Waterman pens
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marklv

Thread: Waterman pens

Waterman pens

Hi all

I know this is a very broad question but what is your opinion of the Waterman company in terms of their product range and quality?

I recently bought my first Waterman pen. It's a black Carene ballpoint. I use it at work and bought it to replace a Lamy studio piano black which I recently lost. So far I think it's great quality at a reasonable price. Bought it at about 40% off the retail price. I have a few great fountain pens and have generally been a fan of Parker pens, particularly the UK made duofolds. Am I correct in thinking that Waterman pens are made in a similar if not the same French factory as some of the Parker pens?

Cheers

Peter

jar

Re: Waterman pens

Waterman and Parker are owned by the same company.

I believe Waterman and Parker might be viewed as subsidiaries of the same company. As for the pens, I own three Parkers and two Waterman fountain pens. The Parkers are all vintage (a Parker 51 and a pair of Parker Vacumatic pieces) while the Waterman pens are new (an Edson and a Carene). The Parker pens write beautifully and smoothly and might be my three favorites to use, while both Waterman pens remind me of writing with a nail dipped in ink. That is simply my opinion and experience.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Keep in mind that there are also two Watermans to pen collectors. Waterman was originally an American brand that was highly successful in the 1920's and had divisions all over the world. They made high quality eyedropper and lever filled ebonite pens, of which you can still find 100 year old examples. When the great depression hit, every division of the company went out of business except the one in France, which eventually grew into the company you see today.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez83 View Post
    Hi all

I know this is a very broad question but what is your opinion of the Waterman company in terms of their product range and quality?

I recently bought my first Waterman pen. It's a black Carene ballpoint. I use it at work and bought it to replace a Lamy studio piano black which I recently lost. So far I think it's great quality at a reasonable price. Bought it at about 40% off the retail price. I have a few great fountain pens and have generally been a fan of Parker pens, particularly the UK made duofolds. Am I correct in thinking that Waterman pens are made in a similar if not the same French factory as some of the Parker pens?

Cheers

Peter

Excellent pens with a long heritage. Unfortunately in recent years the range has narrowed but I have an Edson which is around 15 years old and writes like a dream and also a Man 100 Patrician from the 1990s which is just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by tsbphd View Post
    I believe Waterman and Parker might be viewed as subsidiaries of the same company. As for the pens, I own three Parkers and two Waterman fountain pens. The Parkers are all vintage (a Parker 51 and a pair of Parker Vacumatic pieces) while the Waterman pens are new (an Edson and a Carene). The Parker pens write beautifully and smoothly and might be my three favorites to use, while both Waterman pens remind me of writing with a nail dipped in ink. That is simply my opinion and experience.
    It's true that Watermans have a reputation for very stiff nibs but that's not necessarily a bad thing - not everyone likes flexible nibs.
    GrouchoM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marklv View Post
    It's true that Watermans have a reputation for very stiff nibs but that's not necessarily a bad thing - not everyone likes flexible nibs.
    They do NOW.

Waterman probably had as good a range of flex nibs, of high quality, as anyone, from the turn of the 20th century through even the 100 Year pens...which were the last dance for them, as a major player. They'd already faded by the time ballpoints delivered the crushing blow that more or less crushed the entire American production.

For the last 20 or so years, IMO there's nothing interesting from Waterman. To be sure: a lot of this is disappointment...because the 20's and 30's Watermans, the 92 and 94, the 5 and 7...they're something special. The 100 Years...save the nibs! Package them into something that won't fall apart. (That was the issue: failure to cure the cellulose adequately, leading to it literally falling apart. Wahl Eversharp had the same issue with the Dorics.) The modern ones are smooth, to be sure, but DULL. Many are also lacquer over brass, which for me is just too heavy. There are better, more interesting pens for less, so...IMO, why Waterman?
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

I like Waterman pens, and I also like heavy pens and stiff nibs!

Thread Information