You got your new fountain pen and you take it out for a test ride - print or cursive?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: You got your new fountain pen and you take it out for a test ride - print or cursive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

You got your new fountain pen and you take it out for a test ride - print or cursive?

Do you "print" or do you use "cursive" writing. And a related question is - how many pen lovers on this board know cursive writing?

It was fairly recently that I learned that cursive witting isn't even taught in US schools anymore! I guess I'm showing my age. To me "writing" and "cursive writing" mean the same thing.

But back to the original question - does it even make sense to use a nice fountain pen to "print" a note? I enjoy imagining the ink in the pen evenly flow out as I "write" (that is cursive). To print, I'd rather us a ball point.

What is the thinking on this question?
    Last edited by watch22; April 24th, 2019 at 07:33.

Re: You got your new fountain pen and you take it out for a test ride - print or cursive?

Cursive is florid, with all the loops, and it's hard to write either quickly or well. It's dying for good reason. And actually, the loops work better with a pencil or ballpoint.

My basic style is cursive italic, but my writing's terrible. :)
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Re: You got your new fountain pen and you take it out for a test ride - print or cursive?

It matters not, writing or printing, but the pleasure you get using the pen.....
    Nokie likes this.
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cursive for me.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Printing, as I hate to punish a good pen and paper with my terrible cursive expertise.......
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Interesting range of replies.

Myself, I've found that my cursive writing with a fountain pen is not so great. Seems I've been typing on a keyboard too long. I'm working to improve it.

I've been practicing though I'm not sure who will be the recipient of my well formed missive.

Who writes letters these days? To whom?

In the meantime - my short term goal is to be able to read my own writing

Cursive is a better nib test. You'll detect skipping or other issues right away. That is another thing.
    2018 Omega Speedmaster Professional (calibre 1861) / 1957 Omega Constellation calendar (calibre 504) / 70's-80's Omega Seamaster De Ville Quartz (calibre 1342) / Orient Star Seeker (40P51) / Citizen Aqualand Duplex (C506) / Orient Journeyman (46K40)/ Seagull 1963 chrono 42mm (ST19) / Stuhrling Canterbury (ST-90050) / Casio AW 300 Yacht Timer / Seiko Ana-Digi (H-556) / Seiko SKX007 (7s26) / Invicta Pro Diver 8928OB (NH35A)

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Cursive is florid, with all the loops, and it's hard to write either quickly or well. It's dying for good reason. And actually, the loops work better with a pencil or ballpoint.

My basic style is cursive italic, but my writing's terrible. :)
    Interesting that you say it's hard to write quickly. One of its functions is to be quicker, because you're not constantly lifting and moving the pen. You move in one continuous line, with the occasional interruption to cross a t or dot an i.
    clarosec likes this.
    Casio / C.Ward / Grand Seiko / Hamilton / Junghans / Laco / Nomos / Omega / Panerai / Rolex / Sinn / Timex / Tudor

I learned cursive in school (I'm 50) and I still use it for personal writing. At work I take lots of notes, so printing it is. My fountain pens make the printing easier on my knuckles after a long session.

I test and use both styles.

If there are any typos in this post, I blame Tapatalk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information