Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ? - Page 9
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Are Mont Blanc pens everything people say they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesy87 View Post
    Although I do like Montblanc pens, they are not necessarily the best. There are so many great fountain pen companies such as Pelikan, Sailors, Pilot, OMAS, Stipula etc.
    No, but they are also not as evil as some people claim.

And Italian pen companies can still learn a few things from Montblanc's customer service, in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    GrouchoM likes this.

Echoing what others have said - MB is great for recognition, well built, and feel great in (my) hand. I've also had excellent experiences with Waterman, for comparably less cash.

Alternatively, if you like German classic pens, then I would also recommend Pelikan. The M800 is no lesser pen than the MB149, in my opinion.

TBSDSpaniard likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jthole View Post
    Alternatively, if you like German classic pens, then I would also recommend Pelikan. The M800 is no lesser pen than the MB149, in my opinion.

Pelikan doesn't offer as many nib options as Montblanc. The 149 nib is softer than the M800 and M1000 nibs I have used. The M800 is probably more comparable to the MB 146 as it is not cartoon sized like the 149.
    barutanseijin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivarama View Post
    The M800 is probably more comparable to the MB 146 as it is not cartoon sized like the 149.
    Make it the M1000 then. And especially vintage Pelikan nibs are very good, in my opinion. Vintage MB nibs as well, by the way.

I myself prefer Pelikan and Monteverde fountain pens. However MB in my opinion are well built and their refills for the ballpoints are the best for me. Value? Well to most that is subjective just as are taste in watches. Everyone can tend to be brand loyal or snobbish to "inferior" brands. I know Rolex guys that hate Omegas and vice versa. Forget trying to convince them if off brands or whatever they think to be lesser brands. I believe in the if you like it wear it/buy it. Were it gets ridiculous is when the "collecting" becomes just accumulation and not appreciation. All the MB pens I have, I use and have scratches and dents and are probably not worth even selling on eBay. But I plan to keep them and use them until the stop functioning or they get lost or stolen.
    jthole likes this.

I should update this I suppose. I made an effort to write with the 146 on a daily basis - I am rehabbing my knee post-acl surgery so am keeping a journal and notes. Miracle of miracles, the nib has worn in. It's picky about paper (Rhodia/Clairefontaine or Quo Vadis only) but it runs well now. Still has a very narrow sweet spot when compared to my Pilots, Parkers, Lamys and Sheaffers, but you get used to it. I still wouldn't pay 585 euros for one new, I don't think.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I am going to second what everyone is saying - modern Montblanc pens are excellent but overpriced for what they are, just like Rolex watches.
    By definition, something is "worth" what someone else is willing to pay. Therefore, as long as they sell, neither Rolex nor Mont Blanc are overpriced. You just don't value what those brands provide as much as others willing to pay more for their combination of quality, design, name, and service.

Of course value is subjective, but forum is a place to share opinions. If we will all be objective we can close this forum, because there is nothing to discuss.

I thought this is known to every forum user.

Have a gander at this new Purdey & Sons to decide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information