Auto adjusting bracelet or strap that does not cost a small mortgage?

Thread: Auto adjusting bracelet or strap that does not cost a small mortgage?

Auto adjusting bracelet or strap that does not cost a small mortgage?

Dear all,

I'm sure this has been asked before, I did a quick search but could not find anything useful. If there is already a discussion somewhere please excuse my ignorance.

Anyway, my question is, I wear my watches rather tight on my wrist. If I adjust he strap in the morning it would rotate all around my wrist in the evening and vice versa, a strap set in the evening (or cold) would in effect become a vein compressor in the morning. I do not like the flexi bands, silicone is OK-ish but would not suit some of my watches, old NSA (which was brilliant, I owned one for a short time) and the Rolex offerings cost a small fortune. Is there anything that would probably copy the NSA strap with a spring buckle or anything like that? I could not find anything apart from the new Rolex auto bracelet...

Thanks!

Gabriel

Re: Auto adjusting bracelet or strap that does not cost a small mortgage?

Perrelet makes a slick self-adjusting bracelet but I am not sure if I have seen one from the aftermarket.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Hi Nokie, thanks for the answer.

Although I never came across the Perrelet brand, a quick google search revealed a batch of very nice looking and expensive watches. The one price I have seen, was a watch for over £1000, so I suppose the bracelets would indeed cost as much as an old NSA would :)

Also, I had somebody asking me, why I don't like the flexi bracelets. Well, most of them (to me) represent the seedier side of the seventies, although I love the decade's design and music, but the flexi bands are for me the Tom Joneses of the era :) Also I had a Swatch irony with a flexi band in the past and I remember not having too much hair left on my wrist after a year of use...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello,

Watchbandcenter.com sells 2 such bracelets, but it depends on what size you are after:

1) Stainless steel band 20mm brushed partly polished elegant from BEAR
    They have it in 22mm as well. I actually have this particular bracelet. It is a copy of the old NSA style bands, with a spring inside the clasp so it can be stretched by as much as 1 cm. The quality is so and so:it is made of folded metal (think the bracelet on a vintage Eterna Super KonTiki but thinner) and it doesn't cost a lot, so it can seem a bit flimsy. The clasp has striations meant to imitate the NSA clasps.

2) Watch band stainless steel Av-MB0112dc 22mm partly polished with clasp from Vollmer
    This one has an interesting clasp that can get extended using 2 lateral spring loaded pushers. I have actually ordered this one as well but have not received it yet.
    If the clasp is good quality, it is worth the price for this alone, I suppose. The bracelet itself is made of folded metal.

One more thing: the shipping for items less than a certain amount is very cheap but you don't get tracking at it takes a long time, so I suggest paying the extra money for tracked shipping.
    Last edited by black.dial; March 6th, 2014 at 16:52.

Hello black.dial, thanks for the info. That BEAR strap looks nice, like a typical 70's NSA band, would you say it is of a lesser quality? The NSA strap links are made out of folded stainless steel too...

It reminds me of the HMT Kedar, wherever I traveled, it seemed the Indians always had golden Rados with this type of bracelets. I stopped once a guy with this type of a watch, as I was intrigued, I thought there must be a huge batch of fake Rado Diastars out there, but no, HMT did a 'homage' piece, the Kedar :)

Hi szabgab,

I've never had an NSA bracelet, so I cannot compare the two. I would rate the bracelet quality as being good for a 30€ folded metal bracelet. I would have liked the steel to be a bit thicker though, but maybe that is because I put it on a rather large watch.

I saw that BEAR has a website where they sell their whole range of products and there are quite a few variations of this bracelet: Bear
    Their prices are higher than on watchbandcenter though. Go figure...

hi,just out of interest, how do you set the length? Just by removing links or is there any fine adjustment on the clasp too?

Each link can be removed and they are small, which should help getting the right fit. The clasp does not have sets of holes for sizing purpose, it only has the spring loaded extension piece. The clasp is also shorter than typical ones. I believe NSA bracelets were exactly the same

Hi black.dial, that's wright, if I remember correctly you sized them by removing the links and the spring gave an extra cm if needed to. The other clasps had two settings one wider, one tighter but again the sizing was done by removing the (rather narrow) links.

Thread Information