Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ? - Page 4
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Older MBs, from there era when they were writing instruments designed for daily use, are very good pens. Some, such as the mid-60s modernist designs (12, 14, for instance) still represent good value. It's not to hard to purchase an MB, try it, and sell it on if it's not to your taste. As with Rolex, a preowned MB (149, 146) tends to hold its value.

Contemporary pens are slightly inferior to vintage, and tend to be overpriced.

The easiest way to think of montblanc pens are like, "they are the rolex of the pen world". Sure they are pretty great, but there are better options out there, like a patek to a rolex, and a custom urushi pen from japan compared to a montblanc, they are quite good in their own right, but cost quite a bit because of the quality and their perceived status symbol-ness
    -Eberhard and Co Champion chronograph
    -Ebel 1911 classic two tone
    -Cartier Santos Galbee two tone automatic
    -Longines Hydroconquest silver 41mm
    -Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece
    -Tissot 1853 quartz chronograph
    -G-shock G-511
    -Casio Edifice EFA-119
    -Zoppini tonnaeu quartz chronograph

When I want a simple to use pen I choose a Montblanc. I otherwise prefer fountain pens for all other writing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just sent my mother's 1980 MB 146 out for service. For the price of the service I could have had a brand new Lamy 2000. But... when it's not leaking from the collar and grip section, the nib is like butter. It's not my favourite nib, but it's definitely nice. Why spend $150+ on a service? It was my mum's daily user for over 30 years. So just like my grandfather's 1957 Omega Constellation Calendar, it's worth it to me to keep it running.

Besides, for $150 I will have a working vintage MB. Even if I had to send it out 6-7x for repair I wouldn't hit the MSRP for a new one.

That being said I'd just as soon carry a Parker 75 or Pilot Vanishing Point. Or my cheap Cross or a Waterman or...

And that brings me to the next thing. MB pens, (fountain pens, anyway) in my experience, are sort of like Alfa Romeos. They look nice, they're expensive, when they work, they work well, but they also run into more than the average number of problems that you can't fix yourself. (3rd time in 30 yrs this pen has gone for a service - My 60's Parker 75? Never needed any servicing. Ever.)
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

The Montblanc - Rolex comparison is spot on. Neither is THE BEST in their product category to aficionados. But, both are SUPERB in their product category to aficionados. And to the general public, they are considered THE BEST.

I personally LOVE both and have both. Montblanc probably is my favorite "brand." I have a Montblanc wallet, 4 pair of sunglasses, cufflinks, cologne, and this pen ... The Skywalker Mystery Black fineliner. It writes so smoothly. The pen is black lacquer (not resin) with laser etchings and platinum clip/ring/nose. I love it. And, anyone who sees it does too.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1c03.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  2.70 MB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1c08.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  2.42 MB
    RNHC likes this.

I have a Visconti Salvador Dali, not happy about the cartridge converter - doesn’t sit firmly (nib has to be screwed in periodically to help fit), doesn’t aspirate fully. The AD swears it is absolutely normal for Visconti.

My MB145 on the other hand has none of these issues. I stand by the MB quality in this case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fountain pens are a peculiar lot because each individual nib varies. When you get a nib that fits your writing style, there is no comparison, whether the pen be MontBlanc, Pelikan, etc. You really do need to try out the individual pen you wish to purchase to see how it writes for you. Even then, you won't know absolutely for sure, however, I've never had a pen get worse after writing with it; only better.

Quote Originally Posted by BBCDoc View Post
    I have a Visconti Salvador Dali, not happy about the cartridge converter - doesn’t sit firmly (nib has to be screwed in periodically to help fit), doesn’t aspirate fully. The AD swears it is absolutely normal for Visconti.
    Italian pens are like Italian cars - beautiful but has reliability/quality issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
    The Skywalker Mystery Black fineliner. It writes so smoothly. The pen is black lacquer (not resin) with laser etchings and platinum clip/ring/nose. I love it. And, anyone who sees it does too.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1c03.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  2.70 MB
    That is a classic archetype combo like bread and butter. You should post that pic in the Pen & Watch thread.

I think that it is difficult to say Montblanc is like Rolex as that is really too high a praise for MB which does not make pens of the same quality as they did in the past. Rolex on the other hand continually improves their products. You could say the brands are similar in brand recognition but that is really it.
    RNHC likes this.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information