Anyone else not like leather that's made to look like something else?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By constant change
  • 2 Post By Nokie
  • 2 Post By ripi

Thread: Anyone else not like leather that's made to look like something else?

Anyone else not like leather that's made to look like something else?

Am I the only one who doesn't like leather that's made to look like croc, gator, ostrich, etc.? If I can't afford, or am not willing to pay for croc, gator, ostrich, etc. I'll stick with plain leather. Ideally, I'd rather not use animal skin of any kind, but dressy watches just don't look right on nylon or canvas. If I think about it too much it is kind of creepy to have dead animal skin around my wrist, on my feet , or worn as gloves or a jacket. Don't get me wrong, I have croc, leather, and ostrich - I just have to try not to think of it as dead animal skin!
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Banned

Re: Anyone else not like leather that's made to look like something else?

Generally I feel the same way about leather made to look like exotic skins. But I will say Strapsmith makes a croc pattern embossed leather in brown/black tones that looks pretty nice. As for the "creepy" factor, keep in mind that the tanning process is quite extensive; it's not like the hide is shorn from the animal then just cut into straps or shoes or whatever.

I am just the opposite. I would rather have a print than the real deal on my wrist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor

It is a matter of consumer demand and some people prefer to have a leather ( a by product of the meat industry ) strap with an embossed gator or croc print applied than the real deal made from a farmed animal in many instances and in some instances an animal that has been caught in the wild, this has probably been raised on here many times.

There are those that want genuine skin but can't afford or justify the cost and the leather embossed is a cheaper alternative, as in most aspects of life, there are products that suit all minds and all pockets.
    " Started as a hobby.....but is now clearly a WatchObsession and the day job !!"

http://www.WatchObsession.co.uk

Official Stockist of straps from many brands including

HIRSCH, DI-MODELL, RIOS1931, JPM, CRAFTER BLUE, ZEALANDE, ERIKA's ORIGINALS, ISOFRANE and more

To each his own. Some of the printed/textured looking straps are almost indistinguishable from their real exotic counterparts.
    WatchObsession and Deledda like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I can relate to that kind of thinking - not wanting to show something that isn't. I'm looking for a leather strap and avoiding the croc patterns, although you could argue that it's just a pattern, like any other

It doesn't bug me on anyone else, just for me. Maybe, being an animal lover, I should find out if the exotics are killed just for their skin or if they are eaten. I know ostrich meat is good, and I've tried gator, but I'm not sure what they're farmed for. That might change my opinion!

Blech. Can't stand "embossed" anything really. You can't beat a nice real exotic strap. Emboss(y)ed cow <<< you see what I did there :p , will always look cheap as soon as just a little bit of the faux finish wears away ... which is usually pretty quickly ... like in a couple of weeks on most of them. Don't fool yourself ... people know ;) . Go ahead ... emboss this:

hwa

So it's not just me? Phew.... I can't abide fake skins. Just don't get the point. It's like fake fur or veggie burgers made to look and taste like hamburgers. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    So it's not just me? Phew.... I can't abide fake skins. Just don't get the point. It's like fake fur or veggie burgers made to look and taste like hamburgers. What's the point?
    I agree and disagree with this in some regards. I'm an advocate that when an animal is slaughtered as many parts that can be used are. So if the meat, leather and fur are all used I support this. The only issue I have with the real skins is if the rest of the animal (if useable) is not put to waste. Its hard to know how certain items are sourced since there isn't a market opportunity in the watch strap industry for responsible leather, so I'm more a less just whining. Just my 2 cents. In the end I like both but sometimes if it is going on a cheaper watch I find it weird to shell out more than the cost of a watch for a strap.

follow my watch shenanigans on instagram @theoriginalripi
    Deledda and constant change like this.

Thread Information