100m waterproof leather???

Thread: 100m waterproof leather???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100m waterproof leather???

What exactly does this mean? What happens to a leather strap that says it is waterproof to 100 meters if it ever goes below that depth? I always thought that leather was either able to withstand getting wet or it wasn't. I had no idea depth had anything to do with it.

vandice

Re: 100m waterproof leather???

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    What exactly does this mean? What happens to a leather strap that says it is waterproof to 100 meters if it ever goes below that depth? I always thought that leather was either able to withstand getting wet or it wasn't. I had no idea depth had anything to do with it.
    Is there such a rating? That'll make one interesting link if you have one to share.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. I don't know of a serious dive watch that's leather strapped. I seriously doubt the durability, specially treated or not.

Maybe you have to factor in the time it take to go 100m below and come back up again.
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It may be water proof straight off the shelf, but after a fer weeks wear i would put money on it no longer being so and taking up water. Leather is after all a natural product.
    What ever they use to impregnate it will not last for long as it continually expands and contracts, sweat and water will affect it in time and get in there as well.

My leather straps last the longest if i stick to two rules. One, never shower with them on and, Two, never wear if i'm in a hot sweaty climate.

Waterproof strap suitable for diving....bah. Unless you are willing to replace on a regular basis. Get a 'Waterborne' or 'Zulu' instead.

Heres a link to where I saw it.

http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb...op/JumboWR.htm

I don't dive at all, so I would never need a feature like this. It just made me curious.

Interesting, doesn't kodiak strap supplied with Anonimo watch waterproof (salt water) as well??
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

I've got one that is impregnated with silicone or something similar. I think they use a special process for some of these, kinda like stabilizing wood and once it's done that's it. It changes the quality and feel of the leather though.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

from Anonimos web site
    The Kodiak Process:

Leather is rarely resistant to water, particularly when the salt content is considerable. Current waterproofing treatments reduce leather porosity and compromise the transpiration properties. The exclusive Anonimo Kodiak Process allows leather to maintain unchanged its features of porosity and transpiration whilst allowing our straps to be worn in water without damaging the leather. It does not make the leather simply water-repellent but allows hydrols to pass through even after a long lasting immersion affording our straps a positive experience when worn in water.

I have no idea what this really means but they are very comfortable to wear
    EDS

Here's another one:

Di-Modell
    "Chronissimo Waterproof"

from Di-Modell's "Deluxe Collection"
    A perfect watch strap for any pilot's watch, chronograph, or sports watch.

Made by Di-Model in Germany, the Chronissimo is made of a matt black calfskin specially tanned and crafted to be waterproof to 100 meters. Available only in black with white contrasting stitching.

Di-Model's motto is "perfection in detail" and this watch strap exemplifies that motto.

Please note that the "Chronissimo Waterproof" can't be used with a deployant clasp because of it's unique construction with the flap under the buckle.

See it here: http://www.mywatchmaker.net/watchstr...atchstraps.htm

I have Di-Modell chronissimo strap. I have it for about a year and wear it on my Seiko Sumo. I don't dive, but I do swim with it regularly. It wears really well, it is still in about 80% of its original look, but functionality is at the same level as new one. Perfect strap for someone who wants leather on a diver watch.
    Oh, and BTW I live in tropics, which means a lot of sweat and this strap just does not get soaked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information