Watch and Fountain Pen analogues
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By clarosec
  • 1 Post By gangrel
  • 2 Post By MysteryBiscuits
  • 1 Post By agentdaffy007

Thread: Watch and Fountain Pen analogues

Watch and Fountain Pen analogues

I've seen this sorta discussed in off-topic fashion in other threads, so figured it'd be a good exercise to centralize it here and discuss. Exercise: name a watch brand and its fountain pen analogue and provide a rationale as for why. No right or wrongs here (aside from mistakes in fact). if anything, it might be useful for newcomers too.

WATCH><PEN : Rationale

ROLEX><MONTBLANC: the most well known / cited brand for their respective luxury categories

SEIKO><PILOT: both Japanese (obviously), have reliable quality products in a large range of prices (from super affordable to high end, i.e., Grand Seiko><Namiki), in-house movements/nibs
    CITIZEN><SAILOR: again, both Japanese but neither not nearly as ubiquitous as SEIKO/PILOT at price tiers nor offerings though both have products in the very affordable to the high end range; in-house movements/nibs (and proprietary converter..grr).
    ORIENT><PLATINUM: you guessed it, both Japanese. Reasons similar to CITIZEN><SAILOR, but my thoughts for this comparison is that ORIENT & PLATINUM are lesser known by the general public than SEIKO, CITIZEN, PILOT and SAILOR

NOMOS><PELIKAN: both German and reliable quality products. neither has anything in their relative, very affordable price range, but start around entry luxury tier for their respective industry to the higher end, both use in-house movements/nibs (and pistons) [though, NOMOS pens are produced by KAWECO]
    LACO><KAWECO: both german, offer products at range of price points and many variations in styles (considered STOWA, but LACO is more equivalent in aesthetic diversity to KAWECO than STOWA).

TIMEX><CONKLIN: storied American companies that offer affordable products for everyone. both can be found in retail stores not specializing in watches/pens (TIMEX..well, most anywhere, CONKLIN in office supplies stores like Office Max and Staples). both endorsed by Mark Twain

There are a bunch more I missed, but that's enough for now. I'd be interested to read others' comparisons. What of, say, DANITRIO, VISCONTI, LAMY, PARKER, SHEAFFER, TWSBI?
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Islander Watch - Modded Diver | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger | Swatch​ - Hodinkee Sistem 51 Blue

Re: Watch and Fountain Pen analogues

Oooh... this could be fun.

LONGINES><S.T. DUPONT: Bogey wore Longines. Bogey had an S.T. Dupont lighter. Would he have had a Dupont pen? I'd like to think he did (other options here = other French watch brands - Breguet, Cartier, Yema, etc.)

BREGUET>< J. HERBIN: Both French, both classic, and the Herbin glass dip pens really evoke the same kind of style to me.

SINN/LACO/PORSCHE DESIGN><LAMY: Same deal. German watch, German pen! But Lamy is always function forward, even with the Lamy 2000. You're not going to use a Lamy if you're wearing A. Lange & Söhne. You use a Lamy if you're wearing a German tool watch. I put porsche in there because they share the same sort of forward-thinking design aesthetic.

OMEGA><PARKER 75 OR SHEAFFER IMPERIAL TOUCHDOWN: I have a Speedy and a '57 Constellation calendar. I also have a Parker 75 and Sheaffer Imperial. My Connie is steel with white dial and gold indices. Great with a silver ciselé pen and a gold nib. The Speedy is the moonwatch. It looks nice with an American silver pen too!
    yongsoo1982 likes this.
    2019 Tudor Black Bay GMT / 2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Orient Kamasu (F6922) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Sheaffer...these days? I'd link them to Lucien Piccard, Ingersoll, or the like. The brand is a shell of itself.

Parker...Eterna. Some good stuff still there, AFAIK, but my sense is...struggling to stay afloat.

DaniTrio...perhaps Hublot, perhaps Franck Muller. Unusual, somewhat polarizing.

Visconti and Stipula...both brands have a rep for less than stellar QC, IIRC. Nice use of materials. Mid to high level. Can't come up with a similar watch brand....

TWSBI is Tissot.
    yongsoo1982 likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clarosec View Post
    LONGINES><S.T. DUPONT: Bogey wore Longines. Bogey had an S.T. Dupont lighter. Would he have had a Dupont pen? I'd like to think he did (other options here = other French watch brands - Breguet, Cartier, Yema, etc.)
    and learned something already. that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by clarosec View Post
    SINN/LACO/PORSCHE DESIGN><LAMY: Same deal. German watch, German pen! But Lamy is always function forward, even with the Lamy 2000. You're not going to use a Lamy if you're wearing A. Lange & Söhne. You use a Lamy if you're wearing a German tool watch. I put porsche in there because they share the same sort of forward-thinking design aesthetic.
    Agreed! LAMY is all about function and def agree with SINN and LACO up there.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Sheaffer...these days? I'd link them to Lucien Piccard, Ingersoll, or the like. The brand is a shell of itself.
    Yep, this is actually where I was thinking of landing as well. Similarly, I was trying to think of a Pen analogue for WALTHAM as well, that has had a national change in ownership.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Islander Watch - Modded Diver | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger | Swatch​ - Hodinkee Sistem 51 Blue

Waltham...my understanding of them would be, solid everyday brand in its heyday. Died, somewhat reborn but you really need to be looking to find any references to it. In pens? Eversharp. Yes, it's also been restarted, by Syd Saperstein, a well-respected collector of vintage Wahl-Eversharp. Still American, but I don't think that's as significant as the paths each company took. Both were restarted by people completely outside the brand's history, BUT with an interest in the field...as opposed to, say, those where a Chinese factory bought the name, and are just using it to tell a rather questionable story.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

NOMOS><LAMY: Bauhaus meets Bauhaus. (If you want to get even closer to the pedigree, a Braun watch perhaps?)
    clarosec and barutanseijin like this.
    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." - Albert Camus

Omega and St Dupont. Because 007 uses them.
    fgarian likes this.

Sailor pens have what consider the best nibs being made. If you want to say that the nib is analgous to a watch's movement, then the best approximation to Sailor would be something like JLC.

Omega & St.Dupont for the win.

Thread Information