braided 18mm strap, where to buy?

Thread: braided 18mm strap, where to buy?

braided 18mm strap, where to buy?

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy a braided strap like the ones
    in the photos below?

Many thanks!

Name:  a3.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  210.6 KBName:  Nomos_Ahoi-739x1024.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  114.0 KB

Re: braided 18mm strap, where to buy?

First place I would probably check out is ebay, using those search terms or something similar.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    First place I would probably check out is ebay, using those search terms or something similar.
    I did and unfortunately, not much really came back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Absolutely. I spent a long time trying to find a source for these when trying to find a replacement for a vintage military strap.

The braided type of strap you're looking for is called a Perlon strap. Perlon is a synthetic fiber made in Germany by Perlon-Monofil GmbH, properly known as Polyamide 6 (although Perlon and Nylon are sometimes referred to interchangeably, they are distinctly different fibers). If you Google "Perlon watch strap" you should be able to find a number of sellers. The one I found with the best selection is this one in the Netherlands. There are other sellers out there as well that will turn up in a Google search (mostly European based). Jurgens, in Germany, has a good selection of vintage style Perlon straps too (I suspect the Jurgens straps are better quality, and they have some style variations as well). Here's an interesting article about the differences in quality of construction from different Perlon strap makers, so you know what to look for.

Cheers.

Edit: I just searched eBay and someone has Italian 18mm Perlon straps for $11, HERE.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; March 7th, 2014 at 01:17.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    Absolutely. I spent a long time trying to find a source for these when trying to find a replacement for a vintage military strap.

The braided type of strap you're looking for is called a Perlon strap. Perlon is a synthetic fiber made in Germany by Perlon-Monofil GmbH, properly known as Polyamide 6 (although Perlon and Nylon are sometimes referred to interchangeably, they are distinctly different fibers). If you Google "Perlon watch strap" you should be able to find a number of sellers. The one I found with the best selection is this one in the Netherlands. There are other sellers out there as well that will turn up in a Google search (mostly European based). Jurgens, in Germany, has a good selection of vintage style Perlon straps too (I suspect the Jurgens straps are better quality, and they have some style variations as well). Here's an interesting article about the differences in quality of construction from different Perlon strap makers, so you know what to look for.

Cheers.
    Many thanks.

Do you know if they are available in a two-piece version, like the second photo I have above?

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by captnelson View Post
    Many thanks.

Do you know if they are available in a two-piece version, like the second photo I have above?
    I've never seen a two piece version for sale, and the NATO version in the first picture is very rare as well (almost all Perlon straps are single piece). The NOMOS strap in your second pic is probably custom made. It would be very easy to take the normal single piece Perlon strap, cut it into two standard lengths, then seal and stitch the ends to take spring bars. The single piece strap, however, will look the same on the watch as a two-piece, plus you get similar added security to what you get with a NATO strap in case you ever pop a spring bar. I'd wear it for awhile with the single piece strap before you cut it in two.

Here's what the single piece Perlon strap normally looks like (it's hard to distinguish from the two-piece version, and it lacks the extra hardware of a NATO). I have a 16mm Perlon on a vintage Rolex WWII military watch. Normally a single-piece would be the better choice.

Name:  Explorer_Perlon.jpg
Views: 2743
Size:  69.9 KB

... and here's the back side of the NOMOS model in your second pic, showing what they did to the strap. I daresay the only reason they put a custom two-piece Perlon strap on it, versus a single, is because of the display back.

Name:  Nomos_Perlon_s.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  102.4 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; March 7th, 2014 at 03:41.

Thanks. And that is the main reason I wanted a two-piece -- because
    the Seiko I want to put it on has a see-through display back.

Many thanks for all your help! Nice Rolex, btw

eBay seller squinky and aliasrichmond on http://www.broadarrow.net/ (join free, then send him a PM).
    Last edited by Bill Smith; March 8th, 2014 at 07:07.

Thread Information