A couple of Q's for the Strapmasters !!!

Thread: A couple of Q's for the Strapmasters !!!

A couple of Q's for the Strapmasters !!!

I'm going to try my hand at making my own strap, I've got a Radiomir homage so I need to make a 26mm wide strap. I'm lookng for suitable leather donors, baseball gloves, old belts etc. I've got a couple of questions for the accomplished strap makers though. I've seen people talk about tubes?? Are these needed or used? If so when and where? I plan on just doing a simple saddle stitch on my first strap. How do you equally space out your stitching holes? What do you use for a hole punch? I've seen a Tandy 4 in 1 hole punch but am thinking those holes might be too big for a nice stitch job? What size hole punch do you use for the buckle holes? I'll probably just source a 26mm pre-V buckle off of the Bay unless someone knows of a good alternative. Thanks for all you assistance
    Last edited by Suncoast; February 17th, 2012 at 17:09.

Re: A couple of Q's for the Strapmasters !!!

I think you mean 26mm, not 46mm.

Anyway, regardi ng tubes - used, yes - required, no. If your homage case requires springbars instead of bolts, steer clear of strap tubes - the only wat to ever get the strap off after it is installed would be to cut the tube/springabr, with a high likelyhood of damaging the strap and lug. I'd say for your first attemp, leave tubes alone.

For spacing holes, etc, I would describe a number of specific tools I use to accomplish this, but even the cheap ones arent cheap. If you are looking to experiment, use a ruler and a pencil to mark out the spacing of the holes, and then punch them with an awl or similar - just try to make sure you go straight up and down, or the hole on the underside won't match where it is on top. And have a board to drive it into; don't hurt yourself, which will be easy to do. The hole punch you are looking at is probably a tool to make the holes for the buckle tang, not for stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by CADstraps View Post
    I think you mean 26mm, not 46mm.

Ooopps, right you are, I edited my post!!!

This is the Tandy tool I was talking about
    4-in-1 punch 3052-00 - Tandy Leather Factory

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depending on the look you're looking for, like bigger stich, this one should do the trick:

Tandy Leather Factory - Thonging Chisel Set

Or you could use a overstiching wheel to mark the spots before going with an awl and needles.

Check some videos on Tany'S website, you'll get some nice advice.

The Radiomir uses removable wire lugs, so I think you could use tubes if you wanted. However, they tend to make the strap thick at that point. This looks great on the chunky Luminor style case. However, considering the taper of the Rad case, I would not use tubes, so that the strap would not appear heavier than the case where they meet.
    Dan

SAS SEA-01 #61/100...Steinhart Triton 30 atm...Steinhart Apollon...
    Oris TT1 Diver-Date...Victorinox Airboss Mach 4...Victorinox Dive Master 500...
    Citizen Orca, Nighthawk, Skyhawk...
    Etc...

Here are the two most versatile tools you can start with for strap making

A good divider like this Tandy Leather Factory - Wing Divider

This will let you mark your stitch lines an even distance from the edge of the strap, and allow you to create whatever hole distance for stitching you'd like. Also great for comparative measuring and a lot of other layout uses.

A good awl set like this Tandy Leather Factory - Craftool 4-in1 Awl Set will handle hole making. In a pinch go find a nice old ice pick. If you want to get super precise and consistent, use a drill press and a very small drill bit (this is how most of the makers of holsters and other really thick leather goods do it)

Of course a hole punch is going to come in handy also ;)

There are lots of other tools, 4 in 1 chisels of various sizes, stitch groovers, edge bevelers...etc, that can be more efficient or let you do more, but you can do what is needed with the above tools. The divider is for sure the most bang for the buck tool.(in a pinch, get a compass from a kids math set)
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

Thanks for the info, now in regards to leather? I'd like to eventually try my hand at a Baseball glove or ammo pouch band but think I should start with straight leather, would 2-3oz leather work if it was doubled over creating the buckle and spring bar loops? or would that be too light? When I was a kid I used to make some of the Tandy kits so I have some familiarity with dyeing and finishing leather.

2-3 oz would be ok for thinner dressy straps, 4,5 oz doubled would give you a beefier strap (around 4mm thick)
    You can watch something happen, you can make something happen, or you can stand there wondering what the hell just happened.

Thread Information