (600 if smaller hands - though I use the M1000)

Pelikan M800/600 is the Rolex Sub of pens - the M1000 is the Rolex Deepsea
    Last edited by Simon; May 10th, 2019 at 08:03.
    Monocrom likes this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

+1 on the Pelikan 600/800 Line. The real deal top shelf article.
    Monocrom and Simon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's exactly the same story with Pelikan. Pelikan through the mid-1960s were great: durable, attractive pens with expressive nibs. The modern ones are pocket jewlery & status markers, just like Montblancs. Other than looks, they have nothing in common with the vintage Pelikans.

Every single modern Pelikan nib i've had needed extensive tuning and/or grinding to write properly. Once they write, they are merely smooth, with modern blob tipping that produces the same line in any direction. Dull.

The rest of a modrn Pelikan won't be any more robust than MBs. In fact, they're worse. The section trim ring -- whose only function is to add bling -- will corrode. (If yours hasn't yet, just give it time.) And one of my m800 fell apart in my pen case without so much as a bump. Ridiculous. Service from Chartpak? Also ridiculous.

There all sorts of fountain pens i use for "serious writing", from Indian eyedroppers to Lamy Safaris or 2000s to Parker 51s. The Pelikan m800 isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
    It's exactly the same story with Pelikan. Pelikan through the mid-1960s were great: durable, attractive pens with expressive nibs. The modern ones are pocket jewlery & status markers, just like Montblancs. Other than looks, they have nothing in common with the vintage Pelikans.

Every single modern Pelikan nib i've had needed extensive tuning and/or grinding to write properly. Once they write, they are merely smooth, with modern blob tipping that produces the same line in any direction. Dull.

The rest of a modrn Pelikan won't be any more robust than MBs. In fact, they're worse. The section trim ring -- whose only function is to add bling -- will corrode. (If yours hasn't yet, just give it time.) And one of my m800 fell apart in my pen case without so much as a bump. Ridiculous. Service from Chartpak? Also ridiculous.

There all sorts of fountain pens i use for "serious writing", from Indian eyedroppers to Lamy Safaris or 2000s to Parker 51s. The Pelikan m800 isn't one of them.
    Thank you for this
    I have also found many expensive pens underwhelming

I have a LAMY safari and also a 2000 and I keep going back to them

Not familiar with the Parker 51

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post

I have to disagree. I've owned several Pelikan pens over the years, starting in the mid. 1990s, and I just don't see that degradation of quality you've mentioned. Not a single one of my Pelikan fountain pen nibs needed tuning. The only negative thing I can say about them is what others have noticed. That the nibs tend to put down broader lines than they should. My Pelikan M1000 is an Extra Fine, but the line I get is easily a Fine if not awfully close to crossing over to a Medium. other than that, zero issues with the nib. I can live with this well-known quirk of Pelikan pens. There are well-known nib meisters who can grind a nib down to put forth a finer line for those who absolutely can't live with it.

As for that nib on my M1000, sorry; but taking into account my extensive pen collection that includes everything from a free Charlie Fountain Pen that came with a bottle of Noodler's ink to my two gorgeous maki-e pens (one from pilot and one from Platinum).... There is a HUGE difference in how the Pelikan nibs (especially the M1000) perform compared to all the others. no, it's not just smoothness that other pens from other brands are sometimes capable of re-producing.

As far as status symbol goes, no one outside of the pen community has even heard of Pelikan. Literally everyone KNOWS Montblanc. But Pelikan? Not one person part of the general public will even have a clue. So how could it even remotely be a status symbol brand among them? Ask the general public and a few will recognize the name.... confusing it with the hard-shell and foam carrying-case maker called "Pelican" instead.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

[QUOTE=Happy_Jake;48921085]”Thank you for this.
    I have also found many expensive pens underwhelming

I have a LAMY safari and also a 2000 and I keep going back to them

Not familiar with the Parker 51”

You should check out eBay for a Parker 51. I’ve bought three so far this year via eBay at really fair prices; certainly well below what vintage pen traders are asking for. Try one and you may find you love it. I’ve also bought a couple of vintage Pelikan fountain pens so far at a good price.

By the way, the Lamy 2000 fountain pen is indeed a joy to write with.

I have two Montblanc 149 pens, and frankly I don't use them any more. I find them finicky. I got hooked on Japanese fountain pens, specially Pilot Custom 823 and Sailor 1911 Large. Those pens are nothing fancy or "Frou-Frou" but they start right away, even if left unused for a while. They are nice, wet, juicy writers and the quality is excellent for the price.

I see the MB pens to be more of a status symbol, rather than a quality writing instrument. Out of the 10 various brands pens I have, I'd have to pick my favorites as my 2 ST Duponts.

Quote Originally Posted by 53jd View Post
    I see the MB pens to be more of a status symbol, rather than a quality writing instrument. Out of the 10 various brands pens I have, I'd have to pick my favorites as my 2 ST Duponts.
    But that's the thing.... What's the point of having a "status symbol" that doesn't have the quality to go with it? Makes no sense. Here's a pen that lacks quality, costs hundreds of dollars, but it's a status symbol. WTF?!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information