Best type of watch band for hot and wet weather?
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Best type of watch band for hot and wet weather?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best type of watch band for hot and wet weather?

My high level question is what type of watch band is most comfortable and performs best for wearing during hot weather with occasional exposure to water? For example, imagine living in southern USA during summer without air conditioning for half the day day and with A/C the remainder. So that one experiences a range of comfortable/uncomfortable temperatures each day. Also imagine weekend camping and wanting to take a shower while wearing your watch in order to kept it close by, such that the band will occasionally get wet.

My favorite strap material from a looks and comfort point of view is leather, but I do not think it works very well under these conditions. I have tried some cheap rubber straps but never found them comfortable. I have mostly been wearing a nylon (Nato) straps for the scenario described above. I like the nearly endless color combinations and I frequently change straps to keep things interesting. They dry pretty quickly if gotten wet, though I will sometimes take them off after showering and towel dry in order to accelerate the process. But the annoying aspect is that the relatively widely spaced punch holes in the strap do not provide enough leeway to adjust once the weather gets extra hot and sweaty. Where the weather is so hot one is tempted to remove their watch, but does not want to do so. Only about 2 holes are useful in a punched strap, one tight and one loose, though sometimes a third extra loose hole will be tried to get extra relief and an ill fitting watch.

Which brings me around to the question of metal (stainless steel) bands, might this type of band be a better option? The style with larger links and a micro adjustment (e.g. diver) or the fine/stiff mesh with lock down clasp for a different approach to micro adjustment. Up until now I had dismissed wearing any type of metal bracelets after a unsatisfying experience years ago with a cheap digital watch. But do their water resistance and potential for adjusting make them a better solution?

I have a couple of Perlon straps that should work better than the Nato, but I have not used them under these conditions yet. Perlon is my next attempt but I am wondering if perhaps metal is the better solution for hot and/or wet conditions?
    Imbiton likes this.

Re: Best type of watch band for hot and wet weather?

Tropic strap?

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Last edited by yankeexpress; January 24th, 2017 at 10:07.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As I was reading, I was thinking perlon, so you should try that.

I have a zuludiver rubber nato which I find more comfortable that your usual 2-piece rubber strap.

I was never previously a fan of bracelets, but having recently bought a Pelagos I can say the bracelet on that is amazing. Its titanium, but also its clasp has a spring in the microadjustment and its super easy to use without even taking the watch off. Thats a fair budget ask though.

When it comes to other metal bracelet options I found the type on the metal mesh style to be the most flexible/accurate for finding my size... but also a hassle taking the watch off, using an army knife or something to prize it open, realigning and then closing up again. You pretty much need to stop at a desk/table to do it, its not an easy on-the-move adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Imbiton likes this.

This ricebead is really comfortable, but so are so many other. Name:  20170124_084743.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  79.2 KB
    slcbbrown likes this.
    Benarus Sea Snake Crepas Cayman H2O Orcas & Tiburon Seiko Mods SKX007, SRP773 Raven Ventures & Endeavour Zenton B43 Zoretto Jotas

First option that came to mind too was perlon, though I have yet to try it myself (but am looking at ordering one really soon)

I live in hot and humid Singapore (it's hot and humid 95% of the time; the other 5% it rains cats and dogs), and while I love a nice leather strap, there are days that I'm out and about and I have always regretted leather straps on those ill-matched days, so unfortunately for the better part of my time, I've been on NATOs and Zulus.

Unless you spend exorbitant money on nylon straps, I wouldn't be too fussed about one or two holes starting to wear-and-tear. Most (if not all) of my NATO straps are $7-15 so if it begins to deteriorate, a replacement doesn't feel like too much of a pinch on the purse strings.

I'm a fan of Perlon during the summer. Easily washable and very breathable. Bonus is the micro-adjustability for when my arm swells from the heat.

Make sure to get the Eulit brand; they're not all created equal.
    calebk and Chromejob like this.

Stainless steel bracelet.

My most comfortable straps/bracelets for summer time in Hong Kong...

While I love how my numerous leather straps looks, they just don't work for summer.

a watch is meant to be worn

South East Asia has been my AO for a number of years now. Anything from formal dress at evening galas to knee deep in the muck in the bush. I wear a number of watches depending on what the day's activities will hold - which in one or two cases has led to unfortunate damage to the watch (an antique G-P took a hard hit and the crystal shattered....)

With respect to straps, I wear leather, perlon and metal (mesh and 'normal'). One of my preferred straps is an N80 leather NATO with canvas lining. It works well even in the local heat and humidity. However if I know I will be going afield, I wear nylon NATOs or Marine Nationale strap. I also have rigged a custom Perlon with a diver's clasp, which gives a lot of adjustability.

On that note, the diver's clasp with wet suit rachet is ideal for here as you can loosen the strap a small fraction to account for "heat swelling"

@Mui.Richard - that NATO in the top picture, can you divulge details? Xie xie ni!
    Last edited by Teppo458; January 25th, 2017 at 01:40. Reason: add PS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information