Bracelet or Strap person?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bracelet or Strap person?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bracelet or Strap person?

Hey!

I have come to the conclusion that i can only wear leather straps. I don't know what it is, but i absolutely hate everything else. All my watches have a leather strap, and just the thought of having a metal bracelet makes me feel funny. Is anyone else like this, or am i just some lone wolf weirdo.

I think my preference has to with the idea that metal bracelet are a lot more flashy and 'look at me' while leather straps make the whole appearance look classy and yet simple. Metal, golden, etc bracelets do the opposite. At least, that is what i think. I guess it just has to do with preference style. Maybe i just don't like the feel of metal on my skin. I don't think i will ever wear a metal bracelet in my lifetime, it just doesn't fit my personality. But i guess i am really just asking to see if there is anyone else out there like me? probably not!

Edit: Whoops! turns out there is thread like this..doesn't appear i can delete this..sorry!
    Last edited by Perrier; July 23rd, 2016 at 09:03.

Re: Bracelet or Strap person?

For me it's a metal strap on my Steinhart diver because the no thru drilled lugs take me too long to put the metal bracelet back on. For my Seiko Turtle its either leather, rubber, or a 2 piece nato. I like the Steinhart dive watch bracelet because of the look, flat and screw pin links.
    Irregardless if you like a particular bracelet or strap, you should wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrier View Post
    Hey!

I have come to the conclusion that i can only wear leather straps. I don't know what it is, but i absolutely hate everything else. All my watches have a leather strap, and just the thought of having a metal bracelet makes me feel funny. Is anyone else like this, or am i just some lone wolf weirdo.

I think my preference has to with the idea that metal bracelet are a lot more flashy and 'look at me' while leather straps make the whole appearance look classy and yet simple. Metal, golden, etc bracelets do the opposite. At least, that is what i think. I guess it just has to do with preference style. Maybe i just don't like the feel of metal on my skin. I don't think i will ever wear a metal bracelet in my lifetime, it just doesn't fit my personality. But i guess i am really just asking to see if there is anyone else out there like me? probably not!

Edit: Whoops! turns out there is thread like this..doesn't appear i can delete this..sorry!
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, Bulova Lunar Pilot with date, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

I actually like the Hirsch performance strap. The raised channels mean only portion of the surface sits on your wrist, and the the one I have (Tiger) has a lot of ventilation holes which are small enough they're not noticeable except up close, so it looks like a solid leather strap and is comfortable in any circumstance, even with my Hamilton 40mm SS tool watch case on it.

I was a bit anti-bracelet. My hamilton has a massive, heavy solid link bracelet that's just too much in significant heat; the watch feels like a wet anchor and I much prefer the Hirsch on it in the heat. That strap makes it comfortable, and sweat has zero impact on the watch. I recently picked up first Rolex, a 114270 and in the same conditions, the bracelet doesn't feel like a steaming, wet anchor. It's probably due to significantly less mass and maybe that makes a difference when you're hot and sweaty. Like others, I love the oyster bracelet on it.

I picked up a Revue Thommen quartz Airspeed classic. The smaller titanium case and jubilee-esque bracelet are incredibly comfortable and lighter than the 114270. I can wear that anytime/anyplace.

So...with the right bracelet, I can enjoy both strap and bracelet. In the end, if you're not sweating and the watch head isn't too heavy, a nice leather strap can be luxury.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am definitely a strap person. I love the variety you can get from a leather strap, the leather feels more comfortable in general to me than a Nato or bracelet, and they can add a ton of class to a watch. That said I think bracelets are great for beater watches, or really any watch you plan to wear doing anything rough and tumble. Helping a buddy pack furniture, playing some basketball, going jogging, or maybe for a swim? These are things you don't want to do in a leather strap. Of course a rubber strap or nato works for those activities as well.
    watermanxxl likes this.

I'm a strap guy for sure, just because my small wrist can pull them better than metal bracelets. But with the right watch I can comfortably go with shark mesh, because if sized precisely it wraps the wrist nicely.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    BREITLING PREMIER AUTOMATIC 40 A37340351B1A1
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)

Outright strap guy for their variety of colors and leathers.
    A tad challenging to find a matching buckle of the same material and brand though.
    But that's what's make this a hobby.

All my bracelets are brand new and wrapped with their original protectors as such.

Bracelet or strap... yes.
    I live in the desert southwest US, so it's a bracelet during the summer on my outdoors watches because they don't get as hot/sweaty/sticky/smelly as straps.
    I have leather straps on my "nice watches" that will be worn under AC.
    I have NATO's on my outdoor cooler weather watches or watches I wear to the lake/swimming hole.
    Ulysse Nardin, DOXA, Tudor, Cuervo Y Sobrinos, Eterna, Rolex, Breitling, Sinn, Omega, Ball, Zenith​, Tissot, Sea-Gull, Dievas, ​Laco, Seiko, Orient Star, Casio, Suunto

Mix it up.

All my watches are on bracelets. I've tried leather but find it annoying as I like to be able to get the watch wet and wear it during any activity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Crate410 likes this.

I am a bracelet guy. They are all brushed to de-blingify them.

(Any watch other than a $25 Casio or three-hand Timex is jewelry, IMHO.)

Only half of my collection (divers) is such, however. Steel stabilizes them nicely.

The other half (field, deck, pilot) is split between NATOs and leather. Not as top-heavy, they are well suited to a lighter strap. But I'd prefer them to be on a bracelet regardless.
    Just my $0.02 as always.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information