• 1 Post By leastonh
  • 1 Post By Chronopolis
  • 1 Post By leastonh
  • 1 Post By leastonh

Thread: AliX 'Military Parachute Nylon Fabric Watchband' review

Thumbs Up AliX 'Military Parachute Nylon Fabric Watchband' review

EDIT:

Hi all,

I cannot really get on with NATO straps and was on the lookout for an elasticated strap with bronze-like hardware for a San Martin bronze diver. After seeing a link in f71, I bought this one with high expectations.

The pics at the bottom of the post below cannot be deleted and so I'll leave them here as a reminder of how NOT to try and wear this strap. The first three pics are new and show the correct way to fit and wear it. I have been quite rightly corrected about the way I was doing so and I'm really glad for that.

The hardware matches the colour of my bronze and brass cased watches well. The buckles are not finished well on the edges and quite sharp. This isn't an issue if you wear the strap correctly because they don't touch the skin anyway. Unlike a few of the cheap straps I have bought online the metal of the buckles is not easily bent with my fingers (I have one I managed to snap just trying to fasten it because the metal was so soft!) and I had to use pliers to slightly bend the end hook to narrow it.

So, here it is fitted to my San Martin and how it's supposed to be worn. Much better and very comfortable.
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  444.6 KB
    Name:  07.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  439.3 KB
    Name:  08.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  321.5 KB

For the record, the seller packaged the strap well, included spring bars and a removal tool and delivered quickly. Here's the AliX link:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000117885242.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.177b4c4di LVyCp

Here are the 'before' pics...as in 'before' I was educated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by leastonh; February 4th, 2020 at 15:09. Reason: Because I'm an idiot :-)
    ohhenry1 and drwindsurf like this.

Sponsor

Re: AliX 'Military Parachute Nylon Fabric Watchband' review

There is no substitute for the original and best, Erika's Original

Name:  erika-mn-chestnut-p8.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  962.3 KB
    " Started as a hobby.....but is now clearly a WatchObsession and the day job !!"

http://www.WatchObsession.co.uk

Official Stockist of straps from many brands including

HIRSCH, DI-MODELL, RIOS1931, JPM, CRAFTER BLUE, ZEALANDE, ERIKA's ORIGINALS, ISOFRANE and more

It seems like you are using an alternate way of wearing the strap? Do you think the metal on skin will be less irritating to you if you wore it as recommended on Erika's site? Your wrist goes through a loop of the fabric first.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    ohhenry1 and leastonh like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the comments. As with gormless (the commenter above me), I'm not sure that you're wearing the strap correctly. I happen to be wearing an elastic paratrooper style strap right now, and looking at mine vs. yours, the set up is very different. I'm not sure if that's because the inherent design of your strap vs. mine is different, or if we're just using different methods, but at least on mine, the hook does not touch skin at all. Instead, it touches the bottom layer of fabric. So it's very comfortable. Likewise, the smaller piece of hardware, the way it wears on mine, does not touch the skin at all. I think you should get to the bottom of whether you're wearing it correctly, or if this particular strap that you have truly only can be worn in the manner that you have demonstrated. I'd suggest you find a YouTube tutorial on how to set up a Marine Nationale strap, and see if you can set your strap up in the same way.
    leastonh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhenry1 View Post
    Thanks for the comments. As with gormless (the commenter above me), I'm not sure that you're wearing the strap correctly. I happen to be wearing an elastic paratrooper style strap right now, and looking at mine vs. yours, the set up is very different. I'm not sure if that's because the inherent design of your strap vs. mine is different, or if we're just using different methods, but at least on mine, the hook does not touch skin at all. Instead, it touches the bottom layer of fabric. So it's very comfortable. Likewise, the smaller piece of hardware, the way it wears on mine, does not touch the skin at all. I think you should get to the bottom of whether you're wearing it correctly, or if this particular strap that you have truly only can be worn in the manner that you have demonstrated. I'd suggest you find a YouTube tutorial on how to set up a Marine Nationale strap, and see if you can set your strap up in the same way.
    Hey. I followed the video on Erika's site. You put your hand through the loop. I'm sure there are many ways of wearing the strap and neither can be known as "correct"? Could be worthwhile for you to try different ways of wearing the strap to see which is most comfortable for you?

https://erikasoriginals.com/tutorial/mn-tutorial.php

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    leastonh likes this.

Wow, what a noob (and other words I can't print!)! Yes, I was wearing it the 'alternate' (wrong) way and yes, after watching the vid I now realise it's my fault. So, review rewrite is coming soon....!!!

Thank you guys, that's my lesson learned for today
    ohhenry1 likes this.

It seem to me that the hook could be a bit flatter anyway.
    Why not put it in a vise and give it a squeeze?
    leastonh likes this.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    It seem to me that the hook could be a bit flatter anyway.
    Why not put it in a vise and give it a squeeze?
    Yes, you're right. Now that I know how to fasten it properly, I have flattened it
    Chronopolis likes this.

No plain black or plain grey option from this seller it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by DomAndra View Post
    No plain black or plain grey option from this seller it seems.
    Try this for black:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53

And grey here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_53
    DomAndra likes this.

Thread Information