Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ? - Page 8
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Alexcm123,

Montblanc pens are a little like Rolex watches: brands which are almost universally recognized as expensive, and as a result, a large proportion of people think they're the best, and the most expensive. That explains why there are so many counterfeit Montblanc pens and Rolex watches.

Like our fellow correspondents said, there are whole worlds beyond Montblanc and Rolex in their own respective areas. I feel sure that a Rolex owner might look down the whole length of his nose at, say, a Lange & Sohn saying it must be a crappy cheap watch because he hasn't heard of the brand, same goes for Montblanc as well. I still remember the time when Montblanc pens were not known to be something at all special and I bought a fair few from a department store when at high school, with my very limited budget! But they sure did a good job building up the brand and now they are no longer a pen builder, but more like a "luxury goods brand" - and got kicked out of at least one department store chain for refusing to sell their pens at their stationary department.

So, to answer your original question: Montblanc pens are now geared towards the collector market; while all of them are decent writers, their cost/performance ratio is not the best. Sure enough if you want the brand, purchase one and be happy with it. But if you want "the best" in quality and willing to pay (where the sky is the limit) there are options, and in case you want comparable or better performance regardless of the label, there are options as well.

Hope this is of some help.
    I too would equate MB to Rolex, but would disagree with your assessment from there.

Sure, the uninitiated may hold the sentiments you describe, but that won't change the fact that both Rolex and Montblanc are truly workhorses. The two companies have established themselves as the pinnacle through both marketing and through performance. There are certainly 'better' brands, though, like rolex, you can purchase a montblanc and know that the pen will perform exceptionally well for a lifetime.

Purely anecdotal but my daily user, a meisterstruck 146, replaced my Nakaya....
    Jull likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    I am not saying 18k is an advantage. All I am suggesting is that you don't pick a nib based on what carat gold it is. I have had modern 14kt and 18kt gold nibs of the same size and made on the same machine from both Pilot and Montblanc and I can tell you there is no real difference in the way they write.
    That depends on what you're looking for. 14k is better for flex...which is not the same as soft. But there are very few true flex nibs in current production.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I've never seen a modern flex nib. Whatever the alloy was, nobody is using it anymore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omas. Special edition only. Aurora 88 70th anniversary limited edition from last year...seriously considered one, but they're not cheap.

They're few and far between, but that's been true since probably the 30's, honestly, for US production. Maybe 40's. Sheaffer *rarely* did them even 100 years ago. Don't think Parker did many either, even in the original Duofolds, and by the Vac...yes, they were available but uncommon. Waterman and Eversharp still did them. Pretty sure Japan and Europe had them; NOT sure the frequency. Cuz flex nibs are a pain for most, and a pain for the manufacturer. They're much less durable, and therefore prone to catastrophic failure. Overflex? Press too hard? Spring the nib. Over time, there's metal fatigue...literally crack it.

https://www.vintagepens.com/FAQbasics/18Kvs14K.shtml

The problem is, gold is wonderfully malleable and ductile...but not elastic. You can increase that with treatments...it's just easier and somewhat more effective to do this with 14k. Obviously, the higher the gold content means you're starting from a worse position.

But yes, with virtually all modern nibs, it doesn't really matter. On the flip side? 18k also gives no real advantages, but it does cost more.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I've seen writing samples of the Aurora 88 70th anniversary edition and if you think that is a flex nib then we have different definitions.

I will grant you that 14kt is probably superior for a really springy flex nib but again, modern nibs are not flexible.

The best 149 nib that I have ever used (and I have used a lot) was an 18c nib from the 50s. These were the most flexible nibs that Montblanc ever put on the 149...they aren't "flex" nibs but they were springier than pretty much everything that Montblanc produced after them.

Again, you shouldn't pick a modern pen based on the type of gold the nib uses. Maybe avoid French and French market pens if you want vintage pens and don't like soft nibs. I have had a couple of Bayards from the 30s and 40s with 18kt nibs and I didn't like any of them.

Nothing wrong with Montblanc

I think they are very recognizable by a lot of people, have a lot of heritage and are good. However I would not necessarily say their are the best - this is very subjective from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Moerdn View Post
    I think they are very recognizable by a lot of people, have a lot of heritage and are good. However I would not necessarily say their are the best - this is very subjective from my point of view.
    No pen is "the best".
    ganagati likes this.

Banned

Like most lux goods, it’s entirely subjective. No different than best car, best watch, etc.

Montblanc makes great pens. Some more so for real enthusiasts, some are just standard luxury fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Although I do like Montblanc pens, they are not necessarily the best. There are so many great fountain pen companies such as Pelikan, Sailors, Pilot, OMAS, Stipula etc.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My watch collection: Montblanc 4810 Day Date, Tissot Carson Powermatic 80
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information