WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Best way to punch a hole in a leather strap?

35K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MisterV 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I've got a few leather straps that are too large and need some new holes. In the past, I've taken a tiny screwdriver and punched the whole that way. However, that's always messy and never looks clean afterwards. As these are high quality straps, I'd like the job to look nice.

Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
I bought the hole punch tool at Home Depot that hurkoj provided a link to in his post. The tool has multiple sizes, the smallest being 2mm which seems to be the most common hole size for straps. I used it on a strap I ordered without pre-punched holes and the result was perfect. It's worth the $8 even if you only use it a few times, just do a few practice tries on an old strap or piece of leather to get the feel of it.

#10 ·
I bought the tool and the smallest size (2mm) matched perfectly with the holes that came with the strap. It didn't punch as cleanly as the ones that came but it did the job MUCH better than I could have done with a nail and hammer or something of the sorts. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm very happy!

#12 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've a question - the watch straps that I have (normal CW and Rios leather straps, rather dressy) definitely have holes with 1mm diameter and not 2. I don't think the 2mm puncher would work there - or is the diameter indicated actually smaller?..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.