Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ? - Page 6
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I like them fine. I think you took a phrase out of context which may have confused you. Unless your question was rhetorical, in which case, I am confused and you should ignore this response.
    No, that was in response to what you said, that I'd quoted. I read what you said as, they're resting on their laurels and not caring about improvement.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    I read what you said as, they're resting on their laurels and not caring about improvement.
    Almost correct. The implication was that Montblanc feels their pens are good as it is now and do not feel the need for improvement. Not sure if not feeling the need for improvement is same as not caring about improvement. In the end, Montblanc pens are pretty good, perhaps not as good as before but that's arguable, as you've pointed out.

There's probably some truth to that, too. Can a substantially better pen be built? Questionable. Would it be important in their market? Probably not. So they probably don't feel any strong need to improve.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I say this..

technically there are better pens (or any product out there , same concept) but...

if you buy into the prestige, marketing, popularity, status symbol, etc of owning something you always dreamed of (NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS > I DO THIS we are all human)

then buy it.
    Buy one and you will perhaps shake nervously temporarily at the amount you paid, but after a few weeks, you'll forget the small amount of money, and all youre left with is the pure enjoyment of fulfilling one of the curiosities and hopefully , satisfaction, of owning one of your dream items.

Just do it once. It is better than always rolling around in bed frustrated and red-eyed by all the late night internet research trying to find the substitute, but that never fulfills it, and you always end up thinking "well, what if??"
    ivarle42 and RNHC like this.

The best pen ever was the Parker 51. It was made to very tight tolerances -- that collector was not easy to make -- and the aerometric model is almost bullet proof. The 51 is quite ergonomic: not too small, not too big or too thick. One forgets about it -- which is how it should be. However, Parker's other pens were often not as well-made. I wouldn't say Parkers were "the best." Maybe the best advertised.

The best quality over an entire product range came from Sheaffer. For example, the 1970s Targa was a better made pen than those of its competitors. It's similar to the Parker 75, but it is more solidly built. It's also similar to the top line Pilot of the time, the Custom -- also an excellent pen -- but the Targa has nicer nibs. Or take a 1930s Balance or a 1920s flattop. The nibs are very thick, less prone to being thrown out of whack. Even the 1950s Sheaffers with the wacky filling systems have those superb Triumph nibs. And the cheapest Sheaffers like the No Nonsense were still quite functional, even fun.

I suppose that if you consider piston fillers to be "the best", the MB146 might be the best pen. (The 149 is too big in my opinion. And my hands are bigger than yours.) The 146 is a bit sturdier than an OMAS, has better nibs than a Pelikan & _doesn't_ have a stupid bound-to-corrode section trim ring. Auroras are decent, but I prefer MB nibs to Aurora's. The closest competitor is the Lamy 2000 (by far the best pen in terms of value).

That said, the modern pens are a downgrade in many respects. Vintage ebonite feeds give better ink flow than the modern plastic ones. 14k gold was a better alloy for pen nibs than the 18k used today.

Quote Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
    That said, the modern pens are a downgrade in many respects. Vintage ebonite feeds give better ink flow than the modern plastic ones. 14k gold was a better alloy for pen nibs than the 18k used today.
    Is this comparing modern MB 149 to vintage MB 149? No other pen in the Meisterstück lineup gets an 18kt gold nib.

Suspended

I had lots of MB and sold most of them or gave them away and kept only some truly special pens. If you are into fountain pens you will find many companies that produce equally great or even more interesting pens regarding material, filling system, writing characteristics etc. Their regular pens as such aren’t that much better than Sailor, Nakaya, Pilot,… but I’ll grant them at least two things: consistent quality and being the greatest marketing experts.

jar

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Is this comparing modern MB 149 to vintage MB 149? No other pen in the Meisterstück lineup gets an 18kt gold nib.
    Not quite. It often depends on which market the pen will be sold in. In France for example the nibs were almost all 18k since at the time French law required at least 18K to be called gold.

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Not quite. It often depends on which market the pen will be sold in. In France for example the nibs were almost all 18k since at the time French law required at least 18K to be called gold.
    Thus explaining why Waterman uses 18kt gold for their nibs. Thanks!

Montblanc pens are just very well marketed status symbols. They are the Rolex of the pen world, in many ways. In terms of quality, they are good but not the best by any means - I would go for Pilot/Namiki and ST Dupont pens before any Montblanc.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information