Better value than Bas and Lokes leather nato for Steinhart Ocean 1 Black?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gangrel
  • 1 Post By TripleCalendar

Thread: Better value than Bas and Lokes leather nato for Steinhart Ocean 1 Black?

Question Better value than Bas and Lokes leather nato for Steinhart Ocean 1 Black?

I just got a Steinhart Ocean 1 Black, and like many people, I am not a huge can of the clasp. And like many people, I really want this baby on a brown leather nato. I found one that I love from Bas and Lokes, and from what I've heard, they make quality stuff:

"Corbin" Mahagony Handmade Leather One Piece NATO Watch Straps

But before I go spending $80 on a nato, I wanted to know if there were any forum favorites or better value alternatives that I should consider.

Things that are important to me:

• Leather: I really prefer full grain leather (possibly top grain, if it's really really nice)
    • Construction: fully tanned, solid and heavy hardware, any stitching should be strong and durable.
    • Color: dark-medium brown

Re: Better value than Bas and Lokes leather nato for Steinhart Ocean 1 Black?

Bas and Lokes make damn fine straps. You can surely find a leather nato cheaper. I suspect it will not be of the same quality or match B&L on anything other than price. Short of going full custom bespoke strap you are going to have a very hard time finding a higher quality strap maker.

Note that this isn't what most will call NATO...the keeper is leather, not the 2 metal loops. Worn & Wound has Horween single-pass for a bit less...but with the metal loops. Crown & Buckle has a few different grades, and price points...with the metal loops. I think Hodinkee has (or maybe had) Horween single-pass, but I don't remember if they were notably less.

Also, it's important to realize that a single-pass strap can't be all that thick; full-grain leather often *won't* work. The strap has to pass between the case and the spring bar. Looking at pics of your watch, it looks like you've got a fair amount of room. However, I'd recommend checking. Take the bracelet off, at least of one end. Reinsert the spring bar. Try passing through some straps you've already got.

EDIT: you did say single-pass, but I'd also suggest checking out the Worn & Wound Model 2's. They are 2-piece, but in the single-layer style, and with stitching only at the end loops. You get much the same presentation: all smooth, clean leather.
    Last edited by gangrel; June 7th, 2016 at 21:24.
    Nokie likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Worn & Wound Model 2's
    Excellent suggestion. w&W makes great straps.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Banned

Not sure about their Natos but I think I've bought about 5 Bas & Lokes straps. The craftsmanship is incredible. I just got one in 2 days ago. Much better than any stock strap.
    Karkarov likes this.

Thread Information