19 mm strap, better looking with 18 mm or 16 mm buckle?

Thread: 19 mm strap, better looking with 18 mm or 16 mm buckle?

19 mm strap, better looking with 18 mm or 16 mm buckle?

Hi!

I'm thinking of ordering this watch...

Name:  IMG_3096.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  126.2 KB

...with the specific intention of putting it on a natural cork watch strap like this (the lighter one on the right)...

Name:  a82fac_404533dbd52e4ab2df59e357bbee5f9c.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  a82fac_33ff772313ef6f89352ece211a55dd17.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  43.0 KB

I think the watch has a 19 mm lug width, but will probably only be able to confirm that once/if I order and receive it.

The strap would be made to order, so I'd have the choise of 18 mm or 16 mm buckle width, resulting in hardly noticeable strap taper or significant strap taper. The watch is light-weight and pretty small at around 35 mm.

Which buckle width would you choose and why?

I will very much appreciate all input, comments and suggestions - thank you in advance!

Just to give an idea of what a strap like that looks like on a white-dialed vintage watch, I'll attach two very nice pictures (of extremely nice watches) purloined from the Internet.

Name:  iYaYS0Y.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  377.4 KB

Name:  usy5yzyz.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  206.1 KB
    In almost daily use since 1999: Revue Thommen Airspeed Automatic type 6110005.
    Occational summertime watch: Seiko 5 type SNK803.
    Impulse buy: Shanghai "ShangTiki" ("8120 reissue", according to Shanghai).
    Watch chosen specifically to go with a cork strap: Shanghai mechanical.
    Dress watch: ~1980 Citizen mechanical 21 jewels, unknown type.
    Downdressed watch, too large to be really dressy: Orient Symphony type ER27007W on various casual straps.
    A couple of plastic Casio watches for field-use at worksites.
    And some older Quartz watches - practically never used...

Re: 19 mm strap, better looking with 18 mm or 16 mm buckle?

For a 35mm watch, I'd go with the 16mm buckle to keep it in proportion. I have an Accurist Clerkenwell with champagne dial on a 20/16 strap and it looks great.

The standard Rolex size was about 16mm and pretty comfortable for a 36mm watch, if that helps. I've got both sizes for 20mm straps, and both work well. For a lighter look and lighter watch, 16 is a good choice. I usually prefer to get 18's because I have several watches and lots of straps and standardizing buckles and deployants is helpful. The difference is small, but 20x18 straps can cover a much wider range of looks, from thick and sporty to slim and dressy. 20x16 straps will more often be a bit dressier and lighter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally I think it depends more on you. Slc has some great advice, but I will just add this. Your wrist size matters too. If you are like me and have a large wrist a strap that tapes to 16 mm literally looks like you are wearing a children's size strap, especially if it is a fast taper that starts closer to the lugs than the buckle. I never go below 18 simply because anything smaller just looks wrong on my wrist.

Thank you all for the replies!

I ordered the watch yesterday, but it will be some weeks until I get it. Because the cost of the strap is of the same magnitude as the cost of the watch, I'll wear and test it for a few days before ordering the strap, so I won't be able to post pictures of the combo for a while...

Regarding the size, I'm still torn. The only strap I have with a 16 mm buckle 18 mm, but fitted to a watch with just over 17 mm lug width, and the buckle is pretty narrow - might look even more narrow on a 19 mm strap?
    On the other hand, despite the cork strap being quite casual (can't be considered dressy at all, actually) I have a feeling that a clear taper might look better than pretty uniform width. I guess I have to see the watch in person in order to decide.

My wrist size is a slim 6.5", which will impact the look of the combo, as Karkarov pointed out.
    In almost daily use since 1999: Revue Thommen Airspeed Automatic type 6110005.
    Occational summertime watch: Seiko 5 type SNK803.
    Impulse buy: Shanghai "ShangTiki" ("8120 reissue", according to Shanghai).
    Watch chosen specifically to go with a cork strap: Shanghai mechanical.
    Dress watch: ~1980 Citizen mechanical 21 jewels, unknown type.
    Downdressed watch, too large to be really dressy: Orient Symphony type ER27007W on various casual straps.
    A couple of plastic Casio watches for field-use at worksites.
    And some older Quartz watches - practically never used...

I own a 34mm vintage watch with 19mm lugs and I bought a strap that tapers to 16mm. I was initially concerned that it might appear too thin, but I've gotten used to it and it really is the correct proportion for the watch.

Thread Information